Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Gun shaped fanny packs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2011, 01:58 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

lol. Thanks for all your responses. I have heard offhandedly that to legally "concealed carry" in Illinois, that your carrying case can not reveal to the casual observer that you are carrying a weapon, obviously a holster flapped or not would indicate that you were carrying a weapon. a fanny pack is...well a fanny pack and they look gay. Id rather carry a holster. My question maybe is not well worded enough so let me try again.

Can I, as a resident of Illinois, carry my weapon in a holster?

I know I can carry it in a fanny pack.

Maybe the law wont allow me to carry it in a standard holster, so what about a flapped holster?

Im trying to find the latest Illinois law, because I think there are some recent revisions.

If I cant carry it in a holster, flapped or not, then Ill just use a stupid fanny pack.

United Militias of America
United we stand - Divided we fall

Old 06-09-2011, 02:00 AM   #12

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I'm sorry but has anybody, in the last 10 years, looked a dude wearing a fanny pack and DIDN'T think they were carrying??

The fanny pack's time has come, and thankfully, gone. The time capsule for 2050 should NOT include one.

Currently we are in the age of the backpack. You talk to guys like IGETEVEN or DzScubie or Robo. These are three men that I listen when they post, because they have "been there & done that".

People like them are in the field of "constant on" threat awareness, they will talk to you about "visual threat assessment". Anyone in their line of work, world of living, they will tell you the same thing.

The keys are things that people consciously, or subconsciously, do when they are out with that pistol in their possession.

Some people walk a little more stiff, more MANLY. Some people constantly tug at their overshirt or jacket when they reach for something to make sure they don't expose or print their weapon. Some can't go 5 minutes without checking the weight to make sure the weapon is where they expect it. These are tells.

As for the fanny pack idea, I just asked about it to my Valkyrie of the household and this was her response:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. JD
I would have a greater atttraction to a man carrying a Coach purse than a fanny pack. The guy in the fanny pack is clearly *edited*
Just sayin'

JD

Old 06-09-2011, 03:01 PM   #13

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by knfxda View Post
I have absolutely no experience with the product, so don't take this as an endorsement:

Cell/PDA/Pager Pal

Pager Pal
I see a probable carry holster there. The movements used to draw the concealed gun from the holster would be very minimal and discrete using the pocket push up. And hell, every body has a cell phone nowadays.

I am going to research this a bit more.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 06-09-2011, 03:46 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5121 Times on 2667 Posts
Likes Given: 310

to the OP. i want to know where you are getting your info from as everything i have found about carrying weapons in illinois is its illegal regardless of what your carrying it in. the only legal carry of firearms is to and from a shooting range and to and from a gun dealer for sale or repair. or to and from hunting during the various hunting seasons

carrying it for self defense in illinois will get you jail time.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-09-2011, 07:50 PM   #15

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
I see a probable carry holster there. The movements used to draw the concealed gun from the holster would be very minimal and discrete using the pocket push up. And hell, every body has a cell phone nowadays.

I am going to research this a bit more.

UPDATE: I found another cell holster, but I can see the cell carrier pouch double as a discrete extra magazine carrier...or a cell phone of you choosing. Fits any gun frame size and looks like IMHO, a great cargo shorts and tee-shirt holster for CC in the summer.

Cell Pal Descreet Conceled Carry Holster Deep Concealment Holster Total Concealment undercover ccw armed citizens conceled weapon permit no fanny packs deep cover covert carry

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 06-14-2011, 01:27 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 756 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnitedMilitia View Post
Im inquiring about regular holster shaped fanny packs. I posted this on our website as well, but figured itd be good to ask here too. I like the idea of Illinois concealed carry (obviously) I like open carry better,....dont think the states gonna jump right on militia being able to open carry though. So, is it even legal to have a holster shat qualifies as a fanny pack? if so, do you have any pics or insights?
If it's a fanny pack you're interested in then Midway USA has a few selections. Here is one in particular:

Soft Armor Merlin Fanny Pack Medium to Large Frame Semi Automatics Nylon Black - MidwayUSA

Old 07-04-2011, 06:56 PM   #17

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 52

A fanny pack has its place if you are riding a bike and use it to carry your water and ID, or if you are a women. But not for a man, a man carrying a fanny pack screams gun to me. But I have seen alot of older men 50+ using them but with the smaller compact size of handguns it is diffcult to figure out if they are carrying or not.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:44 AM   #18

Liked 680 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 1668

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
UPDATE: I found another cell holster, but I can see the cell carrier pouch double as a discrete extra magazine carrier...or a cell phone of you choosing. Fits any gun frame size and looks like IMHO, a great cargo shorts and tee-shirt holster for CC in the summer.

Cell Pal Descreet Conceled Carry Holster Deep Concealment Holster Total Concealment undercover ccw armed citizens conceled weapon permit no fanny packs deep cover covert carry
I got myself one of these Cell Pal holsters, and tried it out last Saturday while running errands and shopping with my Wife. After awhile, I forgot I hand it on. The S&W Airweight snubbie was well-concealed under jeans, with just a vague bulge just behind the off-front pocket. I'm going to carry it while on vacation soon. I give the design a thumbs-up.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:25 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 102 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
I'm sorry but has anybody, in the last 10 years, looked a dude wearing a fanny pack and DIDN'T think they were carrying??

The fanny pack's time has come, and thankfully, gone. The time capsule for 2050 should NOT include one.

Currently we are in the age of the backpack. You talk to guys like IGETEVEN or DzScubie or Robo. These are three men that I listen when they post, because they have "been there & done that".

People like them are in the field of "constant on" threat awareness, they will talk to you about "visual threat assessment". Anyone in their line of work, world of living, they will tell you the same thing.

The keys are things that people consciously, or subconsciously, do when they are out with that pistol in their possession.

Some people walk a little more stiff, more MANLY. Some people constantly tug at their overshirt or jacket when they reach for something to make sure they don't expose or print their weapon. Some can't go 5 minutes without checking the weight to make sure the weapon is where they expect it. These are tells.

As for the fanny pack idea, I just asked about it to my Valkyrie of the household and this was her response:

Just sayin'

JD

This made me laugh.

Though now I will look at men with fanny packs differently.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:11 PM   #20
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1992 Times on 1080 Posts
Likes Given: 716

Your question is moot because concealed or open carry is ILLEGAL in Illinois. You will be charged with a felony if caught.

DO NOT DO IT!

I have read some folks suggesting that you could carry an unloaded handgun in a case on your person and then load it if needed. That case could be construed to be a fanny pack or other type of convenient means.

This suggestion is untested in the courts and could very well get you convicted of carrying a dangerous weapon. If you want to test it, you better spend more time finding a good lawyer than asking questions about fanny packs.

I live on the border with Illinois, and I carry concealed. I cross into Illinois frequently so I have researched this. Be very careful.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA