Guns with Nickel
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

Guns with Nickel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 09:26 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Guns with Nickel

Hello, I am somewhat new to handguns.
I have been renting several type at the range. I found one I like and just looked and read that it is nickel and not Stainless Steel. Is nickel ok? Is it easy or hard to take care of? How do you clean nickel?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-16-2012, 10:34 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dslmac2
Hello, I am somewhat new to handguns.
I have been renting several type at the range. I found one I like and just looked and read that it is nickel and not Stainless Steel. Is nickel ok? Is it easy or hard to take care of? How do you clean nickel?
Nobody has anything to say about a nickel slide? This is the second forum I have ask a serious question about it and nobody touches this question. Must be not-so-good huh?

Old 02-16-2012, 11:48 PM   #3
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 12825 Times on 5482 Posts
Likes Given: 2097

(Burp) Sorry, was wading thru some BBQ, beans and tater salad-

Nickel was sort of the original rust resistant finish. Started catching on about 1880 or so, and continued up to introduction of stainless, when it started going away.

Nickel is hard, and does not rust. I have a few nickelplated revolvers that are 100 yrs old, and are still in good shape. That was inportant in the days of black powder, and later with corrosive primers.

Nickel does not need much cleaning, wipe down with solvent and a cloth. SHINY nickel should be avoided on a CCW gun (IMHO). Nothing wrong with nickel- matter of personal taste.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
(Burp) Sorry, was wading thru some BBQ, beans and tater salad-

Nickel was sort of the original rust resistant finish. Started catching on about 1880 or so, and continued up to introduction of stainless, when it started going away.

Nickel is hard, and does not rust. I have a few nickelplated revolvers that are 100 yrs old, and are still in good shape. That was inportant in the days of black powder, and later with corrosive primers.

Nickel does not need much cleaning, wipe down with solvent and a cloth. SHINY nickel should be avoided on a CCW gun (IMHO). Nothing wrong with nickel- matter of personal taste.
Thanks c3Shooter,
Yum BBQ sounds good right about now.
I have been shooting the Walther PK380 at the range. I like it. They sell a black and Nickel slide for that model, so I was just really interested in what people thought about nickel.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:45 AM   #5

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Guns made in America come under EPA production rules. The EPA rules that protects shop workers makes it about impossible to use nickle.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:51 AM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

IMO Nickel guns are purdy

2 favorites of mine:

Guns with Nickel - Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection
Guns with Nickel - Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Old 02-17-2012, 01:22 AM   #7

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

One caution about nickle. I think there are a couple of methods for nickle plating steel, but the one I know about uses a copper sub base. So, cleaning solvents which contain ammonia can get to the copper & then the nickle will start flaking off. Hoppes #9 is one such cleaner. Bad thing is, they don't always say what's in them on the container. You have to go to their website & pull up the MSDS.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:26 PM   #8

Liked 1546 Times on 901 Posts
Likes Given: 2480

I've had a few nickel-plated guns, still have a S&W Model 58 that is nickeled. They look great when new, and stay that way if well cared for. Cleaning them can destroy the finish, though. Don't use any solvent with ammonia in it. In fact, for cleaning the nickel surfaces, you can do well to just wipe them with a soft cloth dampened with a little water. Just be sure to dry it well. To clean the barrel (and chambers if a revolver), use a solvent that proudly announces on the container that it has no ammonia in it. Don't worry about whether to carry it for self-defense. The dead perp will never file a complaint.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:24 PM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I wipe down my nickle guns with a soft cloth and a little
Weapon Shield lubricant. There is nothing wrong with a
good quality nickle plated firearm.
Certified in napping
Certified in BBQ on the Green Egg