A guy at work got a new firearm...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > A guy at work got a new firearm...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 10:05 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 284 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default A guy at work got a new firearm...

So Im sitting at work eating lunch about 30 minutes ago and I started talking to this guy about guns. He has his Cpl and carrys a firearm, but he bought a S&W semi auto dont know what model, about three weeks ago at the gun show that rolled into town. He said hes carried it since he bought it. He has yet to take it to the range and see if it functions or if its reliable. He just loaded the mag, feed a round in the chamber and off he went..... I told him thats the dumbest thing he could ever do and we got into a little argument over it. Nothing serious just a little pissing match. I have been carrying my Glock and have been doing so for almost nine months but I have shot probally 3000+ rounds through it and I know where to aim and I know its reliable. I just dont understand how anyone could carry a firearm that they have never shot before? Maby his weapon shoots three feet to the left and a foot high at seven yards. I told him that, and told him hopfully he dont figure out that his sights are off when he actually needs it. Just had to share my story form work.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-19-2012, 12:11 PM   #2

Liked 280 Times on 221 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Newbe stupid!!. Invite him to go shooting with you. Maybe he will say yes and he can start the learning process.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:36 PM   #3

Liked 406 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 4

There are a lot of CC types like your co-worker. They take the class, fire on the range, (usually not their carry gun), get their CC, buy a weapon, stick it in their belt and head out the door. You perform to the level of your training. If you've never trained with your carry gun, and the worst happens, you'll fail. More than likely Mr. Bad Guy will wind up with his gun and yours.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:01 PM   #4

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
There are a lot of CC types like your co-worker. They take the class, fire on the range, (usually not their carry gun), get their CC, buy a weapon, stick it in their belt and head out the door. You perform to the level of your training. If you've never trained with your carry gun, and the worst happens, you'll fail. More than likely Mr. Bad Guy will wind up with his gun and yours.
Yup- Scarey when you really think about the numbers

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 12-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #5

Liked 2007 Times on 1107 Posts
Likes Given: 1342

I would have said, "Lets go out after work and shoot that baby!"

I bought my Kahr to replace my J-frame for daily pocket carry. But I waited 3 or 4 days until I put a couple boxes of rounds through it. I was not disapointed by the way.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:16 PM   #6

Liked 125 Times on 89 Posts

my wife and I were talking about this last night. Think about how many stupid people you run into through the course of a day. you know, the moron at the grocery store who can't park their own car without tieing up 4 parking spaces? the lady putting on makeup as they drive down the freeway, the manager at work who makes you perform mindless, redundant, pointless busy work because they think it's beneficial, and they're all allowed to buy guns

these are the same kinds of people who will buy guns but not do any training, they won't lock up their guns when they're not in use, they won't go train with their guns to know how to operate them, or even worse...they buy them ONLY because it's cool or because it MIGHT become illegal to buy them later.

Now, we are all for gun ownership (obviously! I didn't sign up here to troll! haha) but we also believe in RESPONSIBLE gun ownership. I don't want more government control at all, but at the same time, when you think about the kind of people rushing out and buying guns for the first time who haven't fully thought through the purchase, they haven't sought out any real training... it can be kind of scarey.

I don't know what the answer is. I do know that more government control/requirements is NOT it.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:26 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5986 Times on 3131 Posts
Likes Given: 427

The upside is most goblins do the same thing. Steal a gun chamber a round in the pants it goes till they need to rape someone. So the playing fielld in that respect is level....

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 12-19-2012, 02:03 PM   #8

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
The upside is most goblins do the same thing. Steal a gun chamber a round in the pants it goes till they need to rape someone. So the playing fielld in that respect is level....
A little ray of sunshine thru the cloud

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 12-19-2012, 02:22 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5986 Times on 3131 Posts
Likes Given: 427

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
A little ray of sunshine thru the cloud
Anytime!!

its why goblins lose to trained folks on such an regular basis. The whole mindset of being a murderous thug stems from laziness. If they had a work ethic to begin with they wouldnt be robbing and raping.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 12-19-2012, 02:33 PM   #10
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2370 Times on 1281 Posts
Likes Given: 679

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Anytime!!

its why goblins lose to trained folks on such an regular basis. The whole mindset of being a murderous thug stems from laziness. If they had a work ethic to begin with they wouldnt be robbing and raping.
It is also the only way they could ever exercise control over anyone. Unfortunately once they experience that control, they want more and it becomes addictive.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.