Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Are guns in bars legal in your state?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2011, 07:18 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Are guns in bars legal in your state?

I live in Ohio and have had my CCW for 3 years. Our Governor is about to sign a bill allowing me to carry my legal weapon, concealed, into liquor establishments (from Red Lobster to the ever popular "Dew Drop Inn".) That is, so long as the proprieter of the bar has not posted a "No Guns Allowed" sign.

As you might imagine, this new legislation has been hotly discussed in the media as the second coming of the gunfight at the OK corral. Just like the issuance of the CCW's was when it was legalized.

The one fact that the opponents completely ignore in their hysterical warnings is that this is already legal (or so I am told) in many other states. Without mass shootings over spilled Lobsteritas. Apparently we Ohioans are a different breed from the rest of you guys. WE cannot be trusted.

My question is, in just HOW MANY (and WHICH) states can you carry your loaded weapon legally in a liquor establishment? I have seen different numbers mentioned and my guide to the firearms laws in the 50 states does not seem to mention this one aspect.

I know I could (and eventually will) go the the websites for the various states and get a definitive answer. But I thought it be interesting to hear the various differences in the law in each state from more concerned individuals.

I would also be interested to know if your state has the "No Guns" sign and what the penalty is for ignoring it.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-19-2011, 07:37 PM   #2
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1905 Times on 1042 Posts
Likes Given: 691

Iowa allows carry in bars. If discovered with a weapon in an establishment with posted no guns allowed, there is no penalty unless you refuse to leave then you are charged with trespassing.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 06-19-2011, 07:39 PM   #3

Liked 619 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
If discovered with a weapon in an establishment with posted no guns allowed, there is no penalty unless you refuse to leave then you are charged with trespassing.
I did not know that. Good info.

As for the bar thing though, I get pretty stupid when drinking and would save my ass by just leaving it at home. I'd get drunk and try cleaning it on the bar or something stupid like that.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:51 PM   #4
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1905 Times on 1042 Posts
Likes Given: 691

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtJester View Post
I did not know that. Good info.

As for the bar thing though, I get pretty stupid when drinking and would save my ass by just leaving it at home. I'd get drunk and try cleaning it on the bar or something stupid like that.
Except for the few places stipulated in the law like schools. Get caught carrying there and you're in deep kimshee. And carrying while intoxicated is strictly verboten.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 06-19-2011, 09:31 PM   #5

Liked 111 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 229

They say 4 out of 10 cars you pass on the road has a gun in it...That's alot when you think about it.....If there all legal or not is another story.....Think of ALL the cars you pass every day...If that's true....That's alot of guns....I bet the tow yard for cars gets all kinds of stuff after they tow a car...and...You know they do...A friend of mine had his car towed and they cleaned it-out...trunk and all...........

Old 06-19-2011, 09:57 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7557 Times on 3290 Posts
Likes Given: 1121

In Virginia you may carry in a bar, but not imbibe while carrying concealed. Originally you could, but for several years, you could NOT carry, and now, once again, you can. Has not been a problem.

Would ask a reporter to find ONE instance of a "streets running with blood" gloom and doom forecast being accurate. It ain't happened, Bub- but THAT ain't news.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:41 PM   #7

Pretty psyched about this. I've always been a subscriber to the belief that you should be allowed to carry anywhere as long as you are not intoxicated or otherwise unfit to handle a firearm. Does this mean I'm going to be strapped every time I go in a bar? No. Does it mean I'll be strapped every time I go out to dinner and I am the designated driver? Bet your ass.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:47 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
In Virginia you may carry in a bar, but not imbibe while carrying concealed. Originally you could, but for several years, you could NOT carry, and now, once again, you can. Has not been a problem.

Would ask a reporter to find ONE instance of a "streets running with blood" gloom and doom forecast being accurate. It ain't happened, Bub- but THAT ain't news.
and the funny part is, there is no such thing as a "bar" in Virginia!

James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
Utah Concealed Firearms Certified Instructor
SABRE Pepper Spray CSAP Instructor
12 year veteran - former law enforcement

Old 06-19-2011, 10:48 PM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

C3 is correct for VA, you can carry, but you cannot drink basically. The bars are basically told that if they know you have one, dont serve you any alcoholic drink at all.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:57 PM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1798 Times on 921 Posts
Likes Given: 971

Tennessee has the law that allows carry into bars. But amended it to give the bar owner the right to post a no carry policy on the establishment.