Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Which gun is better for the night stand?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2013, 04:08 PM   #161
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I've got night sights on all of my defensive guns. They work great work great when it is very dark, not so well when it's partially lit as some of you are suggesting you keep the majority of your house. And they are totally useless once you've fired the first shot and you're blinded by your own muzzle flash.

Another factor you seem to be forgetting - having the rest of the house partially illuminated with night lights or dimmed lights actually gives the intruder an advantage because then he can see everything he needs to. You no longer have the tactical advantage of knowing the floor plan or furniture arrangement because you've lit the house for him. He no longer needs a flashlight, and has a much lower risk of bumping into or tripping over something he didn't see and making noise in the process. And since he doesn't need a flashlight to see where he's going or to find your stuff, you will have to work harder, take more time and probably expose yourself more in your attempt to find him. So, he's able to be far more stealthy because of your lighting.

OTOH, if you'd left the house totally blacked out, then you would have retained the tactical advantage of "local knowledge".

As for the strobe giving your position away. Not necessarily. Unlike a steady light, the strobe only gives away the position of where you were, not where you are. Movement should be a critical part of your defensive tactics. Additionally, the strobe is better at dazzling the eyes and confusing the intruder.

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
Albert Einstein

Old 04-20-2013, 12:43 PM   #162

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Good points Oly, but I think everything always depends upon certain factors, so some things work for everyone and should be SOP and some things don't and can't be used in everyone's situation. As for myself, I have no lights or lasers on my 1911 just because I personally don't care for either. My house is totally dark except for a dim nightlight my wife keeps in the hall right outside our room so she can see at night to use the head. Tactically, it does give me an advantage since I'm in total darkness and an intruder would be backlighted so his silhouette is easily visible. If it were just me, I'd get rid of the nightlight but sometimes concessions must be made.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:27 AM   #163

nixfix - the question was 9 mm or .45 - not 556. In a small house a rifle is not really practical and a 556 is really a .22 cal round (I know, I know it's a bit different - used one in the Nam). If you hit the BG, the .45 is a stopper and not a traveler.

If you are really worried and want a very affective round: 20 g shotgun with birdshot - a close range killer (but, loud). But, like a rifle - is long.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:53 PM   #164

Liked 117 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 21

If you are wanting a short shotgun get a S&W Governor or a Taurus Judge - - - the Smith is 6 rounds versus the 5 round Judge.

410 shot shell and the major manufactures are now producing rounds just for the self defense use in them and the can fire 45 cal as well.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:58 PM   #165
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3858 Times on 2304 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

How about a super shorty 12 gauge. It will fit in a night stand or on your hip.

http://www.serbu.com/legacy/shorty.htm

super_shorty_870.jpg  

Old 04-21-2013, 06:00 PM   #166

Liked 279 Times on 243 Posts

I've shot both a 45 semiautomatic and 357 mag revolver without hearing protection. Both left me with nothing but ringing and in a stunned state for at least 2 minutes.

This experience leads me to think and believe that unless you practice like this and are accustomed to performance under these conditions you've only got one good/worthwhile chance at eliminating the threat. Shoot until the BG in front of you is down then pray any others flea in fear. Because you will lose your greatest sense and aid in a defensive situation, hearing. By the time you may see the next one you're already at a detrimental disadvantage.

But maybe adrenaline will carry you through. I won't lie, that stuff is amazing.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:35 PM   #167

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebush62
In a small house a rifle is not really practical
Actually, there is something to be said for a carbine like the AR15 in home defense. Many people find it easier to hit what they are aiming at with a rifle and an AR is much easier for most people to handle than a shot gun.

IMO of course the best use of any long gun in a SD situation is when you can "fort up" in a relatively secure location while waiting for the cavalry to arrive. Unfortunately this isn't always possible but IMO is the preferred tactic in a home invasion.

Quote:
If you are really worried and want a very affective round: 20 g shotgun with birdshot - a close range killer (but, loud). But, like a rifle - is long.
Sorry but using birdshot is a TERRIBLE suggestion for SD. Birdshot does not provide the penetration necessary to reliably stop an attacker even at close range. I've read of way too many people shrugging off birdshot to ever trust it for SD.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:19 AM   #168

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
I've shot both a 45 semiautomatic and 357 mag revolver without hearing protection. Both left me with nothing but ringing and in a stunned state for at least 2 minutes.

This experience leads me to think and believe that unless you practice like this and are accustomed to performance under these conditions you've only got one good/worthwhile chance at eliminating the threat. Shoot until the BG in front of you is down then pray any others flea in fear. Because you will lose your greatest sense and aid in a defensive situation, hearing. By the time you may see the next one you're already at a detrimental disadvantage.

But maybe adrenaline will carry you through. I won't lie, that stuff is amazing.
I've fired most of the common pistol calibers without hearing protection at one time or another, including indoors. Yeah, it's certainly loud, but one of the well-established facts about defensive shootings is "auditory exclusion" - you are so totally focused on the event that you never hear the noise.

As a result, while I'm certainly concerned about the hearing loss that results from shooting without hearing protection, I'm far more concerned about my ability to communicate with my wife during the situation than I am about any chance of the noise interfering with my ability to concentrate on the situation.

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
Albert Einstein

Old 04-23-2013, 09:32 AM   #169
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1763 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlympicFox View Post
I've fired most of the common pistol calibers without hearing protection at one time or another, including indoors. Yeah, it's certainly loud, but one of the well-established facts about defensive shootings is "auditory exclusion" - you are so totally focused on the event that you never hear the noise.

As a result, while I'm certainly concerned about the hearing loss that results from shooting without hearing protection, I'm far more concerned about my ability to communicate with my wife during the situation than I am about any chance of the noise interfering with my ability to concentrate on the situation.
Auditory perception can't change physics. You perception of the noise will change, but the effect on the ear does not. Keeping that in mind you should communicate with your wife now instead of later. Plan what you both should be doing and then plan it again. Try to see it from all angles. This also gives you the advantage of knowing what your wife should be doing so you can concentrate on what you need to do.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:43 AM   #170

Liked 64 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 327

Any gun is a good gun for the night stand as long as its reliable and will save your life....

Sig P220 Equinox, Sig P239, Sig P226 Navy (MK25)
Sig P238
Glock 19, Glock 20, Glock 26, Glock 36
Springfield XD 45ACP
S&W M&P 45ACP, S&W M&P Shield 9MM
Kimber Ultra Carry II
Kimber Sapphire Ultra Carry II
Kimber Stainless Pro Raptor II
Kel Tec PF9, Kel Tec P32
Ruger SR9, Ruger SR9C
Remington 887 Nitro Mag Tactical (12g)
Stag Arms AR15 556
Ruger SR556E