Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Gun for a female to carry??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2011, 10:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Gun for a female to carry??

Hi everyone!

I'm new here, so I don't know much about the way the forums run. I may not even be posting this is in the correct place.
Anyway, my question is this: I'm looking for a semi-auto that I can ankle carry. I don't want a little 50 cent piece type that the guys at the gun store here are trying to sell me. I've fired several guns in my life! They have this idea in their minds that I'm a female so I'm supposed to always carry a purse and always walk around in heels. That's just not the case for me. Nothing against ladies who are like that, it's just not for me. I love to hang out with the guys and go shooting, or hunting, fishing, whatever.

My point is this. I want something that I can use for more than just PP. I'd like something that I can conceal AND take to the range when I want. I really like 9mm vs a 45. (My opinion only). Is there any certain brand or size that you think I should carry? Not looking to drop a grand on one either.

I have a Hi-Point that I have never fired. It's brand new and after all the reviews I've read, AND the fact that I just don't like the looks or feel of it, I'm looking for something else. I'm just hoping that I can return it where I bought it less than a month ago..
Sorry for such a long post! Thanks for all your help.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-09-2011, 10:41 PM   #2

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Welcome to you. Ankle carry? This carry method really limits your choices and is one of the most difficult carry modes from which to deploy a gun quickly and smoothly. Sadly you've already discovered that little concealable guns aren't fun range guns and fun range guns aren't really easy to conceal in may cases.

A decent compromise is something like a Kahr CW9 - very concealable, not bad to shoot and reasonably priced...

Old 02-09-2011, 11:03 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Check Ruger LC9 and Walther PPS...they are slim but probably not ideal for ankle carry.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:04 PM   #4

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Welcome to the FTF, Denise!

I agree with NGIB, the Kahr CW9 is a nicely concealable pistol. Women who carry a purse though have an advantage in that they can carry a cannon without it being detectable.

Secure Purse Home - Concealed Carry Purses

Concealment Purses - Magills.com

Galco holsters; Holsters; Gun holster, pistol holsters, western holsters, shoulder holsters, leather holster and Glock holsters

People get the government they deserve.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:34 PM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2650 Times on 1545 Posts
Likes Given: 1175

Welcome to the FTF. We have an "Introductions" area where you can tell us a little about yourself.

With today's ammo, one can get by with a .380 ACP on up to larger calibers. Find the one you are comfortable with (not just how it feels in your hand, but concealed also).

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 02-09-2011, 11:52 PM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have had a few female friends say that they would like to carry a gun for self-defense and ask about carry methods. I always try to be helpful but I'm a guy (a wide one ) and therefore I don't have the same issues trying to conceal a weapon that a woman does. So, I just wanted to post a link to a video my GF found. The woman in the video is quite knowledgable on concealed carry issues that women face that us guys are clueless about:

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Old 02-09-2011, 11:55 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

The problem with ankle carry as has already been stated, is that it's uncomfortable and really requires a pretty small handgun.
You may want to reconsider and think about pocket carry as that will give you more handgun options. Although they'd still have to be fairly small.

Welcome here. There's an Introduction forum, when you get the chance, please introduce yourself to the folks. There are already some women here and it's great to have another woman join our community.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-10-2011, 03:30 AM   #8

Well, maybe I'm just not thinking of all my options as far as "location". I just thought that it would be easier to have it on my ankle, but I'm getting the idea that this isn't my best idea... The only thing I'm afraid of with the pocket carry is one, it has to be small enough to fit in a pocket, and two, I really don't want people to look and "wonder" what's in my pocket. Does that even make sense? (I'm sorry, I know what I want to say but sometimes it doesn't come out right, lol)
I just can't come up with anything. When I do carry a purse, it is large enough to carry a cannon in as one person stated.

Thanks so much for all the replies! Feel free to keep it up, hopefully I will figure something out pretty soon. Being in the gun stores was like being in a purse store. I couldn't believe all the different sizes and styles! I was in there for 2 hours and still don't know what I want. (I know, typical woman).

Old 02-10-2011, 03:45 AM   #9

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You can carry in the pocket of a jacket, inside the waist band, there are all kinds of holdters and carry options.

I know I've given you this link before Galco holsters; Holsters; Gun holster, pistol holsters, western holsters, shoulder holsters, leather holster and Glock holsters, or one close to it from Galco.

There are also these to look at, Crossbreed Holsters > Home, Selecting a Concealment Holster and

People get the government they deserve.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:08 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Denise, there are pocket holsters that break up the outline of the pistol. It can look more like a wallet or notebook than a handgun. Of course, they are for a fairly small handgun.

This is a very good article on pocket holsters and also shows they type I'm talking about: Pocket Holsters - A Helpful Guide

Here's some links:

The Cowboy and Shooters Supply : Triple K - Urban Defender Holster

DeSantis Super Fly Pocket Holster Ambidextrous Smith & Wesson Bodyguard 380 Nylon Black - MidwayUSA

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams