Which gun is better for the night stand? - Page 9
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Which gun is better for the night stand?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2013, 08:29 AM   #81
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
eatmydust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: pennsylvania
Posts: 3,732
Liked 2947 Times on 1711 Posts
Likes Given: 1770

Default

I'm def. with axxe on this one, you don't need another gun, you need a U-Haul!

__________________
We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

We are all biodegradable.

Ruger, don't leave home without it.
eatmydust is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:09 AM   #82
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,776
Liked 1176 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 502

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
you really have taken paranoid to a new level! if i felt with all the deterrents you have in place and still felt the need to wear bulletproof vest 24/7 and sleep with a gun on me while asleep, i would be looking at making an address change!
Axxe,


I wear a gun and a vest because I want to, it is legal to do so, and it really doesn't bother me. If you feel comfortable wearing your sandals and a smile in your own home, more power to you. The only reason I carry a gun, wear a vest, practice, and train is to survive a gunfight long enough for my family to escape or the police to arrive. That is all.

Firearms are useless if they're not on your person, which is why I keep one on my person whenever it is legal for me to do so. For those times when having a firearm is not possible due to legal conundrums best left to lawyers, such as picking your daughter up from school, I wear a vest. I think it's stupid, but it's the law.

The home we live in is ours. We're paying for it. I'm not running away from our home. My wife feels the same way.

If you or anyone else feels differently, when it comes to the lives of your children, do it your way. If my children really need help neither you, the police, or anyone else will come to their aid. I won't rely on forewarning of impending danger or the charity and punctuality of strangers to protect my children and could not, in good conscious, recommend that course of action to anyone else.
__________________
kbd512 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:14 AM   #83
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Wolvee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 19
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcoulter View Post
Which do think is better to have next to you at night for home protection. A low capacity .45 auto (Springfield XDS 5+1) or a high capacity .9mm (Taurus 24/7 Pro 17+1)? Your thoughts are appreciated.
between Croatia or Brazil? Neither.

Think, USA, German or Swiss. (Hk's, Sigs, M&P's, Glocks)


Have a good light and know how to shoot.
__________________
Wolvee is offline  
Hightide Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:38 AM   #84
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Hightide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 64
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default

My guns are locked in the safe. I have too many collaterals for a gun in the night stand. For home defense, I rely on a big dog and my fists. I think the dog and I can handle most situations rather than take a chance on a stray round hitting a loved one.

__________________
Hightide is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:26 PM   #85
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
OlympicFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: WA
Posts: 31
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post
Axxe, I wear a gun and a vest because I want to, it is legal to do so, and it really doesn't bother me. If you feel comfortable wearing your sandals and a smile in your own home, more power to you. The only reason I carry a gun, wear a vest, practice, and train is to survive a gunfight long enough for my family to escape or the police to arrive. That is all.

Firearms are useless if they're not on your person, which is why I keep one on my person whenever it is legal for me to do so. For those times when having a firearm is not possible due to legal conundrums best left to lawyers, such as picking your daughter up from school, I wear a vest. I think it's stupid, but it's the law.

The home we live in is ours. We're paying for it. I'm not running away from our home. My wife feels the same way.

If you or anyone else feels differently, when it comes to the lives of your children, do it your way. If my children really need help neither you, the police, or anyone else will come to their aid. I won't rely on forewarning of impending danger or the charity and punctuality of strangers to protect my children and could not, in good conscious, recommend that course of action to anyone else.
Unlike the urban Liberal that seems willing to acquiesce his/her rights to the ruling elite in exchange for a feeling of safety, I think most of us that are actively armed consider our homes as our castles just like you do. I doubt that any of us would even consider running from our home or otherwise abandoning our family in any way. I also believe that many of us - given appropriate circumstances - would come to the aid of a stranger.

I disagree with the thinking that a gun is useless unless it's on your person. Strongside carry in a holster is the generally the best way to carry because it offers the easiest and fastest access to the gun. There are exceptions, of course. For example, I carry a BUG (Springfield XDS) in my coat pocket when we're out & about in the winter because trying to access a holstered gun buried under heavy winter clothing is problematic.

There are numerous other occasions when other methods of carry may be preferable. Examples include hot weather when a cover garment such as a vest isn't normal, or when wearing waders, or coveralls, or a sport/suit coat. A classic example is a gal in business attire that can access a pistol from her gun purse faster than she could from a holster hidden in her clothing.

One of my trainers had a mantra "On your person, within 3 feet, or in the safe".

My CCW goes from the safe to the holster the first thing after I get dressed. It goes back in the safe on my way to the shower at night. The designated home defense gun lives in the nightstand or in a Crossbreed Ohai holster on the side of the bed or nightstand. While access to the gun in the nightstand takes a moment, accessing a gun in a bed-mounted holster is immediate. While anything is technically possible, it's hard to imagine a bad guy getting past both big dogs that sleep at the foot of the bed. Even if a bad guy was able to prevent one of us from getting to their guns, the other one has both handgun and shotgun ready on their side.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvee View Post
between Croatia or Brazil? Neither.

Think, USA, German or Swiss. (Hk's, Sigs, M&P's, Glocks)


Have a good light and know how to shoot.
Hmm. That may be a bit harsh. While I'm not a fan of Taurus, that's because their target market is at the economical end of the scale. IMHO, the XD's and XDm's from Croatia are solid pieces and quite reliable. We have two XDm 5.25 Comp's in 9mm and an XDS - two very different guns, yet both versions have been 100% reliable, are easy to shoot and easy to shoot accurately. In fact, I recently replaced my Kahr PM40 with the XDS because the XDS is much easier to shoot accurately - a critical factor in defensive shooting.

Otherwise, I agree with a generalized version of what you're saying - Spend a bit more money and buy a quality gun for home defense.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightide View Post
My guns are locked in the safe. I have too many collaterals for a gun in the night stand. For home defense, I rely on a big dog and my fists. I think the dog and I can handle most situations rather than take a chance on a stray round hitting a loved one.
No doubt the collateral situation complicates home defense. However, I'm not convinced that even having a zoo full of little ones eliminates the value of having a gun. Consider the situations in schools and on planes where armed guards/teachers/pilots can make a difference.

There are two concerns as I see it.

#1. Safeguarding the gun from the children. Easily done with a pistol safe attached to the nightstand.

#2. Collateral damage aka "friendly fire". Frankly, I'm a believer in the "Do Know Harm, Do No Harm" school of thought. That means that I need to train long enough, hard enough and appropriately enough so that I'm confident that every round I fire will hit the desired target. I practice a lot, take one professional class annually, and participate in IDPA regularly. While IDPA isn't exactly 'training' and the requirements of the game interfere with the reality of it, it's still good practice and the pressure of the clock adds a bit of stress that's hard to duplicate. Learning how to change gears and adjust the balance between accuracy and speed is crucial, and IDPA gives me an opportunity to practice exactly that.

Equipment selection can help. For example, our home defense handguns are equipped with lasers, and mine is also equipped with a strobe light. Her shotgun is equipped with both laser and strobe. The strobes give us the ability to see what we're pointing our guns at (while theoretically dazzling the bad guy) and the CrimsonTrace lasers let us know exactly where the gun is aimed at without having to get a sight picture. Yes, some of our practice includes shooting from the hip or close position using either point-shooting for very close range or the laser for longer distances.

Lastly, is the choice of gun. While I shoot 1911's & M&Ps in competition and carry both 1911's and M&Ps (depending on which platform I'm using in competition at the time), I'm a fan of DA/SA triggers for nightstand guns, as well as for those that aren't as well skilled or trained. The short & light trigger pull of a 1911 or modern polymer gun (Glock, M&P, XDm, etc) makes it too easy for the minimally trained individual to send a round off unintentially. Especially when they are panicky and barely awake. Hence, the Sig P226 in my nightstand and the wife's S&W 686 revolver in hers.
__________________

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
Albert Einstein

OlympicFox is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:08 AM   #86
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ebster99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7
Default

High cap 9mm

__________________
ebster99 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:18 AM   #87
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,617
Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightide View Post
My guns are locked in the safe. I have too many collaterals for a gun in the night stand. For home defense, I rely on a big dog and my fists. I think the dog and I can handle most situations rather than take a chance on a stray round hitting a loved one.
Hightide;
Your arms should all be secure, however, if you are being serious about them not being an option I am concerned about your logic. With the gun you can always decide to just brandish it. Decide not to shoot it. Etc. Without it you can just let someone else decide that you needed it and it's too late for you and your loved ones...
__________________

Last edited by HockaLouis; 04-06-2013 at 01:20 AM.
HockaLouis is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:31 PM   #88
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
hangman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 2
Default

We have a wireless alarm system plus a 24/7 around the property photo system that sends to a hidden PC. Along with a tough PitBull. I always have a .40 cal auto on my nightstand/w a round chambered & safety off. There are NO children in our home. Oh, my alarm system also auto dials the police.

__________________
hangman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:08 PM   #89
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Spokane Valley, WA,Washington
Posts: 106
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default At times I do

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfroniewski View Post
That is interesting. Just to be clear here, you wear a gun on your body when you sleep?
I have a waist belt that has an internal pocket that safely holds a pistol in place. The size of the pocket positions the gun in a safe position. I do not keep a round in the barrel of the gun and have to rack the slide to do so. I have quick access to it rather than having to reach out to grab it of which there have been cases where the criminal was already at the bedside ready to prevent the home owner from grabbing for his gun relying on which direction the home owner reached out for. My hands are down by my side when I sleep which gives me the upper hand so to say when you have nano seconds to arm yourself. I worked briefly for the Federal Bureau of Prisons and had enough conversations with inmates to learn what weakness's they were counting on to achieve their agenda. That is why I do not rely on these gun safe's that sit next to the bed or having a gun more than six to three inches away from my reach when it comes to reacting to a danger. I don't have kids at home anymore which also changes the game plan more to my favor.
__________________
GaryE is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:01 PM   #90
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
OlympicFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: WA
Posts: 31
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryE View Post
I have a waist belt that has an internal pocket that safely holds a pistol in place. The size of the pocket positions the gun in a safe position. I do not keep a round in the barrel of the gun and have to rack the slide to do so. I have quick access to it rather than having to reach out to grab it of which there have been cases where the criminal was already at the bedside ready to prevent the home owner from grabbing for his gun relying on which direction the home owner reached out for. My hands are down by my side when I sleep which gives me the upper hand so to say when you have nano seconds to arm yourself. I worked briefly for the Federal Bureau of Prisons and had enough conversations with inmates to learn what weakness's they were counting on to achieve their agenda. That is why I do not rely on these gun safe's that sit next to the bed or having a gun more than six to three inches away from my reach when it comes to reacting to a danger. I don't have kids at home anymore which also changes the game plan more to my favor.
So much of your argument is founded on the idea that you only have "nano seconds to arm yourself" yet you don't have a round in the chamber. So, with your technique you have to draw from a belly-band holster (one of the slowest holsters possible) and rack then slide before you are armed. By comparison, someone with a bed-mounted holster only has to draw from a holster that resembles a strong side belt holster.

Your is not only slower, it requires two hands to ready the pistol, AND since your own scenario included the bad guy standing right next to the bed, he can easily grab your gun while you are trying to rack the slide while laying on your back.

A pistol in a strong side bed-mounted holster such as the Crossbreed Bedside/Ohai



keeps the gun discretely hidden, yet instantly ready for action. The holster portion is attached to the bedside portion with Velcro so it can be positioned precisely for an easy & fast draw. Only one hand is needed to access the gun, and since anyone serious about accessing their gun quickly keeps a round in the chamber, it is ready to fire.

If keeping a round in the chamber is too scary for you, then a frame-mounted thumb safety (or a heavy DA trigger) should alleviate those fears. Similarly, if you're concerned that the bad guy might grab the gun and wrestle it from you, then you can opt for a gun with a mag safety so you can drop the mag and disable your gun.
__________________

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
Albert Einstein

OlympicFox is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Lets Stand Together On This 1911love Legal and Activism 1 12-20-2012 05:03 AM
New gun stand. xcoreyyyx Firearm Accessories & Gear 2 06-28-2012 04:36 AM
Your last stand. Kenney The Club House 16 06-17-2012 12:21 PM
Where do you stand? canebrake Politics, Religion and Controversy 17 03-24-2010 12:00 AM
From where I Stand Kelly J Politics, Religion and Controversy 6 10-27-2008 10:45 PM