The gun boom
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > The gun boom

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2009, 07:01 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Default The gun boom

For about the past 18 months gun sales have been booming and folks that never even thought about them now own them. I'm as staunch a supporter of the 2A as anyone, but does anyone feel that this rapid rise in armed citizens is a double edged sword?

While I'm against mandating a training requirement to get a carry permit (none in GA right now), I can't help but be nervous that we have lots of armed newbies out there with no practical experience or training.

Just read an article where a fella shot his neighbor over a leaf dispute:

Man shoots neighbor over leaves in Randolph

It won't take many of these silly escapades by lawfully armed citizens (I'm assuming he was legal to carry) to provide the anti's with the ammo they need to ramp up the assault on our rights. Just thinking out loud here and I'm interested in a civilized debate...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-07-2009, 07:12 PM   #2

There should be tougher regulations. I mean we have to take a test to drive a car, but anyone can own a gun? When I first bought my pistol. I was responsible, read the owners manual cover-to-cover, took it to the range and made sure I knew how to handle it before a week had passed. And I still feel I should take some classes or something. The people should be armed, but they should also be educated. Though since it is the public at large we're talking about here...just not going to happen. For many firearms owners the majority of their "training" comes from Hollywood.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:23 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8690 Times on 3763 Posts
Likes Given: 1336

Well, there have been idiots in the past, so safe to assume there will be idiots in the future- some with guns, and some that dry their dog in the microwave. As Ron White said- "You can't fix stupid."

As far as the liberal left seizing on events like this- they will. Or they will simply make up whatever factoids they want to support their previously selected point of view. Case in point- their numbers on "Firearm Deaths of Children" actually exceeded the total number of deaths of ALL children for ALL causes. How did they do that? Well, start by considering a "child'"as anyone 25 yrs of age and younger. Include in your stats ANY death that may have involved a firearm- including little Bobby Schmuck, who, at the age of 21, attempts to rob a merchant using a knife, but picked a merchant with a 12 g. Or little Suzy Rottencrotch, who attempts to run over the police officer arresting her on a drug charge, and gets capped by Officer Friendly-

When someone brings up a case like the leaf-shooting neighbor, I would point out that the crime rate among LAW ABIDING gun owners is a fraction of a percentage point of all crimes committed. BTW, where is the "River of blood on the streets" that was forecast with GREAT certainty a few years back?

Problem with the "mandatory training" ? Can assure you that I can produce a regimen of training that will cost each person at least $5 grand, and that a member of the FBI Hostage Rescue Team would have trouble passing. Am I in favor of training? Oh HELL yes- have been conducting training as a volunteer for over 30 years- and been working my way thru grandkids for past several years. Mandatory? No.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 10-07-2009, 07:41 PM   #4

I'm with you on no mandatory training 100% C3, the gubmint will corrupt anything it touches. One of the reasons I try to be patient with all the newbie questions here is they have to learn somewhere. It's just unsettling to me that we now have so many new armed folks. I see it all the time at my local range, folks that have absolutely no notion of gun safety are now gun owners. It's a quandry with no simple answer to be sure...

Old 10-07-2009, 11:19 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8690 Times on 3763 Posts
Likes Given: 1336

The Shooters Association I belong to is members and their guests only, so we do not get a lot of unaccompanied brand new shooters. We do sponsor a couple of classes for newbies- and also run a Project Appleseed for rifle shooters. I do think that it would be a very good thing for ranges to run some basic courses (including a course of fire) for newbies- we have a tendency to run newbies off. Bad juju- if they bought a gun, they probably are leaning towards voting like I do. Strength in numbers.

Have had 2 older shooters in 2 weeks that just bought their first AR, and I actually had 2 impromptu sessions with them in field stripping, functioning, and sight zero.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 10-07-2009, 11:36 PM   #6

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I just posted this in one of ineff's threads and find it appropriate here!

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. Frank Zappa

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 10-07-2009, 11:47 PM   #7

Very apt, fellow old codger Cane. While I hate regulation I also dislike idiots with guns - stupid and guns just don't mix. Not sure we can do anything other than to try to help train the neophytes the best we can and keep everyone focused on the 4 rules.

Perhaps we can make all prospective gun owners submit a resume to Ineff...

Old 10-08-2009, 02:48 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Education not regulation. I've had that feeling too though, "oh crap, that guy is buying a gun."

Old 10-08-2009, 11:47 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'm against government regulation of firearms completely. They have no business telling who or who can't own a weapon. I personally believe a number of these shootings come from not only idiots but from people who have never had to learn personal responsibility. I would be willing to bet that a number of the people responsible for these "stupid" shootings has never had be to responsible for their actions. Having never had to feel consequences they think they're will never be any. While this is not true all the time, it could apply here.

I also am concerned with people buying guns and having never had anyone show them how to use it. It's a tool, just like a chain saw or a band saw and how fast can you lose a hand or finger to one of those if never shown how to properly opperate one?

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 10-09-2009, 02:59 AM   #10

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

As I sit here flipping through 20 years of Navy performance evaluations and fitness reports, I feel compelled to stand up and raise my voice in objection to these murmurs about preventing the "mentally deficient" from owning firearms. In fact, in 1997, I would have been in support of "A useless sack of sh*t unfit to lead lemmings over a cliff." being able to enjoy every aspect of our Constitution. Or anyone "Unable to pour piss out of a boot if the instructions were printed on the heel." (1999)
"...shall not be infringed". (1791)