Which gun is better for the night stand? - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Which gun is better for the night stand?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 04:23 AM   #51
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21300 Times on 12085 Posts
Likes Given: 53065

Quote:
Originally Posted by gferg81 View Post
Try this approach. Downstairs I have a 92.3 lb Doberman pinsher named Sollie. If anyone walks in my yard or close to my home he wakes me up. I grad my shotgun or my 9mm...maybe both. My point is a dog who barks is the best first line of defense.
any dog, if they bark at something out of the ordinary is a good first line of defence. even a small yappy dog is good! with the amount of dogs i have around and in the house, there is no way anyone can get near our house without us knowing it!

Old 03-21-2013, 05:41 AM   #52

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OggieO View Post
My personal choice is a Sig P239 with night sights. It sits right next to my high output tactical flashlight. I chose the Sig because I can shoot it very accurately. I chose night sights and the tactical flashlight because if I have to use it, it will probably be dark. Whether it be shooting a silhouette with night sights, or shooting at a blinded target basking in the flow of 200 lumens, the Sig will get the job done.
I also keep a suppressed MAC 10 45 close at hand and a suppressed S&W M&P 45.My SERBU also has a tac rail with a Streamlight TLR-2
I have an industrial strength alarm system that has redundant systems and security cameras(continuous recording in real time) inside and outside (infra red cameras)with a split screen monitor on 24/7
If anyone breeched my home anywhere, I would have plenty of time to react( Sheriff shows up about 2 minutes after my alarm is tripped and monitored by a central monitoring station 24/7
My 2 dogs are a big help too as far as early warning.
( I am a Class III dealer and own several class III items personally through my NFA Trust)

Last edited by sixgun shorty; 03-21-2013 at 05:50 AM.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:56 AM   #53
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2091 Times on 1137 Posts
Likes Given: 755

I had a 17 round SR9C in my nightstand. Then I bought my 8 round 1911, and that took its place.

I remember Rob Leatham saying one time, "I want either the biggest bullet I can shoot, or I want a lot of bullets I can shoot."

So flip a coin.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 03-21-2013, 06:03 AM   #54

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
I had a 17 round SR9C in my nightstand. Then I bought my 8 round 1911, and that took its place.

I remember Rob Leatham saying one time, "I want either the biggest bullet I can shoot, or I want a lot of bullets I can shoot."

So flip a coin.
Me too..Hence the Mac 10 with a 50 rd mag

Old 03-21-2013, 08:08 AM   #55

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Night Stand Gun = a home defense gun kept at the ready in the night stand. Since I've yet to see a shotgun small enough to fit in a night stand, I'll assume we're talking about the best handgun for the night stand.

Our criteria:

• An intuitive platform that functions just fine without the benefit of being primed with a cup of java first
  • A stable platform with major caliber ammunition
  • Equipped with a laser and/or light

My choice is a Sig P226 Elite Stainless
  • SCT magazine full of 40 S&W 165gr Ranger-T
  • Hogue rugger finger groove grips to maximize my grip
  • Strobe/lazer combo
  • TruGlo TFO Tritium/Fiber Optic combo sights
  • Sig Custom Shop Action work with smooth 7.6#/3.6# DA/SA trigger with a short trigger so the wife can handle it easily.

It's reliable, big & heavy to absorb recoil in case my grip isn't ideal while I'm fumbling in the dark, points naturally, and doesn't require any more thought to make work in the middle of the night than a revolver. Speaking of which . . .

My wife's choice is an S&W 686 2.5"
  • 6 rounds of 158 gr 357 Magnum Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel
  • S&W Performance Center Action Work (8.2# DA trigger pull)
  • CrimsonTrace Laser

BTW, there's a Mossberg 590A1 12 gauge on my side and a Mossberg 510 20-gauge on her side. And 3 dogs.

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
Albert Einstein

Old 03-21-2013, 08:32 AM   #56

The best firearm for the night stand, bed side, closet, whatever.... Is the one you have! The one you are completely proficient with and know inside-out. It's the one you practice with at least once a week (dry-fire drill), meticulously maintained, kept safely stored when not only accessible by you. Easily reached and GTG in the dark. Anything else is a prescription for disaster. I keep a Glock 19, 10rnds (CA), Glaser Safety. However, a close friend, who has been an LEO for over 30 years, keeps advising a pistol grip Mossberg 500, loaded with any standard bird-shot. Devastating @ close range & won't hit your next door neighbor.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:05 PM   #57

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tupelo_marine
12" barreled AR with eotech, surefire G2X Tactical, and three 30-round p-mags and a Glock 22 with a Streamlight TLR-1 (300 lumen model), Trijicon night sights, and three spare mags is my personal bedside arsenal but that's because I'm comfortable with that setup and I carry them everyday (except the 22 since we recently transitioned to the 17 at work). One big factor in my choices is that my wife is also comfortable with these. I asked her if she wanted a 9-mil but she'd rather have the full-size .40...I couldn't have been more proud.
LOL.... If only I could convince my wife my arsenal is for OUR protection & no other reason....... I'm always asked every night "Why is it necessary to get those out of the safe every single night"

Old 03-21-2013, 12:21 PM   #58

Liked 117 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Just a nightstand is a bad Idea - - - Look at the Indianapolis news from last week. A couple in their 60s that have no children around had a 40 cal on their nightstand when a niece and her children came for a visit - - - the 3 year old boy wandered away and found the pistol and shot himself in the stomach - - - he is still in Riley Hospital for kids.

My nightstand has a Winchester "no look" safe ( easy to open in the dark after practice ) and while a thief could steal the entire nightstand that is not what that safe is for.

In the dark hit the combination and it opens and a light comes on inside for 3 seconds.

Inside a model 66-1 with a 2 1/2 “ barrel and good flashlights.

I have grandchildren in the house all the time and it is my responsibility to keep them safe from all threats and that includes me if I was stupid enough to leave a firearm where anyone unauthorized could gain access.

nightstand.jpg   winchester-open.jpg   showing-safe-contents.jpg  
Old 03-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #59

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

Both. Anything you can reach in time of crises is the perfect weapon. I have a 38 hanging on th left bedpost, a 380 on the right night stand, a shot gun in the corner (within reach) and a 9 on the bookcase on the way out of the room. Cant ever be to careful.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:38 PM   #60

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I never leave mine unattended. They come out at bed time & return to the locked safe in the morning. I've taught my kids about gun safety, & repeatedly explained to the the dangers of guns in the wrong hands. I honestly think I've over dine it because my youngest son won't even touch an unloaded gun with me standing right there.