Guns and Knives - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Guns and Knives

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2010, 10:58 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Knives are good. Knives are useful. Guns are better.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-20-2010, 05:37 AM   #12

Guns require bullets. Knives require nothing.
Guns aren't better, if anything, they are equal.

I love my guns but I also love my knives.

Old 02-20-2010, 01:48 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Not gonna argue.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-21-2010, 03:46 AM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I carry a little 2 inch lock blade knife for general use.

I also walk a lot and after having a number of the towns dogs charge me I started carring a 7 inch Fusion blade by Sog and a big bottle of mase. The sherriff didn't think I needed a CCW to carry my LCR.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:59 AM   #15

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I to have carried a knife since a young age. i currently carry my benchmade bali-song or my winchester fixed blade. I figure if i run out of ammo ill just use my knife skills and training and hopefully kill the ****er thats trying to harm me... or my family or friends.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:11 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 84 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyEclipse View Post
Actually, I love that quote because it is so wrong.
Statistically if I were 21 feet from a armed civilian...I could pull a knife and stab him before he could pull the gun from his holster.
Can you prove that? Don't get my wrong, I have carried a knife of some sort every day since I was a kid and I probably always will but if someone attacks me, I'm not going for my knife. You don't think I can clear leather and at least burry the barrel into your gut and get a round off by the time you reach me?

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 02-21-2010, 02:47 PM   #17

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyEclipse View Post
Actually, I love that quote because it is so wrong.
Statistically if I were 21 feet from a armed civilian...I could pull a knife and stab him before he could pull the gun from his holster.

Knives are highly underrated as a CQC weapon.
Of course, most people would be too frightened of a man with a gun.
But there are those crazies out there and those are the ones that normally survive the gun shot wounds long enough to kill those around them.

Buzzard Bait-You are well prepared then. =)
You have that somewhat backwards. I believe you were trying to reference the Tueller drill.

Tueller Drill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's about a goblin already having the kinfe out and you having a gun holstered, not about drawing a knife or gun faster.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:47 PM   #18

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Gott'a agree with Brian. I CC, and as I am armed right now, you're going to have lead coming at you from a moving target before you close the original distance. I only say that because I'm one of those weirdos that stands in his living room and practices over and over and over again. It's not an obsession, it's just a responsibility.
And I do own a knife or two:

Last edited by gorknoids; 02-21-2010 at 08:09 PM.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:31 PM   #19

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

That is outstanding Gork, because everyone who carries better be practicing to be able to move and shoot at the same time IMO. Whether it be forward or lateral, or even backwards. A moving target is much harder to strike then a stationary target. To aggressively move closer to your target, the greater your chances of striking your target, using cover, if necessary.

Failure to move forward or laterally of your target can be a tactical mistake in some situations.....like here.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 02-21-2010, 10:03 PM   #20

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

A little creativity is all you need to anchor some of the basics. At my regular range, about all they have to mix things up are patritions on both sides of the lane. With them, you can work on popping out single-handed on either side, two-handed either side, and transition from standing to kneeling and back in slow-fire mode. Muzzle ettiquette and trigger timing are the real safety concerns, but the employment thought is getting on target from several different positions in rapid succession without actually being to see it. It's not much, but it's a step above 4K rounds in a perfect Weaver stance.
Practice only works if you find weak points, so when you think you have something suitcased, make it a little harder. It keeps it fun, and it makes you better.
Great example in the video. If the knife-thrower had a gun, the video would have been quite a bit shorter.

Last edited by gorknoids; 02-21-2010 at 10:07 PM.