Which gun is better for the night stand? - Page 18
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Which gun is better for the night stand?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 01:17 PM   #171
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdauben View Post
Actually, there is something to be said for a carbine like the AR15 in home defense. Many people find it easier to hit what they are aiming at with a rifle and an AR is much easier for most people to handle than a shot gun.

IMO of course the best use of any long gun in a SD situation is when you can "fort up" in a relatively secure location while waiting for the cavalry to arrive. Unfortunately this isn't always possible but IMO is the preferred tactic in a home invasion.

Sorry but using birdshot is a TERRIBLE suggestion for SD. Birdshot does not provide the penetration necessary to reliably stop an attacker even at close range. I've read of way too many people shrugging off birdshot to ever trust it for SD.
Regarding the birdshot, I have seen way more people get really PO'd about it than I have seen people taken out of the fight. I have also seen fatalities with it, but they were very close range, they involved a major vessel or two, and death or debilitation was not a fast as you would want in a confrontation.

Regarding your forting up suggestion, I agree with this tactic no matter what firearm you use. You know your house. You know your fields of fire. You control the lighting or absence of lighting. Fort up, call the police, and hope you never have to shoot someone. Whether they needed it or not it's a life changing experience that is best to avoid if you can. If you can't avoid it, do what you have to do to protect your life and the life of your loved ones. Your TV can be replaced, your loved ones can't.

Calling the police opens up another set of potential problems. I cannot emphasize this enough. Know your local laws regarding home invasion and self defense. Know what steps you have to go through to make it a good shoot. If you do call the police they will tell you to leave the line open. Since there will be a recording of the call you need to act within lawful guidelines. Know your local laws.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:04 AM   #172

Liked 34 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 10

With a selection of handguns and long arms from 22LR up to 7.62 and 12 gauge, the one that sits by my nightstand is a PS90 loaded with 50 rounds of lightweight, near frangible ammo and a light to target with. Nearby is a set of amplified ear protection, I can hear my cat walking on the carpet with them.

I have neighbors much too close, and a 9, .40, or .45 will exit my house and enter theirs too easily to risk.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:48 PM   #173

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thPointOfContact View Post
With a selection of handguns and long arms from 22LR up to 7.62 and 12 gauge, the one that sits by my nightstand is a PS90 loaded with 50 rounds of lightweight, near frangible ammo and a light to target with. Nearby is a set of amplified ear protection, I can hear my cat walking on the carpet with them.

I have neighbors much too close, and a 9, .40, or .45 will exit my house and enter theirs too easily to risk.
Confused--You shoot with those

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 04-28-2013, 12:52 PM   #174
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
Confused--You shoot with those
some of the newer electronic hearing protectors are amplified. they amplify low level sounds while reducing loud sharp sounds like gunfire. people like them for gun ranges. they can hear the RSO and others talking, but it blocks gunfire.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:56 PM   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
some of the newer electronic hearing protectors are amplified. they amplify low level sounds while reducing loud sharp sounds like gunfire. people like them for gun ranges. they can hear the RSO and others talking, but it blocks gunfire.
Thanks Axxe-
Learn sumthin new every day

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 04-28-2013, 12:59 PM   #176

Quote:
Thanks Axxe-
Learn sumthin new every day
you're welcome Hossfly.

they are still fairly new to shooting sports, in other words, still a bit pricey!
Old 04-28-2013, 01:12 PM   #177

Quote:
you're welcome Hossfly.

they are still fairly new to shooting sports, in other words, still a bit pricey!
Figures!
Course i still stick cotton balls in my ears (steal them from the wifes side of the bathroom for free

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 04-28-2013, 01:15 PM   #178

Quote:
Figures!
Course i still stick cotton balls in my ears (steal them from the wifes side of the bathroom for free
i hear ya. i'm a cheapskate too. been using the same two pair of muffs for over twenty years. buy some of those cheapy ear plugs on a string every so often that cost about $3.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:24 PM   #179

Quote:
i hear ya. i'm a cheapskate too. been using the same two pair of muffs for over twenty years. buy some of those cheapy ear plugs on a string every so often that cost about $3.
Used to "borrow" those from work
Seriously i bought 2 pair of pretty good muffs years back off ebay -- They work

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 04-28-2013, 01:30 PM   #180

Quote:
Used to "borrow" those from work
Seriously i bought 2 pair of pretty good muffs years back off ebay -- They work
mine too. if it ain't broke, don't fix it. i'll replace mine when or if they break, or i lose them. i have two pair of them. a spare set for the wife when she shoots with me, or if my father comes over to shoot with me.

usually i'll just use plug type for shooting rimfires though.