Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Guns and Knives

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2010, 08:21 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Guns and Knives

I've NEVER understood why people think carrying a concealed gun is more important than carrying a knife. I personally think its far more important to have a knife readily available. A knife is a multi-tool, a gun can also be a multi-tool but guns are more of a single purpose tool. I have carried a knife almost everyday of my life since I was around the age of five. I became an avid collector at five and I've never looked back. Now I understand the want for a CCW but I find a knife to be just as useful as a gun and maybe even more so in fact. Don't get me wrong, I love my guns and I understand the need and want to have one on my person but I see my knives as just as important as my guns. So my question to you all is, do you carry a knife?
And how important is carrying a knife to you compared to carrying a firearm?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-19-2010, 11:11 AM   #2

I have carried a knife since my earliest memories, I'm 49. I always carry two, one is a midsize pocket knife for utility purposes, the other is a larger defensive blade. And then there is the large multitool that is usually nearby.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:38 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Check out the "Other Weapons" section. There's a bunch of knife stuff there.
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f32/

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-19-2010, 06:07 PM   #4

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

A knife is valuable; however, never bring a knife to a gunfight...

Old 02-19-2010, 08:23 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

As much as I love knives (and believe me, I do love them), I consider them tools that can be a last ditch weapon rather than pure weapons. In most posible scenarios, I'd rather be armed with a gun than a knife.

I do carry at least a couple of knives all the time, but mostly for their utility value. I train knife fighting (mostly with kerambits and hawkbills) because I believe in being as prepared as posible, and because carry permits in my country are good for only one year and it's quite common for the government not to renew them for a couple of years after they expire. So I might not always be able to carry a gun.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 02-19-2010, 10:04 PM   #6

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

A knife is a KNife, not a multi-tool. They arent screwdrivers or chisels, cause damnit, Ive broken plenty of good blades by trying to use them as such.......

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 02-19-2010, 10:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
A knife is valuable; however, never bring a knife to a gunfight...
Actually, I love that quote because it is so wrong.
Statistically if I were 21 feet from a armed civilian...I could pull a knife and stab him before he could pull the gun from his holster.

Knives are highly underrated as a CQC weapon.
Of course, most people would be too frightened of a man with a gun.
But there are those crazies out there and those are the ones that normally survive the gun shot wounds long enough to kill those around them.

Buzzard Bait-You are well prepared then. =)

Old 02-19-2010, 10:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
A knife is a KNife, not a multi-tool. They arent screwdrivers or chisels, cause damnit, Ive broken plenty of good blades by trying to use them as such.......
A knife cuts rope and it cuts skin...therefore...multitool.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:49 PM   #9

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyEclipse View Post
Actually, I love that quote because it is so wrong. Statistically if I were 21 feet from a armed civilian...I could pull a knife and stab him before he could pull the gun from his holster.

Knives are highly underrated as a CQC weapon.
Indeed, many armed men with a firearm have fallen pray to an individual with a blade, by frontal assault and especially from behind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyEclipse View Post
A knife cuts rope and it cuts skin...therefore...multitool.
A knife can be used for many purposes, but mainly for cutting, slicing, scraping, stabbing and puncture purposes, so it is more of a "multi-cutting" tool.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 02-19-2010, 10:50 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
Used a knife to fix my mouse at a LAN party once. Definite multi-tool.
Ruger Mk III Competition .22 LR, S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm