Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Guns and Knives (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/guns-knives-23589/)

GreyEclipse 02-19-2010 08:21 AM

Guns and Knives

I've NEVER understood why people think carrying a concealed gun is more important than carrying a knife. I personally think its far more important to have a knife readily available. A knife is a multi-tool, a gun can also be a multi-tool but guns are more of a single purpose tool. I have carried a knife almost everyday of my life since I was around the age of five. I became an avid collector at five and I've never looked back. Now I understand the want for a CCW but I find a knife to be just as useful as a gun and maybe even more so in fact. Don't get me wrong, I love my guns and I understand the need and want to have one on my person but I see my knives as just as important as my guns. So my question to you all is, do you carry a knife?
And how important is carrying a knife to you compared to carrying a firearm?

Buzzard Bait 02-19-2010 11:11 AM

I have carried a knife since my earliest memories, I'm 49. I always carry two, one is a midsize pocket knife for utility purposes, the other is a larger defensive blade. And then there is the large multitool that is usually nearby.

CA357 02-19-2010 01:38 PM

Check out the "Other Weapons" section. There's a bunch of knife stuff there.
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f32/

NGIB 02-19-2010 06:07 PM

A knife is valuable; however, never bring a knife to a gunfight...:D

Franciscomv 02-19-2010 08:23 PM

As much as I love knives (and believe me, I do love them), I consider them tools that can be a last ditch weapon rather than pure weapons. In most posible scenarios, I'd rather be armed with a gun than a knife.

I do carry at least a couple of knives all the time, but mostly for their utility value. I train knife fighting (mostly with kerambits and hawkbills) because I believe in being as prepared as posible, and because carry permits in my country are good for only one year and it's quite common for the government not to renew them for a couple of years after they expire. So I might not always be able to carry a gun. :(

willfully armed 02-19-2010 10:04 PM

A knife is a KNife, not a multi-tool. They arent screwdrivers or chisels, cause damnit, Ive broken plenty of good blades by trying to use them as such.......

GreyEclipse 02-19-2010 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NGIB (Post 232951)
A knife is valuable; however, never bring a knife to a gunfight...:D

Actually, I love that quote because it is so wrong.
Statistically if I were 21 feet from a armed civilian...I could pull a knife and stab him before he could pull the gun from his holster.

Knives are highly underrated as a CQC weapon.
Of course, most people would be too frightened of a man with a gun.
But there are those crazies out there and those are the ones that normally survive the gun shot wounds long enough to kill those around them.

Buzzard Bait-You are well prepared then. =)

GreyEclipse 02-19-2010 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willfully armed (Post 233057)
A knife is a KNife, not a multi-tool. They arent screwdrivers or chisels, cause damnit, Ive broken plenty of good blades by trying to use them as such.......

A knife cuts rope and it cuts skin...therefore...multitool.

IGETEVEN 02-19-2010 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreyEclipse (Post 233058)
Actually, I love that quote because it is so wrong. Statistically if I were 21 feet from a armed civilian...I could pull a knife and stab him before he could pull the gun from his holster.

Knives are highly underrated as a CQC weapon.

Indeed, many armed men with a firearm have fallen pray to an individual with a blade, by frontal assault and especially from behind.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreyEclipse (Post 233060)
A knife cuts rope and it cuts skin...therefore...multitool.

A knife can be used for many purposes, but mainly for cutting, slicing, scraping, stabbing and puncture purposes, so it is more of a "multi-cutting" tool.

Jack

Mr. Bluesky 02-19-2010 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willfully armed (Post 233057)

Used a knife to fix my mouse at a LAN party once. Definite multi-tool.