Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Gun for a female to carry??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2011, 02:13 AM   #21
WDB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It has already been well expressed, ankle carry is a poor coice. Look for something you can shoot well and carry in an inside the waistband holster. Most who cary often carry this way even with a small frame it is the best option. It will require you to wear a good belt and maybe looser shirt to cover but it is the best way to go. As for the pistol, it is a truly personal choice, find one that fits your hand well, rent several to find the right one. Then practice often. Let us know how you decide to carry and the pistol you chose.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:42 AM   #22

I didn't grow up shooting with my Dad, but I've been shooting for the last 10 years or so. I don't mean hard-core, at the range every weekend type, but I've done my fair share. I'm not a big fan of revolvers. I don't know why. I've tried to pin point it, but I just can't come up with a reason.... A rough estimate for my shooting experience would be 5000 rounds maybe? Don't quote me on that, but that's prob really close. Hope that helps!

Old 02-11-2011, 05:06 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Denise, there are a number of sub compact 9mm's out there that could work for you as well. That opens up more possibilities.

If it's not being rude, what have you set for a budget?

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-11-2011, 12:06 PM   #24

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

There are all kinds of sub compact 9mm and 380's. But for me I find a decent snubby wheel gun works best for that. Something in a 38 spl or 357 maybe? A 686 in 357 would do well. And you can use the beefy 357 or go with 38's. 642 air weight be good too but it is a 38 s o you don't get the bonus you do with a 357.

If an semi is what you are dead set on I personally prefer the 9mm
s over a 380. The round is just more snappy in the small pistols made for them and ammo is a good bit more than 9mm. THe XD9 compact is small, easy to hide and very reliable If you have the 1911 fever (and by cracky you should! ) then an Officers model would do well in that fashion too. I carried a Colt MKIV officers model that way for a while.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-11-2011, 12:16 PM   #25
Jay

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseEMTB View Post
I didn't grow up shooting with my Dad, but I've been shooting for the last 10 years or so. I don't mean hard-core, at the range every weekend type, but I've done my fair share. I'm not a big fan of revolvers. I don't know why. I've tried to pin point it, but I just can't come up with a reason.... A rough estimate for my shooting experience would be 5000 rounds maybe? Don't quote me on that, but that's prob really close. Hope that helps!
Suggestion.... ask the guys in the shop if they will not try to sell you a gun, rather answer your questions, and let you buy one.

Ask them if thy have any female customers, and give them your contact info, to give to the lady/ladies. Ask them if there's an instructor close. Most instructors have a variety of handguns for folks to try out. You may not find the gun for you that way, but you'd get a bit of hands on for future reference. Everyone has their favorite guns, but nobody else has to use your hands to hold the guns in.

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 02-11-2011, 07:02 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 20

You might also want to look at the Sig Sauer P-238 (380). Good size, shoots great, very dependable. My wife has one and loves it.

Welcome to the Forum.

Pops

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But the U.S. ARMED FORCES don't have that problem."
Ronald Wilson Reagan, 1911-2004, 40th President of the United States of America

Old 02-12-2011, 01:12 AM   #27

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Not a big fan of revolvers? Heresy! Blasphemer!!! Errr. Anyway, I think you did the right thing getting second opinions. Usually people who don't like shooting revolvers have a problem with the trigger pull. Some don't like the time it takes to reload them or the capacity but the biggest killer seems to be the triggers. Unfortunately there are few "inbetween good and bad" triggers out of the box. If you're stuck on Ankle carrying, then you'd be hard pressed to do so with anything but what most people cosider a BUG (back up gun). Most BUG guns tend to be super light and lower capacity due to their small size. .380 market is exploding right now so there are no shortages of options currently. It's easier to find a .380 pistol than it is to find .380 ammo, although it's out there. You just usually gotta shop a lot closer to the dedicated gun stores than Walmart to be able to find it. I recommend Gold Dot Hollow Points for carry. Actually, I recommend a larger round (like starting at 147gr +P+ 9mm and up) for self defense. But not for any rig small enough for ankle carry... You can make .380 count with head shots though. I would also never recommend a single action only trigger for a beginner. 1911's are not beginner carry peices. Do understand that this would necessitate that you carry a gun loaded, with the hammer back (the safety on)and ready to fire 24/7. This was the same dumb move I did when I got my first concealed carry piece. I ran out and bought the latest and greatest Officers model 1911 that Kimber offered and then I was scared as hell that I was going to have a negligent discharge carrying it. I have no problems carrying a full size 1911 in this condition these days but it took a lot of practice to get to where I was safe and comfortable doing so. I ended up buying a revolver after the 1911 fiasco. Don't get me wrong. I don't like anyone bad-mouthing my 1911's! I just don't believe that they are right for beginners. PS, leave my revolvers alone too. At some point revolver recoil becomes very satisfying at the range. I love the feel of the compression wave against my chest when I'm firing off .44mag. It's just punishing to the hands after awhile. LOL

Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a few seconds. Light him on FIRE and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Old 02-12-2011, 02:52 AM   #28

Well, I thought that I had found the gun that "feels right" for me, however, now that I have it home, I'm not so sure. (I NEVER dreamed this would be such a task)! I'm almost to the point of just saying forget it, I'm not even going to try this anymore. I ended up buying a Kel Tec P11 (9mm). I really like the size of it and I like the reviews I've read. HOWEVER, when I get it home and start "playing" with it, I realized it doesn't have a safety! ERRRR You would think the idiots at the guns shop would have said something like "you realize it doesn't have a safety don't you"? I'm gonna end up blow a hole in something of mine. (still haven't figured out where I'm carrying it)... I just don't know what to do. I mean is there a way to SAFELY carry something that is ready to shoot, without killing yourself???
Other than that, I really do like the way it felt in my hand. I was dead set when I went, that I was going to get the Bodyguard. But, after really thinking about the fact that I was pretty much cutting my power in half by going from a 9 to a 380, I chose to stay away from the 380. If they would make the Bodyguard in a 9, I'm buy 10 of them!
As far as the carry problem, I haven't gotten anywhere with it either. I've read all the sites you guys have suggested and watched all the videos as well. There are pros and cons to all of them, and I just don't know which way to go. There aren't many gun shops in my area for me to just be able to walk in and try on several diffferent holsters and see which I like best. 2 out of the 4 shops we have, don't sale holsters period. I know that I can buy them online, but I'm afraid I'm gonna be buying and returning for the next year.
I don't really no how to describe my size, which I know plays a major part in where to carry. I'm not a skinny, sick-looking person, but I am by no means a 350 pound person either. I've walked around with my sons toy gun stuck in the inside of my jeans just to see how it feels. (I know, it looked really stupid I'm sure ) I felt like it was sticking in my side, belly, where ever I put it, all the time! Not to mention the fact that you could really see it. I know that once I have to proper fitted holster, that will help some of the problem, but it was REALLY visible!
I've seen alot of sites that talk about dressing around your gun, or a gun for all seasons. Well, I can't afford a gun for all seasons, and to be honest, I really don't want to try and dress around one either. I guess I'm just not that dedicated to it. I just want to be me, wear what I usually wear, AND carry, but I'm thinking there isn't such a thing...
Sorry to be so negative, I'm just really discouraged...

As for the comment I made about not being a fan of revolvers, please don't think I was knocking them. I just don't like the reloading part of it. The trigger never has been a problem for me, I just really don't like the reload part of it. I know there are quick load items I can buy, but I guess I'm just used to being about to pop out one clip and throw in another..

Old 02-12-2011, 03:33 AM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

If you have a good holster, your new pistol plenty safe to carry. I carry a Glock every day (no safety). I look at the holster (and my brain) as my safety device. The holster is built to fit my gun, covers the trigger guard, and the gun doesn't move around in the holster. The only way the gun comes out of the holster is if I decide to draw it. I know that some people have their preferences, and if you are sure you want an external safety, I'm not going to try to talk you out of it. But the gun doesn't need one if it's carried properly. My personal feeling is that a safety is just one more thing I have to remember to manipulate before I can get down to shooting. I just want to pull the gun and pull the trigger. But that's me. And I practice drawing with an empty gun (no ammo in the room), making sure that while I draw and aim, my trigger finger is alongside the frame of the gun until I'm on target and ready to shoot.

I believe you'll also find that many of us have "holster drawers." A holster drawer is a repository for the holsters that either didn't work out or that suited a purpose for a time but no longer fit our lifestyle. So if it takes you two or three holsters to find the right one, you might not be happy about the money you spent, but you won't be alone. My wife had three holsters for her first carry gun. She had a small-of-the-back (SOB) holster. Then she got a shoulder holster for winter wear under a jacket. And while she was pregnant, she used an ankle holster. I know that last one seems counterintuitive, but she said that her new and ever-changing curvature, along with maternity pants, made carrying along the waistline impossible. She knew it would be difficult to get to an ankle holster, but she sat down a lot more than when she wasn't pregnant, and she figured a gun on her somewhere was better than a gun left at home. She has two holsters for her current carry gun (Walther PPK/S), and she uses them both, depending on circumstances.

The upshot of all this meandering is that if the Kel-Tec feels good, you might want to give it a chance. If you want to give it a chance,take it to the range. If you like how it shoots, shop for a couple of holsters. Some of the holsters for small guns are very reasonably priced. I got a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster for my wife's PPK/S for around $20. If she doesn't carry on her person, she carries it in her purse inside that pocket holster (better a gun in the purse than a gun left at home).

Now relax and take a deep breath.

I hope you enjoy your new gun.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 02-12-2011, 03:36 AM   #30

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseEMTB View Post
You would think the idiots at the guns shop would have said something like "you realize it doesn't have a safety don't you"? I'm gonna end up blow a hole in something of mine.
Nah, they probably didn't think anytrhing of it. Being that is a DAO (double action only), you have one in the chamber but the striker (firiing pin) is not charged (hammer back) until after the first part of your trigger pull. Carrying a striker fired firearm is a lot like carrying a revolver. Of course there is a quick detachable magazine instead of a cylinder but the actions are similar (and safe). In fact, when Glock came out with the action that ALL these pistols emulate, they coined the term "Safe Action Pistols" for this reason. You don't have to use a safety unless the hammer is cocked, so they don't put safeties on revolvers either. Essentually, the trigger IS the safety. The trigger is pretty stiff on that pistol so you'll get the hang of it and eventually trust it. Practice dry firing it and drawing it and you won't have to worry about negligent discharges. It's not possible to drop that particular gun and have it go off or anything. I personally would have stayed away from the Kel-tec as a choice but that's just me. I haven't had much luck with them. My neighbor had one that I was constantly fixxing becuase he was not cleaning and lubing the gun. He tried to sell it to me one day... The good news is that its an inherently safe peice. Enjoy

Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a few seconds. Light him on FIRE and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!