Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Which gun is better for the night stand?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 06:25 PM   #191
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
Thats why we changed its direction------------------------
WHY do you keep eyeballing & replying if you hate it so much?
It seems that BeyondTheBox wants the thread to stay in the box. Go figure.

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
Albert Einstein

Old 04-29-2013, 06:56 PM   #192

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Hearing protection is guns

• Most folks don't seem to think they need it until it's too late.
  • Most folks think any old gun will do; who needs an $800 Sig when a $300 Ruger LCP goes bang, too?

If your life is only worth a $300 gun, then I guess it makes sense to you that your hearing is only worth $3. Personally, I prefer $800 Sigs for defense and $3000 1911's for toys, so spending $300 on a top notch set of muffs makes sense to me.

Any noise over 85 db is harmful. Over 165 db is painful. Every 3 db represents doubling the noise level - 98 db is twice as loud as 95 db.

Loudness X duration = total noise. Gunfire is very short, but extremely loud. One shot of a 357 Magnum is about 165 db for 2 msec; the equivalent of 40 hours in a noisy workplace.

Gunfire averages about 158 db; 22LR around 135-145 db, high powered rifles are 155-170 db with pistols in between.

So, if you use a cheap set of ear plugs or muffs rated at 19 db when you're shooting your 9mm pistol (159 db) you're ears are still getting a 140 db dose of sound energy.

OTOH, I've got a set of hearing aids modified with 23 db worth of silicone under my $300 ProEars muffs rated at 33 db, so my ears are only getting 103 db dose of sound energy. That's less than 1/12th of what you're getting.

Even my wife is paying attention to the numbers on the hearing protection lately and just bought a set of 28 db muffs.

BTW, most of my shooting is sub-sonic IDPA loads so it's already relatively quiet.

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
Albert Einstein

Old 05-04-2013, 08:54 PM   #193
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1590 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 786

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcoulter View Post
Which do think is better to have next to you at night for home protection. A low capacity .45 auto (Springfield XDS 5+1) or a high capacity .9mm (Taurus 24/7 Pro 17+1)? Your thoughts are appreciated.

As long as they are unloaded any of them are fine!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Hightide Likes This 
Old 05-10-2013, 10:35 AM   #194

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I keep a 629 S&W 44 mag loaded in my night stand! If needed, I want "SURE" knock down power even if I don't strike a kill shot! The knockdown strike will surely allow the following shots to do the trick!! I don't play small ball when it comes to home defense! In my opinion, a large caliber revolver should be used for home defense!! I do own some Semis that I carry!! Even though a high capacity 45 has plenty of knockdown power, the reliability of a big boy revolver mag makes the most sense to me! And yes the good ole 12g shotgun is the very best!! But very hard to fit in most night stands!

Old 05-10-2013, 12:54 PM   #195

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Handgun knockdown power, the myth that wouldn't die. Look here for results of an objective study. In many calibers, the numbers of shootings studied were fairly low and so may be less reliable indicators.

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/handgun-stopping-power

Bill
"If I were the Devil, I'd take from those who have and give to those who wanted until I had killed the incentive of the ambitious. Then my police state would force everybody back to work."
-Paul Harvey, 1964
Guns? What guns? Oh, I haven't seen those since I left my garage door open one night by mistake.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:43 PM   #196

Liked 32 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb View Post
In my opinion whatever you are most comfortable with. Practice, practice, practice, until shooting your pd weapon is second nature.

If I can't get to the Mossberg 500 mounted in my closet, I keep a S&W 686 in the nightstand.
I, too, keep a mossberg 500 in the closest, cut down to 19" barrel, and I keep a Sig 9mm with night sights on the table. The night sights show me where the gun is, more than for aiming purposes . The Sig P-6 is my best gun for "point and shoot" work. Seems my instincts are better with it. I really don't see us having a major gun battle down the bedroom hallway. Our plan is to call 911 and defend the bedroom wing. I suspect that the shotgun discharging just once with #3 buckshot will cool anybody's ardor for stealing our sheets , or whatever else they think they want.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:10 PM   #197

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall View Post
I keep a 629 S&W 44 mag loaded in my night stand! If needed, I want "SURE" knock down power even if I don't strike a kill shot! The knockdown strike will surely allow the following shots to do the trick!! I don't play small ball when it comes to home defense! In my opinion, a large caliber revolver should be used for home defense!! I do own some Semis that I carry!! Even though a high capacity 45 has plenty of knockdown power, the reliability of a big boy revolver mag makes the most sense to me! And yes the good ole 12g shotgun is the very best!! But very hard to fit in most night stands!

A surprising number of folks think the 44 Magnum is the ultimate man-stopper handgun cartridge. No doubt another factoid courtesy of Hollywood. However, historical data shows that the best 357 Magnum (96%), 40 S&W (94%) and 45 ACP (96%) have better one-shot stop records than the best 44 Magnum (92%). Interestingly, the lowly 9mm's record is 91% - my 9mm round of choice has a record of 90%.

http://www.handloads.com/misc/stoppingpower.asp?Caliber=0&Weight=All

Location, location, location. Just like in real estate, shot placement is King. If the shot doesn't hit something critical, then it matters little what the caliber was. A well placed 380 or 38 Special round is more likely effective at stopping the threat than a poorly placed big bore round. The same line of thinking shows up in deer & elk hunting discussions. Lots of folks swear that a 30-06 or 308 is needed - because they are poor shots - when a 243 is plenty capable of dropping any deer and have dropped many elk.

Lastly, one of the major problems with extremely high-powered handguns like the 44 Magnum, 10 mm and 45 ACP +P+ is big-time recoil. Recoil affects the first shot, not just the second shot. The problem is that very few folks can shoot a Magnum caliber gun (this includes rifles) without flinching. Practice isn't pleasant, so the body learns to flinch. As a result, accurate shot placement is difficult, so difficult that the caliber can't make up for the loss of shot placement accuracy. The second issue is follow-up shots - much slower as a result of the time it takes to recovery from the recoil, muzzle blast, etc.

If you think you can handle that 44 Magnum just fine, I'd like to watch you shoot it in an IDPA match that simulates self-defense scenarios. My personal experience is that I can shoot a 9mm pistol (either my Nighthawk 1911 or M&P 9 Pro) significantly faster and more accurately than I can shoot any of my 45 ACP 1911's (Nighthawk, Ed Brown or Springfield TM) as a result of those recoil-related issues. Likewise, I shoot my S&W 686 almost as fast as I shoot the 45ACP 1911's but the S&W 625 is noticeably slower and my hits are less accurate.

After carefully looking at the real world data, my preferred compromise - they are all compromises - is a Sig P226 Elite Stainless in 40 S&W with an SCT mag holding 15+1 rounds. I've used this particular Sig in competition where I'm nearly as fast with it's DA/SA trigger as I am with the 1911's trigger, plus the heavy all stainless Sig absorbs 40S&W's snappy recoil making for fast spot-on follow-up shots. Lastly, the Sig P226 points more naturally than anything I've ever owned so point-shooting is quite effective to nearly 15 yards. While revolvers are infamously reliable, I've never had a failure with any of my P226's, so I see little advantage to the revolver to offset its limited capacity.

Lastly, there is always the shotgun. Actually, a pair of Mossbergs. Should the SHTF in such a cataclysmic way that defending the perimeter became necessary, then there are AR's, etc.

Albert Einstein

Old 05-10-2013, 09:19 PM   #198

Liked 163 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I'm sticking to my Baby Desert Eagle ll in 40 S&W, hopefully, two to the chest and if that doesn't stop the BG, the third to what I consider center mass, 3x6 forehead (average). Backup weapon, 12 ga. Mossberg maverick with PDX1 Defender cartridges. Of course, I have to mention the Mrs behind me with a Windicator 357 mag loaded with Hornady Critical Defense. Should I feel bad for the BG?

Old 05-28-2013, 09:06 PM   #199

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Change of preference!! 9mm high capacity (15+1)!! Somebody mentioned "low light" and that made some sense to me!! So I finally found a purpose for my full size 9!! Night stand gun, fully cocked and loaded, safety on! With another loaded mag nearby!! That's 31 rounds I have easy access to, that I could probably fire off inside 60 seconds, hopefully I will never have to go there! 31 rounds can cover up a bunch of bad shooting or nervous anxiety!!

Old 05-28-2013, 10:01 PM   #200

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My home defense is a Benelli super 90 with 7+1 with a Surefire foregrip. If I can't get to that then I have an FNX45 Tactical with tall night sights and a Surefire X300 Ultra pumping out 500 lumens of blinding light.

The FNX has 15 + 1 of 45 ACP plus 2 additional mags.