Which gun is better for the night stand? - Page 16
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

Which gun is better for the night stand?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 12:47 PM   #151
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 164 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402
I have seen a lot of posts suggesting lasers or lights attached to the various handgun choices. While I certainly understand why people are saying this, and to a point agree with them, there is another choice.

I use nightlights. A lot of nightlights, and none of them are located in my bedroom. I also use night sights on my bedside gun. My thinking is that my night vision will never be better than it is when I first wake up. I use night lights to provide back lighting for the intruder giving me a nice outline to aim for. Why did I pick this method over lights or lasers? Lights and lasers illuminate at both ends. I know my house, and the bad guys don't. I know my planned defensive position, and the bad guys don't. Why should I tell them where I am by adding a locator light?

I certainly won't argue the point about which works best. In my opinion the house design, whether or not pets are present, and your furniture layout play a big part in deciding which way to go. I'm just throwing out a possibility that fits my needs, and may fit yours.
Keep in mind that a good, high intensity tactical light with strobe will temporarily blind the intruder and give you the advantage.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:14 PM   #152

Liked 2182 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickster View Post
Keep in mind that a good, high intensity tactical light with strobe will temporarily blind the intruder and give you the advantage.
Makes a great target too
People Like This 
Old 04-19-2013, 12:10 PM   #153
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
You are correct, but you assume only one intruder. What happens if there is more than one? Your night vision is now gone, the second intruder knows where you are, but you have no clue where he is unless he is noisy.

As I said before, I know what should work in my house. I have no earthly idea what will work in yours. If the strobe works for you, go for it. Anything that gives us an advantage over them is a good thing.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:11 PM   #154

Is there a perfect scenario?

Old 04-19-2013, 12:27 PM   #155

Quote:
Is there a perfect scenario?
Sure---They one you win---
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 04-19-2013, 12:46 PM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY

I'd say, the one that never happens.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 04-19-2013, 12:59 PM   #157
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22310 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
Quote:
Rickster, your scenario is the one we pray for, Hossfly's scenario is the one we prepare for.

in the event of a break-in, i hope i never have to find out what firearms i would have to use to end a human life, but i have prepared what i think will give me an advantage over those wishing me harm if they do.
HOSSFLY Likes This 
Old 04-19-2013, 01:08 PM   #158

Quote:
Well---understand the thought but if it never happened how wud you know it was or was not "perfect"?

Old 04-19-2013, 01:25 PM   #159

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
I have seen a lot of posts suggesting lasers or lights attached to the various handgun choices. While I certainly understand why people are saying this, and to a point agree with them, there is another choice.

I use nightlights. A lot of nightlights, and none of them are located in my bedroom. I also use night sights on my bedside gun. My thinking is that my night vision will never be better than it is when I first wake up. I use night lights to provide back lighting for the intruder giving me a nice outline to aim for. Why did I pick this method over lights or lasers? Lights and lasers illuminate at both ends. I know my house, and the bad guys don't. I know my planned defensive position, and the bad guys don't. Why should I tell them where I am by adding a locator light?

I certainly won't argue the point about which works best. In my opinion the house design, whether or not pets are present, and your furniture layout play a big part in deciding which way to go. I'm just throwing out a possibility that fits my needs, and may fit yours.
I'm inclined to agree. I have dimmers on lights in the halls and over the kitchen sink, and those lights are on 24 hours a day. At night, there is no place outside the bedrooms that is completely dark. Like you, from my bedroom, I am in the dark looking into a lighted hallway.

An important item in a darkened room, in my opinion, is night sights on your gun. Looking from my dark bedroom into the hall, I can see anyone there, but without night sights, I can't see the sights on my gun. Trijicon 3-dot tritium sights make all the difference. They could also help to find the gun in the dark, although in my case, I reach my handgun by memory and feel...along with my cell phone. I've thought about a laser, but as someone else pointed out, that also discloses your position. Besides, Murphy's Law assures that the one time I needed the laser, the battery would fail!
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 04-19-2013, 01:51 PM   #160
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22310 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowserb View Post
I'm inclined to agree. I have dimmers on lights in the halls and over the kitchen sink, and those lights are on 24 hours a day. At night, there is no place outside the bedrooms that is completely dark. Like you, from my bedroom, I am in the dark looking into a lighted hallway.

An important item in a darkened room, in my opinion, is night sights on your gun. Looking from my dark bedroom into the hall, I can see anyone there, but without night sights, I can't see the sights on my gun. Trijicon 3-dot tritium sights make all the difference. They could also help to find the gun in the dark, although in my case, I reach my handgun by memory and feel...along with my cell phone. I've thought about a laser, but as someone else pointed out, that also discloses your position. Besides, Murphy's Law assures that the one time I needed the laser, the battery would fail!
i can agree with both these staements and is pretty much the same as i do in my home. dim lighting throughout the house. i feel with this method and the fact that several dogs will be making a ruckus, i have the tactical advantage.