Which gun is better for the night stand? - Page 19
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Which gun is better for the night stand?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2013, 01:34 PM   #181
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2180 Times on 1471 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
mine too. if it ain't broke, don't fix it. i'll replace mine when or if they break, or i lose them. i have two pair of them. a spare set for the wife when she shoots with me, or if my father comes over to shoot with me.

usually i'll just use plug type for shooting rimfires though.
I've honestly been trying to use something everytime i shoot now-
Had ringing ears for years

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 04-28-2013, 01:54 PM   #182

Liked 1139 Times on 591 Posts
Likes Given: 49

After years and years of shooting, mostly without hearing protection, my wife says that I'm getting hard of hearing. I think it's more a situation of being hard of listening.

Old 04-28-2013, 02:00 PM   #183
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21584 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
After years and years of shooting, mostly without hearing protection, my wife says that I'm getting hard of hearing. I think it's more a situation of being hard of listening.
i can still hear, but have a hard time understanding. the clarity is just about gone, especially if there is lots of background noise.

too many years of working around loud equipment with no protection.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:21 PM   #184

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Default Hock's Noise Brakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
These are in the nightstand. They allow hearing but are designed to attenuate only loud noise. And the louder the more they are dampened. These let your ears breath and are comfy as well as hard to see. These are not meant to replace solid plugs or big headphones, only mitigate sounds -- to me that includes potentially shooting indoors or around the house (or anywhere for that matter) in a HD situation. Every time you hear a sound that hurts, especially if you hear ringing, you have done permanent damage to your hearing. Here's how I know...

My left ear's hearing is a little dampened from small arms fire on a military academy range. Damned bit was it wasn't my own gun and it was from a position noticebly forward of me. Anyway, I want to help prevent more damage. These kinds of plugs help but the older versions someone made I learned did not work as well as they said and were not great for long term, loud, use.

You see, the day we started the air offensive in Iraq I was on an indoor range. When I saw an attack had started I left and was entering a base w/an MP asking me a question. After the third time I had to get out of the car and say to her "sweetie (OK, I guess I was a sexist), I'm not being difficult -- I can't hear a word you're saying." That was a half hour later and I hadn't realized the extent of the issue till I spoke with someone for the first time.

I had been using pass-thru plugs and firing progressively bigger guns and did not notice the increasing volume. Permanent loss was rather limited to a narrow frequency, thank goodness, but I did have tinia from that point on.

Protect your ears including in and around your home. These are not cheap but have a special niche and a pair is around at home and GHB's at all time.

http://noisebrakers.com/noise_braker/how_the_noise_braker_works
hocks.gif  

Last edited by HockaLouis; 04-28-2013 at 02:42 PM.

Old 04-28-2013, 02:28 PM   #185
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21584 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
These are in the nightstand. They allow hearing but are designed to attenuate only loud noise. And the louder the more they are dampened. These are not meant to replace solid plugs or big headphones, only mitigate explosive sounds as in shooting indoors. Every time you hear a sound that hurts, especially if you hear ringing, you have done permanent damage to your hearing.

My left ear's hearing is a little dampened from small arms fire on a military academy range. I want to help prevent more damage. These kinds of plugs help but the older versions someone made I learned were not great for long term. loud, use. The day we started the air offensive in Iraq I was on a range. When I saw an attack had started I left and was checking in on a base. The MP was asking me a question. After the third time I had to get out of the car and tell here I couldn't hear a word she was saying and it was a half hour later.

I had been using pass-thru plugs and firing progressively bigger guns and did not notice the increased volume. Permanent loss was rather limited to a narrow frequency thank goodness but I did have tinia from that point on.

Protect your ears including in and around your home. These are not cheap but have a special niche and a pair is around at home and GHB's at all time.

http://noisebrakers.com/noise_braker/how_the_noise_braker_works
just cuious Hock, but if you hear a bump in the night, you're going to take the time to put in ear plugs? Hmmmmm...............
Old 04-28-2013, 04:03 PM   #186
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1227 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I use a Ruger 9 mm with a 17 + 1. I also like more rounds in low light.

A bad day at the range is better then a good day on the job!

Old 04-29-2013, 04:19 AM   #187

Liked 71 Times on 59 Posts

I'd go for the Taurus

Old 04-29-2013, 05:49 AM   #188

Liked 287 Times on 249 Posts

This thread should've been dead long, long, long ago!!!!

This has become more than merely tangential, it's so off topic you've all become trolls by definition.

Just saying. Fact vs fiction. I don't know why but I really hate this thread with a passion.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:20 AM   #189

Liked 2180 Times on 1471 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
This thread should've been dead long, long, long ago!!!!

This has become more than merely tangential, it's so off topic you've all become trolls by definition.

Just saying. Fact vs fiction. I don't know why but I really hate this thread with a passion.
Thats why we changed its direction------------------------
WHY do you keep eyeballing & replying if you hate it so much?

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

People Like This 
Old 04-29-2013, 12:02 PM   #190

Liked 117 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
some of the newer electronic hearing protectors are amplified. they amplify low level sounds while reducing loud sharp sounds like gunfire. people like them for gun ranges. they can hear the RSO and others talking, but it blocks gunfire.
These come in both Stereo and Mono -- - either are great for the range and the mono version can be bought for around $10.00 - - - for about $40.00 you can get the stereo which are great for hunting as you can turn the amplification up and hear a deer walk thru the woods at about 100 yds. ( or listen to the kids whisper from the other end of the house )

Just make sure to turn them off after use or you will need another set of batteries. ( 2 AA for mono 4 AA for stereo )

The mono sets amplify as well but you can not tell where the sound is coming from.

Last time I was in Wal-Mart they had a set of Mono muffs with eye protection for $25.00 - - - if you are an occasional shooter these would work well for you.

I still have a few sets of "little Jewish peters " in the protective cases issued in the 1960s by USMC - - - I tried them a while back and while they did drop all noise the gun fire was still louder and the voices were very hard to hear.

If you shoot often you will love the stereo as it is much better to know where a voice is coming from. If taken care of they will last a long time - - - I have several sets loaned at the range on a regular basis and so far I have not had a pair go bad, and some of them have been left on over night ( dead batteries ) and dropped and still work.