Gun for a female to carry?? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Gun for a female to carry??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2011, 04:09 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Denise,

Welcome to the forum.

First, I'd like to point out a website called The Cornered Cat. It's authored by a woman and deals with firearms (and some other things) from a woman's perspective. There are several articles there devoted to holsters.

Here's a question for you that everyone — man or woman — has to answer when it comes to concealed carry. Are you going to choose the gun and then "dress around it" or are you going to choose a gun that fits in with the way you dress? And as a followup, if you have the budget, will you have more than one carry gun?

Personally, I chose the gun first. I didn't like carrying inside the waistband (IWB) so I started wearing untucked, button-down shirts to cover my OWB holster and gun. Now, I'm a big, middle-aged guy, I live in Florida, and I work in a place that allows for casual dress. So these things all work for me.

I only point this out to illustrate the process of finding the solution that takes into account not just the gun, but your own prioritied, build and circumstances.

I asked the followup question above because many people want to carry different guns based on varying circumstances. Some people have a "cold weather gun" and a "hot weather gun" based on conditions where they live. Others have a gun that's full size or compact for most days, but a subcompact or pocket gun for days when they'll dress in such a way that a full-size gun won't work.

Some who choose two guns get two versions of the same basic gun. For example, a Glock 19 and a Glock 26. Same caliber, similar fit in hand, same controls, etc. The larger gun is also more fun for long range sessions.

Hopefully some more ladies will be along to share personal experience with carrying that we men just don't have.

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 02-10-2011, 04:38 PM   #12
Jay

Liked 19 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Welcome to the forum....

As evidenced by the gun you now have,
Quote:
I have a Hi-Point that I have never fired. It's brand new and after all the reviews I've read, AND the fact that I just don't like the looks or feel of it, I'm looking for something else
You've hit on the key.... if it's not comfortable in your hands, you won't shoot it enough to become proficient with it. Go to gun stores, and gun shows, and handle all the guns you can. Focus on the ones that feel "right" in your hands. You can slip your foot into a shoe, and tell in seconds if it "feels right". Most of the time you can do the same thing with handguns, just by picking them up. You don't wear shoes that are uncomfortable, and you won't become proficient with handguns that are uncomfortable, either.

Just my two cents.....

Some of my toys

Old 02-10-2011, 05:17 PM   #13
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2794 Times on 1528 Posts
Likes Given: 797

My wife has a Ruger SR9c and is very happy with it. The Kel-Tec PF9 is compact and light. Light = recoil. The new Ruger LC9 is a possibility as well as the Kahr pistols. Small hands need smaller grips. There are a lot of good choices out there now as the CCW market has caused a change in design trends. There are some nice 380s out there too.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:40 AM   #14

Thank you guys so very much! I really didn't think I would get many replies. But you have shown me that this IS the website that I need to spend more time on reading about all the different things that will concern me. There have been things that you have mentioned that never even crossed my mind, but because you all are experienced in this, it has really helped me!
I loved the video that a couple of you posted with the woman talking about different ways to carry! That was great!!
I've also looked at several of the links as well.
I found a gun that I'm not familiar with, but I know that the name behind it is a good brand. It's a "Bodyguard 380". Do you have any experience with it? I'd like to hear your opinions on it. I know this really isn't the place to probably as this question, but since you guys know my situation, I thought maybe it would be better here....
Again, thank you so much for the kindness and concern that you've given me!

Old 02-11-2011, 12:41 AM   #15

I forgot to add that the Bodyguard is made by S&W, but I'm sure you knew that already.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:45 AM   #16
Jay

Liked 19 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I"m not familiar with that particular model, but S&W is a fine name brand. There are some who will tell you that .380 is a bit small for personal defense, but I would offer that shot placement is much more important than caliber. Even if you carried a cannon, it wouldn't do any good if you couldn't hit your target.

Shop a bit... shopping is good.

Some of my toys

Old 02-11-2011, 01:02 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

The Bodyguard .380 is a relatively new pistol. I suggest you find some reviews and study about it a bit. They have gotten mixed reviews.

There are other proven .380's out there that are worth consideration as well.

Here's a link to a review from Gunblast: Smith & Wesson’s New Lightweight, Compact Bodyguard 380 Semi-Auto Pistol
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-11-2011, 01:26 AM   #18
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 472 Times on 260 Posts
Likes Given: 3

My wife carrys the LCP and switches it up with the LCR. She just got a Sig Sauer P250, she is really enjoying that.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:36 AM   #19
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Ankle carry, and packs enough to punch....... Take a look at the Ruger LCP.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:05 AM   #20

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3485 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Denise - Welcome to the FTF Community. As you can see, we have a good group of folks here that love to talk small arms and are willing to share.

My first question for any shooter, but especially a female, is how much shooting have you done in your life? How much pistol time have you got under your belt?

This is important because it will lend itself to how much in the way of "mechanics" we can recommend in a pistol.

By way of example: If you grew up shooting with your dad and brothers/sisters and have been shooting for decades, perhaps a semi auto, even with a manual safety would be a possibility.

If you have very limited skill with a firearm: A revolver, preferably hammerless so all you have to do is pull and squeeze might be more your speed.

Help us help you.