Gun for a female to carry?? - Page 10
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Gun for a female to carry??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2011, 05:04 PM   #91
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

My fashion is kinda funny. I'm a medic by trade but in nursing school. I'm kinda a Tomboy but I can also dress girlish too. My prob is, I'm not a big belt fan. I'm not sure if it's because I have to wear one at work or what. Plus, I have a hard time finding an actual good belt that doesn't cost a fortune. Most ladies belts you get are cheap and are more for looks than the actual purpose. I carry IWB and do it without a belt. It has a clip that I hook on my pants and it has released the gun without the holster almost every time. If I'm wearing something that isn't holster friendly then I put it in my purse which I don't like doing. IMO, alot of women have there purses ripped from them and I wouldnt want them to have my gun as well. I carry a Taurus pt111 in a 9mm. It's very heavy for my purse as well. But on my budget that's what I've got for now. I'm looking at getting a smaller one, but reading reviews makes my head spin!!! Everyone has something negative to say about every gun every made lol.
I had a guy try to sell me a little 22. Now I know they can kill, I've seen it firsthand but I'd like something a little more powerful. Not a big fan of a revolver because of the small capacity. I know, if I can't hit them with 5 or whatever it holds then I'm just a bad shot, but I like the ease of dropping an empty clip and slamming another in regardless if I'm shaking or not. Been through some drills with a very intimidating army colonel and believe me he made me shake!!! But that's what I wanted lol. So I'm back to the what do I get thing. I understand the smaller it is the more "hand slapping" it will do, but it's not something I'm going to sport shoot with. So...

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

Old 08-10-2011, 05:43 PM   #92

As to your other question: when I first bought my gun and holster, I wanted to carry in the small of my back. Not doing that now. I'm left handed so the holster I needed to carry back there, is now used on my right side. (because the clip doesnt change sides so it's for right-handed people). I've learned to pull with my right hand and can do so with much speed and accuracy. However I will be getting a holster that is for left-handed people. I'm pretty ambidextrous. I write with my left but do most other things with my right. However I still shoot left-handed. Or so I've been told. Still not sure how one tells that since I hold with both hands. I do have one concern. I shoot crappy shells at the range when I practice. I'm not sure even how to ask what I'm asking so be patient. Do you compensate for crappy shells when you shoot? Meaning if I can hit the bullseye with crappy shells am I going to need to adjust for real shells? Meaning like will my shoot be up more with better shells?? You prob have no clue what I'm trying to say lol. Thanks for the advice. Love this group!!!

Old 08-10-2011, 06:15 PM   #93

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseEMTB View Post
Everyone has something negative to say about every gun every made lol.
ALL guns are compromises. Ask anyone what they'd want in a gunfight and I doubt anyone would select a handgun. It really is the firearm of last resort. Revolvers are a compromise, semi-autos are a compromise, any caliber selection is a compromise. And so on and so on. Every decision made regarding your gun is a compromise. So, the trick is determining what compromises you're willing to make and know that they may change over time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseEMTB View Post
However I still shoot left-handed. Or so I've been told. Still not sure how one tells that since I hold with both hands.
Which hand is your trigger finger on. That is the hand you shoot with. And please don't tell me that you have one finger from each hand on the trigger. And if you do, it's the bottom finger, the one that is making contact with the trigger.

Quote:
I do have one concern. I shoot crappy shells at the range when I practice. I'm not sure even how to ask what I'm asking so be patient. Do you compensate for crappy shells when you shoot? Meaning if I can hit the bullseye with crappy shells am I going to need to adjust for real shells? Meaning like will my shoot be up more with better shells?? You prob have no clue what I'm trying to say lol. Thanks for the advice. Love this group!!!
If you're shooting fine with crappy ammunition, then you'll be fine with self-defense ammo. The amount of variability in the accurracy of the ammo is small when compared to the accurracy of the gun and miniscule when compared to the accurracy of the shooter.

What does matter is that some guns like some ammo and don't like others. You need to run your carry/SD ammo through your gun at least occassionally to ensure that it feeds, fires, and ejects properly. Most guns will handle most ammo, but sometimes a particular ammo won't do well in a particular gun.

"Ideology deludes, inspires dishonesty, and breeds fanaticism. Facts, experience, and logic are much better at leading you to the truth."

"Despite the conviction and seeming depth of knowledge with which ideologues speak, they are intellectual weaklings--joiners--who defer to systems of belief and charismatic gurus for their ideas." -- Daniel J. Flynn

GOA

Old 08-10-2011, 10:23 PM   #94

Lol my ONE finger that is on the trigger is on my left hand.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:25 PM   #95

What ammo do you recommend for SD?