Guns and Knives - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Guns and Knives

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2010, 05:03 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bluesky View Post
This is not true. According to MI law, persons without a military ID may carry a concealed blade (In a pocket counts as concealed) of no more than 3 inches.
Well, that is state law:
Quote:
750.226 Firearm or dangerous weapon; carrying with unlawful intent.
Sec. 226.
Carrying firearm or dangerous weapon with unlawful intent—Any person who, with intent to use the same unlawfully against the person of another, goes armed with a pistol or other firearm or dagger, dirk, razor, stiletto, or knife having a blade over 3 inches in length, or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument, shall be guilty of a felony, punishable by imprisonment in the state prison for not more than 5 years or by a fine of not more than 2,500 dollars.
But that is with unlawful intent - so as long as I'm carrying my 5.8" blade as a tool, I'm good, right?
But again, that is state law - there is no preemption for knives - local governments can make laws further restricting the use/carry of knives - unlike firearms which is covered by state preemption.

Really, I don't see anything in the MCL the prevents me from walking around with a katana with lawful intent, but its not worth risking my CPL to do it, even if my katana is 2.75"

Last edited by bullpuppies; 09-17-2010 at 04:09 PM.

Old 09-17-2010, 05:04 AM   #32

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Not all the time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyEclipse View Post
Actually, I love that quote because it is so wrong.
Statistically if I were 21 feet from a armed civilian...I could pull a knife and stab him before he could pull the gun from his holster.

Knives are highly underrated as a CQC weapon.
Of course, most people would be too frightened of a man with a gun.
But there are those crazies out there and those are the ones that normally survive the gun shot wounds long enough to kill those around them.

Buzzard Bait-You are well prepared then. =)
Well that is not true all the time for everyone! Yes, if you have your head up your butt then I guess you will get stabbed before you can draw your pistol. I know for a fact that I can draw my Pocket Pistol and get off a shot before the knife guy can get within 10 feet of me and that is a fact. This is a training method that they use at the Academy to show new recruits how dangerous it is if you are not ALERT. Go ahead and try it for yourself, don't take my word!

Old 09-17-2010, 10:45 PM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1318 Times on 643 Posts
Likes Given: 81

I have carried a pocket knife since I was younger then 10. Had the same on for 30 years until airport security took it away when I forgot I had it on me. I carry about a 2 1/2" buck knife. Never thought of it as self defense though, but in a pinch it would work.

Old 09-18-2010, 02:57 AM   #34
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2472 Times on 1324 Posts
Likes Given: 879

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daoust_Nat View Post
I have carried a pocket knife since I was younger then 10. Had the same on for 30 years until airport security took it away when I forgot I had it on me. I carry about a 2 1/2" buck knife. Never thought of it as self defense though, but in a pinch it would work.
That's why I carry Swiss army knives with no sentimental meaning to me. I don't lose knives often, but I've probably gone through a dozen or so over the years.

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 09-18-2010, 04:56 AM   #35

Liked 40 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daoust_Nat View Post

Daoust,

This will not help you now but for future reference TSA at the airport cannot take anything away from you at the security check point. They do not have any seizure authority so if they say you canít take something you can take it back to the ticket counter and put it in your checked baggage, give it to someone not going through security (wife, kids, friend) that took you to the airport or just give it to a stranger. TSA will not tell you this and will just take it unless you protest and tell them you will remove it from the area. I found this out when I had a problem with TSA in Gulfport, Mississippi and they wanted to take my hand grenades from my training kit. I said I needed a receipt for the item as it was government property and I had to make a loss report. They said they donít give receipts and I asked how they could seize something without giving a hand receipt. They said they were not seizing it but that I was abandoning it. My response was two words beginning with Bull and ending in poop. Needless to say this is how I found out TSA has little to no real enforcement authority. Also if you pass by TSA at the check point they cannot physically stop you they can only follow you and call the airport police, now the airport police they will arrest you so donít try this to prove a point.

Scubie