The gun boom - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > The gun boom

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2009, 04:22 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Already happening in Kalifornia. You need to pass a written exam (23 or better out of 30 is a passing score) to get a handgun safety certificate before you can legally purchase a handgun. Absolutely asinine test with questions like
"How many alcoholic drinks is it safe to consume before handling a firearm?"
A. 1 or fewer
B. 5 or fewer
C. 10 or fewer
D. None

The questions get stupider from there. I don't know what is more disturbing, the fact that I had to take this stupid test to get this permit, or the fact that the guy who took it before me failed

Greg

“The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.”

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupid"

Old 10-09-2009, 04:30 PM   #12

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
There should be tougher regulations. I mean we have to take a test to drive a car, but anyone can own a gun? When I first bought my pistol. I was responsible, read the owners manual cover-to-cover, took it to the range and made sure I knew how to handle it before a week had passed. And I still feel I should take some classes or something. The people should be armed, but they should also be educated. Though since it is the public at large we're talking about here...just not going to happen. For many firearms owners the majority of their "training" comes from Hollywood.
Well said, both you and NGIB. No one feels more strongly than me about my second amendment rights, but I DO think that the gun show loophole should be closed for sure.

Old 10-09-2009, 04:56 PM   #13

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
Well said, both you and NGIB. No one feels more strongly than me about my second amendment rights, but I DO think that the gun show loophole should be closed for sure.
There is NO gun show loophole. If you buy a gun from a vendor at a gun show, you go through the exact same steps at buying at a store.

Now, as far as private person to person sales go, they are already covered by the laws of the state you're in...

Old 10-09-2009, 05:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
There is NO gun show loophole. If you buy a gun from a vendor at a gun show, you go through the exact same steps at buying at a store.

Now, as far as private person to person sales go, they are already covered by the laws of the state you're in...
I know that. I was talking about buying guns at a gun show from a non-dealer.

Old 10-09-2009, 05:35 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
I know that. I was talking about buying guns at a gun show from a non-dealer.
...and yes, they are covered by state laws, but not very much enforced, at least not in my state.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:18 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post

Yup, i was a bit confused when i bought an SKS at a gunshow early this year; my buddy picked up a new WASR10 at the same show. He had to fill out paperwork; i just handed dude cash for the rifle & played with the bayonet while the private seller made a copy of my DL for his records. I'm A-OK with that process. Had it been an issue, i would have passed the background check; i had been checked for a pistol purchase maybe a month before.

Other than limiting who can have full-auto firearms & artillery, i don't see much sense in letting the federalis regulate my right to KBA. Their regulations won't matter anyway; a 18 year old i know bought a pistol a week before i did, much cheaper & no paperwork, just not legally.

Pot has been illegal my whole life; i think i've been involuntarily without it maybe a few days in the last twenty years or so, pretty ineffective federali regulation, IMO.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.