Gun Free Rape Zones - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Gun Free Rape Zones

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2011, 01:35 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Just take today's incident in LA. Some jihadist goes on a random shooting spree through the center of Hollywood. No one could do anything about it. Eventually an armed citizen, actually an off duty LEO, put him down. Point is the black and whites were to late to intervene.
There are so many events that have shown lives could have been saved if someone armed and properly trained in firearm use would have been there. I defy anyone to show me where gun control laws have saved a single life anywhere.

I guess I should clarify what I mean by "properly trained" before I bring some heat on myself. I am referring to someone having familiarization with the firearm they are carrying through both training and use/practice. There are many good firearm courses available to people. There will always be experienced and competent individuals who are willing and able to train others. Buying a firearm is just the first step. Simply put, I am just trying to say someone should be at the point where they are familiar and comfortable with their firearm before they start packing it. They need to actually fire it and practice. They need to know they can use it safely and effectively if necessary.

Old 12-11-2011, 01:48 PM   #22
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7139 Times on 4297 Posts
Likes Given: 8668

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
JonM, you forgot to mention Chicago, IL
Don't forget the tragic NIU shootings.

Click here for details..........>NIU shootings.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:33 PM   #23

Liked 1460 Times on 884 Posts
Likes Given: 338

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwk4667 View Post
Now you are going to know how old I am.

While in high school several of us loved to go hunting together after school so we would put our shot guns behind the bus drivers seat till we got to school and then they stayed behind the home room teachers desk till time to go home. We also wore hunting vests and carried skinning knives.

I can't remember a fight in all 4 years.

Now they have banned all weapons and we keep getting students shot or stabed. I guess the liberals will protect us till we are all dead!
It was exactly the where I grew up. We took our shotguns to the principals office for safekeeping during the day. Our teachers used to ask one of us for a knife when she needed something cut. There was never a cutting or shooting in our community, and there was never any whittling on desk or other fixtures at the school.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 12-11-2011, 08:49 PM   #24

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Don't forget the tragic NIU shootings.

Click here for details..........>NIU shootings.
There was another shooting at VT College the other day too. A random guy just walked up and shot an officer who had stopped someone for a traffic violation. The guy shot himself less than hour later. The officer didn't survive.

The point is, you don't know when where or how these things are going to happen. You must be prepared to your most capable extent. I carry a 4" knife on my person at all times, even on campus. State law prohibits anyone from carrying a blade longer than 3" in public, let alone on campus. It has to be a folder too, mine is not. I'd like to switch to a pistol, but I don't think I could get away with that.

At least the pistol is legal on the streets, but definitely a problem on campus, which is where I spend most of my time.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Last edited by tCan; 12-11-2011 at 08:52 PM.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:50 PM   #25

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

heck I'm a young feller compared to some of you guys, and that's how it was at my school. I'm talking post columbine too.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:56 PM   #26

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
heck I'm a young feller compared to some of you guys, and that's how it was at my school. I'm talking post columbine too.
I think 9/11 really kicked it off. It scared a lot of people. Columbine was an "isolated indecent" as we like to tell ourselves. When the towers fell, it scared people nationwide. Special interests jumped on that one, didn't they?

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Old 12-11-2011, 09:06 PM   #27

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 21

My friends and I used to ride out to some of the local farms with shotguns across the handlebars of our bicycles to go bird hunting. We rode out to the local desert the same way to target practice or shoot some ground squirrels. Now a kid on a bicycle with a shotgun would probably be met with a SWAT team or at least a couple of black and whites. There weren't so many anti-gunners back then.

While we are on this subject I thought I would share one of my observations. More and more I have noticed more and more women buying handguns and asking about CCW training. Just about every time I go to Cabelas or Sportsmans Warehouse I see at least one woman looking at handguns, usually the 9mms, .380s or .38 spc revolvers. I think more and more women are arming themselves because they believe they don't have to be victimized just because they are female. This is a very valid belief. Another observation I have made is that every female I know who shoots is pretty good at it. They all handle their handguns pretty well.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:09 PM   #28

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

You should see my mom shoot. She can outshoot me and my stepdad with all of us using our own guns. But I can outshoot her if we both use her gun. Strange. But I haven't met the man yet who can hold a candle to her using a bow.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:14 PM   #29
AZL

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
Yep, this is true, Jon is a smart man. They have no duty to protect an individual, but the community as a whole.
Sad but true....HOWEVER....any cop worthy of the name takes his/her duty seriously, and DOES "serve and protect".

I wouldn't be able to look at myself in the mirror in the morning if I were to just stand by and let an innocent person be harmed by inaction, even at the risk of my own life. That's just me. That's pretty much every "street cop" I ever worked with very very few exceptions.

The guys and gals who tried to "coast throught their 20" were identified pretty quickly by the rest of us, and wound up on motorcycles and in traffic division writing tickets and polishing their boots...because we damned sure refused to work with them. That's not even because of some high-minded ideals on my part...you just can't trust a person like that to be there if YOU need them.

And...AMEN...for everyone taking responsibility for the safety and defense of their own homes and families. I have preached that for years. Let's face it...even if SCOTUS had said "LE MUST PROTECT THE INDIVIDUAL"...there are many times when calls are stacked up, and you have five or six "code three-lights and sirens" calls on your MDT...I have been there and seen it happen. Single officers rolling on calls with no backup because your sector partner is on his way to another code three...it's frustrating to officers too.

Think about it for a second though folks....how many times have you seen the news where cops have joined EMS to rescue people in rivers, swollen washes, fires, assaults? Many many many times. Good cops do the job, no matter what.

WE hate the bull**** calls when we get called to mediate a dispute between neighbors over a "He was rude to me" call, or "His/her dog pooped in my yard" or other nonsense that adults SHOULD be able to work out on their own.

I am not defending paper-pushing douchebag alleged-cops. Don't take it that way...just remember there are a bunch of us out there day in and day out doing the damned best we can for you.

Surprize me...hose out your mangina, quit whining and actually DO something.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:24 PM   #30

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well at lest we that live in Wis. now have the means to defend ourself against the thugs now since we now have CCW and the CASEL LAW it should make the hoods on the North side think twice before "messing" with any south siders.!