Gun Board=CPL - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Gun Board=CPL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 01:15 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1024 Times on 619 Posts
Likes Given: 225

Quote:
Originally Posted by capto56 View Post
I also had an mip 8 years ago. Along with a possession of marijuana. Long story. That's the only thing I'm concerned with. But what's the worst that can happen?
Minor... shouldn't be a problem. You may want to check with the lawyers on mi gun owners site.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:34 AM   #12

Liked 92 Times on 66 Posts

Sounds like a good idea. I am going to ask the leo or attorney in class also.

And thanks for the questions link, good information there

Old 01-31-2013, 02:59 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Sounds like a good idea. I am going to ask the leo or attorney in class also.

And thanks for the questions link, good information there
{sigh}
Never ask an LEO for legal advice.

If an attorney is teaching the legal portion, maybe. I don't think many classes hire an attorney, they are too expensive and nobody wants to pay the extra money.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:44 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux

{sigh}
Never ask an LEO for legal advice.

If an attorney is teaching the legal portion, maybe. I don't think many classes hire an attorney, they are too expensive and nobody wants to pay the extra money.
Why do you say no to an Leo? Don't know anything about them, that's why I ask

Old 01-31-2013, 07:20 AM   #15

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by capto56

Ask 5 cops a question, you'll get 6 different answers. ( ex: proper way to store a weapon in a vehicle in Florida )

Old 01-31-2013, 08:21 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by undumb

Ask 5 cops a question, you'll get 6 different answers. ( ex: proper way to store a weapon in a vehicle in Florida )
True true. Had my pocket knife propping a door at school and two cops walked up. One reached down and grabbed it and flipped it open and asked how long the blade was.

I said I wasn't sure and he did the old "blade the width of the palm" measurement. The other officer said "I think it's supposed to be 3"s". The one holding my knife said "no, I think it's 4"s."

They just handed the knife back and walked away without another word. I know myself that it varies between each individual city.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:16 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
LEO's have a bad habit of "thinking" they know the law. MI firearm laws are screwy, and as I said before, even my own personal lawyer (local city prosecutor) was teaching something incorrect and I corrected him. If the city prosecutor can't get it right, how the heck would a LEO?

I have several questions I ask CPL instructors, and have posted a few here before
  1. Can I legally OC in a school with my CPL? yes
  2. Can I legally OC in a bar with my CPL? yes
  3. If the establishment sales are 45% alcohol, can I conceal carry? this is not a simple answer and will really test their understanding of the law. The law specifically says, majority of sales. I have never met a CPL instructor that doesn't say 51%... but they are forgetting restaurants like Hooters that also sell clothing.

Just for grins, ask how many firearms you can carry conceal, and if you have a CC can you open carry. The legal answers according to 2A attorney's I've talked to are unlimited, and yes. BUT, even an LEO neighbor stated that you're only allowed one firearm, and once you get the CC, no more OC.

Download and study state police update #86.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux

LEO's have a bad habit of "thinking" they know the law. MI firearm laws are screwy, and as I said before, even my own personal lawyer (local city prosecutor) was teaching something incorrect and I corrected him. If the city prosecutor can't get it right, how the heck would a LEO?

I have several questions I ask CPL instructors, and have posted a few here before

[*]Can I legally OC in a school with my CPL? yes[*]Can I legally OC in a bar with my CPL? yes[*]If the establishment sales are 45% alcohol, can I conceal carry? this is not a simple answer and will really test their understanding of the law. The law specifically says, majority of sales. I have never met a CPL instructor that doesn't say 51%... but they are forgetting restaurants like Hooters that also sell clothing.

Just for grins, ask how many firearms you can carry conceal, and if you have a CC can you open carry. The legal answers according to 2A attorney's I've talked to are unlimited, and yes. BUT, even an LEO neighbor stated that you're only allowed one firearm, and once you get the CC, no more OC.

Download and study state police update #86.
That's interesting. My dad told me the same thing about not being able to oc after getting your cpl. I'll ask them those questions also, I have already made up a list of questions I have.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:24 PM   #19

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Picked up CPL this morning!! My appointment was at 1:15 pm and my wife's was at 11:15 am. Now for everyone that does not like the board I must say what a great group and they were so awesome to me and here's why, my wife was done and they gave her her's and the the guy says do you have an appointment sir? I replied yes I do but not until 1:15 and he got the odd look, so I told him well that is my wife and I drove her here. He said well how about you come on up here now? I was so excited because 1) I didn't have to go back there and 2) I didn't have to go back out in the cold lol.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:33 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by markie357 View Post
Picked up CPL this morning!! .
Congrats... now I wish they would get rid of that silly requirement. Even wayne county and their stupidity doesn't make you personally appear.