Which gun is better for the night stand? - Page 8
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Which gun is better for the night stand?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 09:14 PM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfroniewski View Post
That is interesting. Just to be clear here, you wear a gun on your body when you sleep?
That's the way I read it too.

I figure there are three basic ways to detect intrusion:
A. Dogs. The smaller hyper types seem to be the most alert while the larger laid back types are obviously more effective at actually stopping an intruder. We've had 2 or 3 dogs for many years & found the combination of a small dog and large dog rather effective.

B. Alarm systems. While it's technically true that there are pros that can beat any alarm system, the reality is that the residential home invasion isn't
done by the same guys that target Fort Knox. A good alarm system should trigger at any attempt to enter and a good surveillance system should record the event.

C. It won't happen to me. Since most folks live life by this mantra, they's done nothing to prevent a home invasion, nor have they done anything to deal with it. Statistics Fodder.
IMHO, the guy that woke up with the burglar looking down at him apparently subscribed to Plan C, but was lucky enough to talk about it afterwards.

We subscribe to Plan A mostly with a dose Plan B: three dogs and a surveillance system.

I'm all for putting the CCW on in the AM right after getting dressed and wear it until heading for bed at night. The wife not so much, so we've scattered several guns around the house in fast-acting safes. A pistol safe bolted to the side of her rocker-recliner in the living room, for example. If some guy did succeed in sneaking in and catching us unawares, it would be difficult to stop both of us from getting to one of those guns.

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
Albert Einstein

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 04-02-2013, 09:45 PM   #72

Liked 117 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 21

My plan starts with the act of building in the middle of the 300 acres I bought in 1973 - - - drive is apx. 1/2 mile long and only way in and out unless you want to hike across open fields or woods.

Second phase is a wireless alarm with 60 second camera about half way down the drive - - - get you coming and going. I have signs telling all comers to smile as I don’t want ugly pictures on my computer.

Third phase is the fact I raise Silver Gray German Shepherds ( http://www.germanshepherdkingdom.com/ ) and they stay in a 3 acre electric fence with “electric cattle guards” the dogs won’t cross surrounding my house.

Fourth are strong doors with dead bolts.

Fifth and hopefully never needed is my CCW ( 6906 S&W ) if I have not gone to bed and my quick access safe ( 66-1 S&W ) if I have.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:05 AM   #73
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 620 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 2617

I think your "Night Stand" gun,
had better be one you are completely familiar with.
No trying to remember what to do to get it to work.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 04-03-2013, 06:36 AM   #74

I firmly believe my Remington 870 with buck & ball loads is still the perfect nightstand/ home defense weapon, but that's just my opinion

Old 04-03-2013, 07:18 AM   #75
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1102 Times on 708 Posts
Likes Given: 242

Two little dogs and one big Glock.

forumrunner_20130403_011728.jpg

forumrunner_20130403_011814.jpg

Old 04-03-2013, 07:44 AM   #76
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1191 Times on 662 Posts
Likes Given: 509

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfroniewski View Post
That is interesting. Just to be clear here, you wear a gun on your body when you sleep?
I wear a III-A vest to bed, doing chores around the house, working out at the gym, etc. So far it hasn't stopped me from getting a good workout in or sleeping and has improved my posture while seated. I obviously don't shower with it, but that's about it. Neither my Glock 17 nor my vest have ever stopped me from sleeping. I don't sleep with my boots on, but that's about it.

The point of having a gun and/or body armor isn't to have shoot-outs with criminals, it's to survive a gun fight.

Contrary to what's shown on TV and taught in many shooting schools, gun fights happen on just two occasions:

- When you're ready for them

- When you're not ready for them

An IDPA ref isn't gonna say "Shooter ready?" before a criminal is about to ruin your day and Chris Costa isn't gonna pop up and say "Bust 'em!" when it's time to shoot.

People who survive criminal shootings, unarmed, invariably have one thought going through their heads, "Damn, wish I had my gun right now." I don't really want to be in that position if I don't have to be. Do what's best for you, but realize that even if you "know kung fu" like Keanu Reeves, you're not going to dodge bullets like he did in The Matrix.

If you're not going to carry it with you or have it immediately accessible, apart from target shooting or collecting, what's the point?

On that note, it's probably best to bring a loaded gun to a gun fight. Apparently there are still people who believe otherwise, but I think they're candidates for a Darwin award. If you wouldn't bring a butter knife to a knife fight, there's no reason to bring an unloaded gun to a gun fight.

As previously noted, and to be repetitively redundant, there's "being armed and ready" and then there's "not being armed and/or ready". The former makes more sense to me than the latter, but I know someone here will argue the point.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:14 AM   #77
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1102 Times on 708 Posts
Likes Given: 242

If you are sleeping, packed, you should get a better crib where your walls provide protection. Distance, barriers, alarms, deterrents all make it possible to let your guard down.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:54 AM   #78
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1191 Times on 662 Posts
Likes Given: 509

AR10,

We have burglar bars, an alarm system, locked doors and windows, and a good sized boxer. Deterrents are quaint ideas, but I don't like to rely on them.

When you're asleep, your guard is as down as it can be. Although the lesson is clearly lost on you, all the assumptions in the world won't help you if you really need a gun and don't have it. If you want to assume time to prepare for a home invasion after waking up at 3 AM, be my guest. For your sake, I sincerely hope that your assumptions work out for you.

Taking unnecessary chances with the lives of my children is foolish, to me. I also stop at all stop signs and make everyone wear their seat belts, even if it's readily apparent that no cars are coming or we're the only vehicle on the road.

Last edited by kbd512; 04-04-2013 at 12:57 AM.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:50 AM   #79

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10
Two little dogs and one big Glock.
One medium Cat, one Glock 22 and just in case a S&W snub nose 38 ( which is so inaccurate it is better used a a brick).

Old 04-04-2013, 09:05 AM   #80
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21987 Times on 12397 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post
AR10,

We have burglar bars, an alarm system, locked doors and windows, and a good sized boxer. Deterrents are quaint ideas, but I don't like to rely on them.

When you're asleep, your guard is as down as it can be. Although the lesson is clearly lost on you, all the assumptions in the world won't help you if you really need a gun and don't have it. If you want to assume time to prepare for a home invasion after waking up at 3 AM, be my guest. For your sake, I sincerely hope that your assumptions work out for you.

Taking unnecessary chances with the lives of my children is foolish, to me. I also stop at all stop signs and make everyone wear their seat belts, even if it's readily apparent that no cars are coming or we're the only vehicle on the road.
you really have taken paranoid to a new level! if i felt with all the deterrents you have in place and still felt the need to wear bulletproof vest 24/7 and sleep with a gun on me while asleep, i would be looking at making an address change!