Gun shaped fanny packs - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Gun shaped fanny packs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2011, 12:22 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

You are wrong on both points. It is legal to carry an unloaded firearm in a zipped fanny pack with a mag fully load and removed right next to the firearm in Illinois. The only place you cannot do this is in cook county and a few townships. this is a fact and i know the law in illinois first hand It is also legal to open carry in unincorporated areas. the Illinois state police has a brochure on their website. Alway check with your local authorities first.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:01 PM   #22

ScottA: The one point I will give you is that Illinois law is untested and fickle. Law enforcement agencies in illinois are very inconsistent or unfamiliar with the application of firearm transportation. Always check with your local and state authorities before you do transport. But my point in the previous thread is still correct.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:29 PM   #23

Liked 181 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 407

For non-resident permits Illinois does not issue any type of permit/license to carry a firearm concealed.

It is also suppose to be very difficult to obtain and have access to the firearm when you are concealing; that is if you have a permit for the state of Illinois.

Illinois is a non-carry state and the right for conceal carrying is denied. Chicago and the entire state of Illinois is known for that in the United States.

Maryland is very bad here for us, too - and I am not waiting until 2017 for the next bill to be passed. My permit (Which is not restricted) will have to be renewed in November of 2012 and I do not think they will renew it.

Looks like we are heading to Virginia. - Move to a more friendlier state.. nothing can be done right now.

Last edited by Rarity; 08-26-2011 at 08:34 PM.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:11 PM   #24

If u own a firearm in Illinois u need an FOID card. With that u can transport an unloaded firearm in a case defined by statute. A zippered fanny pack is a legal container in Illinois. You just can't have it loaded. That's the law. Anyone telling u different is wrong. Simple as that.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:20 PM   #25

General statement: this is a great forum with a lot of knowledgeable shooters. But one thing that's annoying is those individuals who like to provide legal advise. Unless you are a criminal law attorney or law enforcement official in that state keep your advise to yourself. Someone will take your advise literally and get themselves in trouble. Always consult with these experts in your state or the reciprocity state before carrying a concealed firearm.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:44 AM   #26

Liked 181 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 407

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbburger
General statement: this is a great forum with a lot of knowledgeable shooters. But one thing that's annoying is those individuals who like to provide legal advise. Unless you are a criminal law attorney or law enforcement official in that state keep your advise to yourself. Someone will take your advise literally and get themselves in trouble. Always consult with these experts in your state or the reciprocity state before carrying a concealed firearm.
I am in no way an attorney, or am giving legal advice.

Although, according to gun laws; it is a felony to bear arms in the state of Illinois.

It is a Denied Right state from what I am researching.. Unless it changed recently. Maybe someone can better educate me on this one..

I think it may be considered a Denied Right state because the firearm must be in a closed case at all times?

Makes perfect sense for the fanny pack.

Last edited by Rarity; 08-27-2011 at 07:51 AM.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:35 PM   #27

Hey Zoey. My thread wasn't directed towards you and I apologize if you took it that way. There has been some recent developments in the transporting of a firearms in Illinois. ..last year or so that aren't publicized. Also Illinois is a state where it's law are consistently misinterpreted.

The issue that folks have who are not familiar with Illinois laws is transportation versus conceal carry. U are correct in saying it is illegal to carry a concealed loaded firearm. Here is the tricky part...with specifically approved containers it is legal to transport an unloaded firearm. The key here is what can I do with my ammo. Check out the Illinois State police website. There is a transportation document that outlines transportation of a firearm.
I know individuals who carry this document when transporting because many jurisdictions aren't familiar with the laws in Illinois. You can transport within an approved container unloaded with a fully loaded mag right next to it or in your pocket. The transportation of ammo is not regulated specifically as long as you have an FOID card and you are possessing or transporting a firearm legally.

Bottom line...Illinois is an unfriendly state when it comes to firearm laws but I can honestly tell you most if not close to all LEOs, many attorneys, and many politicians support concealment laws for Illinois and I'm optimistic it will pass soon. It's just a few within the Chicago political environment that are causing trouble.

Thanks for the reply...I love the discussion.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:53 PM   #28
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7791 Times on 4678 Posts
Likes Given: 9789

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbburger View Post
You are wrong on both points. It is legal to carry an unloaded firearm in a zipped fanny pack with a mag fully load and removed right next to the firearm in Illinois. The only place you cannot do this is in cook county and a few townships. this is a fact and i know the law in illinois first hand It is also legal to open carry in unincorporated areas. the Illinois state police has a brochure on their website. Alway check with your local authorities first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbburger View Post
If u own a firearm in Illinois u need an FOID card. With that u can transport an unloaded firearm in a case defined by statute. A zippered fanny pack is a legal container in Illinois. You just can't have it loaded. That's the law. Anyone telling u different is wrong. Simple as that.
Jmb, I live in Illinois. Specifically, DeKalb County. I would NOT carry my gun on my person concealed. I think it is against the law. When I go to the range my gun is in the trunk of my car in a case. If a person does not own a car with a separate trunk, then the gun must be transported in a locked case away from the driver's reach.

Please send me the link where you think the law says it's okay to carry a concealed weapon on your person with a loaded mag right next to the gun because I have not seen a law like that for Illinois.

Old 08-27-2011, 01:53 PM   #29

http://www.isp.state.il.us/media/docdetails.cfm?DocID=75

Try this to start. Also contact your local authorities for specific local ordinances.

Old 08-27-2011, 01:53 PM   #30

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Illinois Carry | Concealed Carry

Quote:
How do I take advantage of this law to increase my personal safety?

Purchase a concealed carry fanny pack and carry an unloaded gun with magazines at the ready in the compartment. You will be just “Six Seconds From Safety” as you can open the case and quickly lock and load your handgun should a use of lethal force situation arise. Not as good as a concealed carry law, but a lot better than it used to be!

For a purse, carry an unloaded gun with magazines in a container, case, or carrying box. Then place that inside your purse. Yep, you’re probably going to have to carry a large-sized purse to fit the container in it. Then again, some guns out there are small enough that the carrying case is the size of your hand, so you many not need a large purse after all.
Quote:
I thought the ammunition had to be stored separately from the handgun?

This is a common myth as is the myth that the handgun has to be in a locked container or in your trunk. The law merely specifies “cased” with no mention as to ammo (see above). Further, the Illinois courts have ruled on this point definitively. Ammunition may be in the magazine as long as the magazine is not in the hand gun. See Illinois v. McDade.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”