Which gun is better for the night stand? - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Which gun is better for the night stand?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 01:59 PM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 14

The OP presumably named the guns he has, so other suggestions are moot. Best thing I read here was to hide that gun. One suggestion. Use the high cap 9mm (I assume it's not really a .9mm as described!) It should have night sights and a light, and load it with Federal Guard Dog ammo for reliable expansion and minimal wall penetration.

We have an alarm, and our BR is upstairs, but the hidden gun is still excellent advice that I'm going to work on. Now the XDM45 sits on the nightstand or in a GunVault (tm) when there are kids over. Crossbreed makes a mattress holster called the Bedside Backup, but it's available for fairly few guns. I've thought about a trip wire at the bottom of the stairs, so the BG falling could wake me up...but it would probably just trip me every morning!

Bill
"If I were the Devil, I'd take from those who have and give to those who wanted until I had killed the incentive of the ambitious. Then my police state would force everybody back to work."
-Paul Harvey, 1964
Guns? What guns? Oh, I haven't seen those since I left my garage door open one night by mistake.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:05 PM   #62

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default If those are the only 2 choices

then I'd go with the 9mm (in +P configuration). Personally, I keep my daily carry gun in my nightstand which is a 1911 in .38 Super +P. I also keep a .12 gauge within reach and single action .357, which is the first pistol I ever bought way back in 1982 at Cherry Pit, NC. Needless to say, I have no kids at home anymore and when a grandchild is present I lock everything up.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:13 PM   #63

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

you know they make high cap mags for the 1911 right and since concealment is not a problem the mag hanging out of the bottom should not be a problem either

Old 03-29-2013, 11:56 PM   #64
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwk4667
Just a nightstand is a bad Idea - - - Look at the Indianapolis news from last week. A couple in their 60s that have no children around had a 40 cal on their nightstand when a niece and her children came for a visit - - - the 3 year old boy wandered away and found the pistol and shot himself in the stomach - - - he is still in Riley Hospital for kids.

My nightstand has a Winchester "no look" safe ( easy to open in the dark after practice ) and while a thief could steal the entire nightstand that is not what that safe is for.

In the dark hit the combination and it opens and a light comes on inside for 3 seconds.

Inside a model 66-1 with a 2 1/2 “ barrel and good flashlights.

I have grandchildren in the house all the time and it is my responsibility to keep them safe from all threats and that includes me if I was stupid enough to leave a firearm where anyone unauthorized could gain access.
I have one of those as well and even though they are super easy to pop open without a key or combo they are a great little safe for the bedside.
Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Old 03-30-2013, 12:40 AM   #65

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Decided to use the revolver for night time protection

I've been keeping a 1911 behind me in a holster that mounts to the back of the bed board which is right behind my pillow but am going to be using my wifes Revolver which I don't have to rack any slide back as on the semi. I figure the less time needed to pull the trigger is the best choice for night time use.

Old 03-30-2013, 12:42 AM   #66

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default I keep the gun on me during the day and at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvsafe View Post
I have one of those as well and even though they are super easy to pop open without a key or combo they are a great little safe for the bedside.
I usually keep the gun on me at all times. When the grandson visits there's no chance he can get the gun.

Old 03-30-2013, 01:21 PM   #67

Liked 117 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvsafe View Post
If the one you have is easy to pop open then get a better brand - - - I have seen the u tube videos and I guarantee you my "Winchester" brand ( about $75.00 ) cannot be opened without a large hammer and wrecking bar. My son and daughter-in-law took one home as they felt it could be opened from watching the videos and they felt a 4 button combination could be defeated - - - after 2 weeks and lots of dents and scratches they decided I had welded it and brought it back - - - I punched in the combination and it popped right open.

A friend just bought one that stores 16 finger prints - - - I am looking into getting one ( about $100.00 ) the manufacturer recommends that you save multiple finger prints so that if you have a problem it will still work. My friend stored both index fingers and both thumbs for himself and his wife. He feels if he ever has both thumbs and index fingers damaged he might not be in shape for a firearm anyway!
Old 03-30-2013, 07:04 PM   #68

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

We're in our 60's and the grandkids live 1500 miles away, so it's very rare for little ones to be in the house. None the less, we have a lock near the top of the bedroom door for those rare occasions.

While I'm always armed, the wife isn't. So we've mounted a small pistol safe to the side of her rocker-recliner and a long gun receiver safe (covers the receiver only). The door of the pistol safe drops open and reveals an M&P 9c, and latch of the long gun safe pops open and lets her grab her 20 ga Mossberg 510 Mini with light & laser. She really likes her little Mossberg pump.

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
Albert Einstein

Old 03-31-2013, 08:26 PM   #69

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default My personal opinion

I don't have kids in the house and what I have learned from the past working with inmates etc. is that in most situations the time needed to open a gun safe be it palm print or conventional format is too long. I have seen too many cases where had the person not had the gun on them they would have fallen victim to the criminals. There usually is only a matter of mere seconds to react before the criminal is facing you-especially at night when your awaken from a sound sleep. I have a gun on me day and night and have found at night to be comfortable if the gun is positioned properly. I'm not one to ever sleep on my stomach which is where the gun is which leaves me able to turn on my side at night. I do have a holster right behind me on the bed but with the recent increase in crime due to the economy, drug use etc. I have decided to have a gun on me in which I do not have to reach out of my way to obtain. One story I read was a man who was awakened only to find the criminal standing by his bed looking at him. The homeowner had a gun under his pillow and was able to shoot the criminal. Had the homeowner had this gun anywhere else I don't think he would have come out of this situation in a positive manner.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:30 PM   #70

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

That is interesting. Just to be clear here, you wear a gun on your body when you sleep?