Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   A guy at work got a new firearm... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/guy-work-got-new-firearm-78861/)

fupuk 12-19-2012 09:05 AM

A guy at work got a new firearm...

So Im sitting at work eating lunch about 30 minutes ago and I started talking to this guy about guns. He has his Cpl and carrys a firearm, but he bought a S&W semi auto dont know what model, about three weeks ago at the gun show that rolled into town. He said hes carried it since he bought it. He has yet to take it to the range and see if it functions or if its reliable. He just loaded the mag, feed a round in the chamber and off he went..... I told him thats the dumbest thing he could ever do and we got into a little argument over it. Nothing serious just a little pissing match. I have been carrying my Glock and have been doing so for almost nine months but I have shot probally 3000+ rounds through it and I know where to aim and I know its reliable. I just dont understand how anyone could carry a firearm that they have never shot before? Maby his weapon shoots three feet to the left and a foot high at seven yards. I told him that, and told him hopfully he dont figure out that his sights are off when he actually needs it. Just had to share my story form work.

hardluk1 12-19-2012 11:11 AM

Newbe stupid!!. Invite him to go shooting with you. Maybe he will say yes and he can start the learning process.

Donn 12-19-2012 11:36 AM

There are a lot of CC types like your co-worker. They take the class, fire on the range, (usually not their carry gun), get their CC, buy a weapon, stick it in their belt and head out the door. You perform to the level of your training. If you've never trained with your carry gun, and the worst happens, you'll fail. More than likely Mr. Bad Guy will wind up with his gun and yours.

HOSSFLY 12-19-2012 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donn (Post 1057646)
There are a lot of CC types like your co-worker. They take the class, fire on the range, (usually not their carry gun), get their CC, buy a weapon, stick it in their belt and head out the door. You perform to the level of your training. If you've never trained with your carry gun, and the worst happens, you'll fail. More than likely Mr. Bad Guy will wind up with his gun and yours.

Yup- Scarey when you really think about the numbers :(

Rick1967 12-19-2012 12:15 PM

I would have said, "Lets go out after work and shoot that baby!"

I bought my Kahr to replace my J-frame for daily pocket carry. But I waited 3 or 4 days until I put a couple boxes of rounds through it. I was not disapointed by the way.

70cuda383 12-19-2012 12:16 PM

my wife and I were talking about this last night. Think about how many stupid people you run into through the course of a day. you know, the moron at the grocery store who can't park their own car without tieing up 4 parking spaces? the lady putting on makeup as they drive down the freeway, the manager at work who makes you perform mindless, redundant, pointless busy work because they think it's beneficial, and they're all allowed to buy guns :eek:

these are the same kinds of people who will buy guns but not do any training, they won't lock up their guns when they're not in use, they won't go train with their guns to know how to operate them, or even worse...they buy them ONLY because it's cool or because it MIGHT become illegal to buy them later.

Now, we are all for gun ownership (obviously! I didn't sign up here to troll! haha) but we also believe in RESPONSIBLE gun ownership. I don't want more government control at all, but at the same time, when you think about the kind of people rushing out and buying guns for the first time who haven't fully thought through the purchase, they haven't sought out any real training... it can be kind of scarey.

I don't know what the answer is. I do know that more government control/requirements is NOT it.

JonM 12-19-2012 12:26 PM

The upside is most goblins do the same thing. Steal a gun chamber a round in the pants it goes till they need to rape someone. So the playing fielld in that respect is level....

HOSSFLY 12-19-2012 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 1057675)
The upside is most goblins do the same thing. Steal a gun chamber a round in the pants it goes till they need to rape someone. So the playing fielld in that respect is level....

A little ray of sunshine thru the cloud :)

JonM 12-19-2012 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOSSFLY (Post 1057698)
A little ray of sunshine thru the cloud :)

Anytime!!

its why goblins lose to trained folks on such an regular basis. The whole mindset of being a murderous thug stems from laziness. If they had a work ethic to begin with they wouldnt be robbing and raping.

JTJ 12-19-2012 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 1057714)
Anytime!!

its why goblins lose to trained folks on such an regular basis. The whole mindset of being a murderous thug stems from laziness. If they had a work ethic to begin with they wouldnt be robbing and raping.

It is also the only way they could ever exercise control over anyone. Unfortunately once they experience that control, they want more and it becomes addictive.