Had to Clear my house last night...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Had to Clear my house last night...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2009, 02:57 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Had to Clear my house last night...

It's quiet, and dark. As it should be at 4 am in the morning. Suddenly, there was a horrific crash, the sound of metal clobbering wood. In two seconds I'm on the side of the bed, with my wife next to me, and I grab my Glock 23 with nightsights, loaded with Remington Golden Saber jhp's. I kneel between the door and bed, 100% expecting to see an armed robber or meth-filled junkie coming through our small hallway. 15 seconds (which felt like an eternity) pass, no noise. I put on some shorts, take a deep breath, and go into the dining room/living room area, just outside of our bedroom. I breathe a sigh of relief, our entire over-the-door pantry rack had collapsed on the hardwood floor, no armed robber, no meth-filled junkie. Needless to say, it took a long time for our heart rates to go back down...

I learned some valuable lessons last night. First, I did some things right in my preparation:
- I kept my gun loaded and chambered. I would have been even more worried had I had to waste precious seconds loading a magazine and racking a slide.
- I kept my safe open at night. I shaved precious seconds not having to fumble with a key or combination.
- I had a Glock, with no external safety. Last night, I didn't want to think about manual safeties, I just wanted to grab a gun, and be prepared to shoot it.
- I had run through the scenario in my head once or twice, and knew where I would kneel in the room, if our house was broken in to.
- I had recently gotten the number for a local defense attorney, should I need one in a self-defense situation.

Now, some things I completely screwed up.
- I didn't have a flashlight. I really need to get a tactical flashlight.
- I didn't keep a pair of shorts near my gun safe, so I had to go the dresser to get them...
- When leaving the bedroom to clear the dining room, I had the gun pointed up and not down, not wise given that we live in an apt with neighbors upstairs.
- I didn't ever tell my wife what my plan was given a break in, which means I had to tell her last night to grab a phone, instead of it just being part of an action plan.

Other things I learned through this experience:
- I want a .45 ACP. Yes, the thought actually went through my mind last night "d*mn it, I need a .45, not a .40 S&W."
- I need training on clearing rooms
- I need training on firing a gun one-handed while using a flashlight
- I need training firing a gun while kneeling
- I need a tactical flashlight
- My Body Alarm Reaction is good. I can still hear, I didn't get tunnel vision, I saw my 3 night sights perfectly fine. However, my fine motor skills were non existent, as I was shaking and had a vice-grip on my Glock.
- 911 is useless. Had someone broken in, we would have called when we heard footsteps. It would have taken that person 3-5 seconds to get into our bedroom. That's enough time to enter and shoot, stab, whatever.
- Laser sites could be very beneficial for my home-defense gun, if the need arose to fire the weapon from a less-than-ideal angle...

I pray that we will never be awoken by an intruder from without, but if we are, I am now that much more prepared, and know the training that I need to be even more prepared.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-22-2009, 03:02 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I'm glad you're both okay and that it was a false alarm. It's also good that you had a real world opportunity to check out the positives and negatives in your plan.

Number one on the flashlight. I keep a small Surefire right next to my pistol.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-22-2009, 03:27 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Glad it worked out ok and you picked up on the +/- of youre situation. You can never run enough drills to prepare for the real thing. I too need to work on firing grips with a light just incase

+2 on the flashlight I always keep my .45 and the surfire side by side on my nightstand or in the drawer

Old 07-22-2009, 03:37 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I'm glad you're both okay and that it was a false alarm. It's also good that you had a real world opportunity to check out the positives and negatives in your plan.

Number one on the flashlight. I keep a small Surefire right next to my pistol.
I'm going to be purchasing a Surefire or something similar very soon. I'll start practicing at the range with a one-hand grip and light in the other once I get it.

Now to start researching which flashlights are the brightest that use AA batteries. 120 lumens should be a good starting place...

Old 07-22-2009, 03:56 AM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

It don't sleep very much or very well, so when I finally do fall asleep it would take a nuclear blast to get me up...and with the A/C running I can't even hear the dogs bark!

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 07-22-2009, 04:18 AM   #6

Thanks for sharing that experience. Your learnings are now mine too!

One thing a co-coworker recommended to me is a Pelltor (spelling?) headset, which protects your hearing in case you have to shoot, yet at the same time it amplifies low-level sounds so you can hear the "bad guys" planning their next move. Sounds like a great idea to me, and Amazon has what seems like two suitable models, a "tactical 6" for $70, and a "tactical 7" model for $110. Seems like a good investment to me. Anyone else know about this?

- Mossberg 500 12G Tactical: Adjustable stock + pistol grip
- Springfield XD-45ACP, 4" Service Model

Still don't know nuthin', but I'm a-learnin!

Old 07-22-2009, 04:20 AM   #7

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by feedsasquatch View Post
I'm going to be purchasing a Surefire or something similar very soon. I'll start practicing at the range with a one-hand grip and light in the other once I get it.

Now to start researching which flashlights are the brightest that use AA batteries. 120 lumens should be a good starting place...
Before you go cashing out for the surefire take a look at this 300 Lumens R2 CREE 5 mode tactical light I got for ~ 60$.

Spiderfire R2 CREE LED 5 Modes Combat Torch Set SF-X666

I've had this flashlight for almost a year and it has proven to be a great asset.

It's not a AA but uses CR 123A lithium, a fact I have not found to be a disadvantage.

I have purchased several items from this vendor with no problems.

Save some money and buy more ammo, or a 45ACP!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-22-2009, 05:56 AM   #8

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Thanks Cane for the information, I have been looking for a torch just like that for a while and they have come down in price too.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 07-22-2009, 02:00 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Kitchen appliances generally scare the crap out of me too.

I'm glad it worked out & it sounds like it was a great "shake-down" drill. I wonder how well one of those $15 headlamps would do; i wouldn't really want a lighted "shoot here" sign on my noggin, though. Though my pistol is right beside my bed, i would probably grab the Mossy pump12 right beside it if possible; i'm considering some kind of light mounted on it for late night problems.

Have you considered leaving some holiday bells hanging on the door or "easy access" entryways?

Old 07-30-2009, 11:00 PM   #10

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

What I don't get is why you took the time to put shorts on. I'm positive the sight of somebody my size naked & holding a large handgun & light would scare the bejeebers out of a burglar.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!