Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Which gun is better for the night stand?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2013, 06:23 PM   #201
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

As much as I love my 9mm 1911's I'm not convinced that a 9mm 1911 makes the ideal home defense gun.

• Reliability: The most critical factor in a defensive gun. As nice as they are to shoot, sub-caliber (9mm) 1911's are not known for being 100% reliable. Virtually any modern service gun is more reliable than a sub-caliber 1911.
  • Capacity: If the goal is more rounds, then why chose a platform limited to just 10 rounds? We have two superb 9mm 1911's, but for home defense I'd much rather have my Sig P226 carries 15+1 of 40S&W and the wife's XDm 5.25 carries 19+1 of 9mm.

Rather than trying to compensate for anxiety & low light by hosing the target with more ammo, my plan is more direct:
  • Anxiety: Train. When the SHTF, you will do what you train. Attend at least one defensive course each year, plus participation in one of the action shooting sports to develop & maintain the requisite skills.
  • Low Light: Have a light, either a hand-held light or a weapon-mounted light. My Sig has a rail-mounted light, plus there are two hand lights next to it on the nightstand. Additionally, strategically placed motion sensor lighting can illuminate the bad guy while minimizing exposure of the homeowner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall View Post
Change of preference!! 9mm high capacity (15+1)!! Somebody mentioned "low light" and that made some sense to me!! So I finally found a purpose for my full size 9!! Night stand gun, fully cocked and loaded, safety on! With another loaded mag nearby!! That's 31 rounds I have easy access to, that I could probably fire off inside 60 seconds, hopefully I will never have to go there! 31 rounds can cover up a bunch of bad shooting or nervous anxiety!!

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
Albert Einstein

Old 05-31-2013, 08:29 PM   #202

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts

I don't keep it there. too likely to see it pointed at me. I keep it between the mattress and the box springs, near the head of my bed, on the far side from the door. I use the same pocket 9mm that I EDC. why change? KISS is very, very applicable to combat, So is Murphy's Law.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:24 AM   #203

As much as all this talk is - I really don't think the 'BG's' really want to get into a gun fight. Call 911 and a few shots will probably will get them to leave.

Most of you probably haven't been in combat: it really sucks, but, these are situations that people are there to 'kill and destroy'. Most home invasions are to 'get in and get out' situations.

I really wouldn't get to hung up on the weapon: just having and shooting will probably change the whole situation.

DO you really thing this will go on for 10/20 minutes; gun fights do NOT last that long (though it may seem to last that long).

In the Boston shoot out over 250 shot were fired: one BG killed and one Transit cop hit (my sisters son in law) - not a lot of hits

Have an escape plan and get the 'hell out of there'.

[combat Marine - Vietnam).

Old 06-01-2013, 05:53 AM   #204
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19871 Times on 11287 Posts
Likes Given: 50099

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebush62 View Post
As much as all this talk is - I really don't think the 'BG's' really want to get into a gun fight. Call 911 and a few shots will probably will get them to leave.

Most of you probably haven't been in combat: it really sucks, but, these are situations that people are there to 'kill and destroy'. Most home invasions are to 'get in and get out' situations.

I really wouldn't get to hung up on the weapon: just having and shooting will probably change the whole situation.

DO you really thing this will go on for 10/20 minutes; gun fights do NOT last that long (though it may seem to last that long).

In the Boston shoot out over 250 shot were fired: one BG killed and one Transit cop hit (my sisters son in law) - not a lot of hits

so you suggest and recommend giving warning shots? warning shots are just bad advice for too many reasons. could be interpreted by LE or a prosecutor that maybe your life really wasn't in danger in the first place and maybe you shouldn't have been firing a gun in the first place. then there is the off chance that simply firing without a particular target that someone could be hit by stray fire and then also the possibilty of being charged with the unlawful discharge of a firearm. bad advice all the way around on that one.

and a home invasion is totally different than a home burglary. a home burglar is going to usually break in when he feels no one is home and make off with your valuables. a home invasion isn't about just theft but assault, rape sometimes and many times murder and the theft is usually an afterthought. home invaders many times murder the homeowners so as to not leave witness'.

you might want to really re-assess your thoughts on this. using a firearm in SD situations isn't anything like combat. having a firearm means the acceptance that you might have to use it but hope you never have to. but if so, warning shots are not the proper method or frame of mind to using a firearm. if not willing or prepared to accept the fact or the reality of taking another person's life in a SD situation, then that person has no business with a firearm in the first place. having a firearm may be a right, but it's a responsibilty as well and a commitment to certain realities.

i gave much thought and reflection on this many years ago and did much thinking and soul searching on the usage of firearm and killing another person. it was not easy nor did i take it lightly. my conclusions came down to this after talking to my father and other people, that when faced with it, i will use deadly force if needed. i will not shoot to kill or wound but to stop the threat, period. if they are killed so be it. if they are wounded but have stopped being a threat, then so be it. but my prime motive is to survive and to protect myself and my family and loved ones. i do not believe in giving a BG a chance or warnings. when they endanger my life or my loved ones, they gave up that chance.
People Like This 
Old 06-01-2013, 06:30 AM   #205

When did I say anything about warning shots - no hesitation: shot the SOB

Don't over analyze the situation: shoot.

Old 06-01-2013, 06:33 AM   #206

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebush62 View Post
When did I say anything about warning shots - no hesitation: shot the SOB

Don't over analyze the situation: shoot.
were these not your words?

As much as all this talk is - I really don't think the 'BG's' really want to get into a gun fight. Call 911 and a few shots will probably will get them to leave

sounds like giving warning shots to me.
People Like This 
Old 06-01-2013, 12:16 PM   #207
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1764 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post

As much as all this talk is - I really don't think the 'BG's' really want to get into a gun fight. Call 911 and a few shots will probably will get them to leave

That's also the way I interpreted his statement. Not necessarily a "warning" shot but an announcement that he really did have a gun and was willing to use it. Hmm. Yeah, I guess that is a warning shot.

Personally, without knowing how many there are and where the are, I prefer not wasting ammo without a confirmed target.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:11 PM   #208

Liked 2175 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post

Same here--
Ammo is to dam expensive to waste on warning shots

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

People Like This 
Old 06-01-2013, 02:50 PM   #209

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebush62

I like and believe most of what you say!! And I personally appreciate your service to our Country!! I do believe most any gun is sufficient for home Defense!! Most BG's want something from you and it's generally not your life or wife!! And if its your life they want, they are very likely not to breakdown your door to do that!! And in most States you just can't shoot people cause they want to steel your granddaddies gold watch!! Even if they are in your house you have to prove intent to do grave harm!! So if you shoot someone at least in the State of FL they better be twice your size or have a deadly weapon in there hands!! And yes by the letter of the law shooting someone should be very last resort to preserve your life or someone else! In no circumstances is it lawful to shoot people over theft!! Now there is a bit of gray there to lean on when it comes to "intent" especially when someone invades your house!! And yes running or escaping, should be considered way before you attempt to take a life!! Gun owning/carrying is a tremendous responsibility, we are walking around with little bombs in our pockets!! Society has a great deal of trust in us, wether they know it or not!! Your brain is far more likely to save your life and keep you out of jail than any gun every made!! Peace my friends!! Love to talk guns!!

Old 06-01-2013, 04:02 PM   #210

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall View Post
I like and believe most of what you say!! And I personally appreciate your service to our Country!! I do believe most any gun is sufficient for home Defense!! Most BG's want something from you and it's generally not your life or wife!! And if its your life they want, they are very likely not to breakdown your door to do that!! And in most States you just can't shoot people cause they want to steel your granddaddies gold watch!! Even if they are in your house you have to prove intent to do grave harm!! So if you shoot someone at least in the State of FL they better be twice your size or have a deadly weapon in there hands!! And yes by the letter of the law shooting someone should be very last resort to preserve your life or someone else! In no circumstances is it lawful to shoot people over theft!! Now there is a bit of gray there to lean on when it comes to "intent" especially when someone invades your house!! And yes running or escaping, should be considered way before you attempt to take a life!! Gun owning/carrying is a tremendous responsibility, we are walking around with little bombs in our pockets!! Society has a great deal of trust in us, wether they know it or not!! Your brain is far more likely to save your life and keep you out of jail than any gun every made!! Peace my friends!! Love to talk guns!!
Mahall, maybe you live in one of those liberal states where you have to need permission to own a gun much less use it for SD, but i live in Texas and in Texas with our Castle Law we are allowed to use even up to deadly force to defend even our property.

we don't have to prove intent at a break in. only that we were in fear for our safety. we don't even have to retreat if possible. a BG or BG's break into your home at 2:00 in the morning, i seriously doubt they are there for tea and cookies or even you big screen tv. they have a different agenda as they knew you were home. if robbery was the only motive, they would hit your home when everyone was gone.

and will add this, that if you are uncommitted or not prepared to use deadly force if needed in defence of your life or your loved ones, then you have no business with a firearm for SD purposes. IMO, the taking of a life, even a BG's life is not an easy decision to make and not one i made lightly, but after much thought and reflection on the matter.

and why should i have to run or retreat from my own home just to appease the wishes of a BG who decides to commit and act of violence? i shouldn't have to, it's my home and my property and he has no rights there, but i do and the law in the state of Texas is on my side, not the BG's. in Texas when a BG breaks into my home i have the right to show him the error of his choices.
wizard63 Likes This