Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Which gun is better for the night stand?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2013, 01:35 PM   #131
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Well Doc,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
Pelvic hit? Really? Unless you are on a battlefield against a humane enemy willing to treat their wounded I do not advise this for self defense. It does nothing that will disable the adversaries ability to shoot. If running is in your game plan a skeletal hit in the pelvic region should slow the bad guy down, and it will hinder his ability to escape, but physiologically it does nothing to hinder the use of his arms. Even a clean cut of the spinal cord in this area will probably not help. It will do nothing to stop him from shooting if he is determined to do so.

How do I know this? Experience. I have seen many people over the years shot in the pelvic girdle. One of them eventually died, and not a single one of them was unable to shoot upon our arrival if that is what they wanted to do. Regarding the one that died, for the first 20 minutes he was more than capable of using his arms, and had the awareness and motor skills needed to fire a handgun. This is in spite of the fact that his common Iliac artery was perforated, and both right internal and right external Iliac arteries were shredded by 12 gauge #6 shot. His COD was blood building up in his abdominal cavity until it had enough pressure to lock the diaphragm in place. Official COD? Respiratory arrest secondary to exsanguination caused by single GSW. I will never forget that kid or the lessons I learned from him. He's also the one that made me a firm believer in exit wounds.

As far as body armor goes, what coverage does he have? Does it stop at the waist or is their groin protection? Who knows, and who wants to waste time and ammo finding out? Remember, we're talking self defense. I don't know who comes up with these things, but I suspect it was something brought back from the battlefield that really doesn't apply to the civilian world.
thanks. That's one of the most helpful answers I've had on here. I guess COM is still the best choice, just like we were taught. Maybe if the guy has on good body armor and it's a situation like that theater shooting or something, then maybe the girdle shot if the COM shot has no effect. On TV they show it knocking the guy down and bruising his chest but they also show a guy fly 20 feet backwards when shot sometimes, too. Since I've never been shot wearing armor or shot anyone, ever, I'd be interested to know just how effective body armor is, and how the effectiveness changes between "soft" and "hard" body armor.

Old 04-14-2013, 01:51 PM   #132

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickster View Post
I've been considering a PT1911 as my next purchase. How happy are you with yours?
VERY, VERY happy! I've fired an STI and a Kimber but my PT-1911 was just as accurate (of course, those were .45s and mine is chambered in .38 Super, a round known for it's accuracy and low recoil) and I have never had a FTF (Feed or Fire). And I paid $515 NIB so I was definitely skeptical. Try one and I bet you'll love it! BTW, I'm not one of those people who will say they like something just because they bought it. I know some guys are like that for pride reasons but for me, if something turns out to be a POS, I'll tell people it's a POS. I did a LOT of research before I made my purchase (I'm kind of anal that way) and mostly what I read was positive feedback. I did read a post that said when you get a Taurus either you'll LOVE Taurus or HATE Taurus. That they are either great or you get a lemon. I don't know if that's true, but I love my PT-1911. Weird thing is, I load my own ammo. Lately I've had a hard time find the bullets for reloading and although I can't find .22LR ANYWHERE, I can still get .38 Super online for $18-22 per 50 with no problem!
Old 04-14-2013, 03:22 PM   #133

Liked 163 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconSpider

VERY, VERY happy! I've fired an STI and a Kimber but my PT-1911 was just as accurate (of course, those were .45s and mine is chambered in .38 Super, a round known for it's accuracy and low recoil) and I have never had a FTF (Feed or Fire). And I paid $515 NIB so I was definitely skeptical. Try one and I bet you'll love it! BTW, I'm not one of those people who will say they like something just because they bought it. I know some guys are like that for pride reasons but for me, if something turns out to be a POS, I'll tell people it's a POS. I did a LOT of research before I made my purchase (I'm kind of anal that way) and mostly what I read was positive feedback. I did read a post that said when you get a Taurus either you'll LOVE Taurus or HATE Taurus. That they are either great or you get a lemon. I don't know if that's true, but I love my PT-1911. Weird thing is, I load my own ammo. Lately I've had a hard time find the bullets for reloading and although I can't find .22LR ANYWHERE, I can still get .38 Super online for $18-22 per 50 with no problem!
I'm glad to hear your enjoying your PT 1911. My ccw is a PT740 slim and I love it. I've put all different type of ammo thru it and never had a problem. I don't go by name brand and as you, research before I buy. I don't like spending more money than I have to just to brag. Therefore, the PT1911 has move to the more than likely choice on my list. Thanks.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:59 PM   #134

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Oh blah blah blah superior this superior that.....there is nothing wrong with a Springfield or a Taurus. Every handgun has problems. Sure, if I had to choose one handgun to count my life on I'd choose a glock no matter what, but I own a taurus 709slim and an xd9 service model, nothing wrong with either. I love Sigs and HKs, but really? Over priced. Get real. That's like buying a Lincoln black wood over an F-150. Same exact thing but its fancy, has a bigger price tag and makes it into all the Hollywood movies.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:11 PM   #135

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

There ain't nothin wrong with shooters in the navy son. Just slow your roll and get that marine hoo-ra crap out of your head.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:21 PM   #136

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=TapRackBang;1213971]Oh blah blah blah superior this superior that.....there is nothing wrong with a Springfield or a Taurus. Every handgun has problems. Sure, if I had to choose one handgun to count my life on I'd choose a glock no matter what, but I own a taurus 709slim and an xd9 service model, nothing wrong with either. I love Sigs and HKs, but really? Over priced. Get real. That's like buying a Lincoln black wood over an F-150. Same exact thing but its fancy, has a bigger price tag and makes it into all the Hollywood movies.[/QUOTE

I have a Colt Defender and a Springfield Ultra Compact for protection. They are both excellent guns for that purpose. Its all what you've trained with and is reliable.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:29 PM   #137

Liked 2175 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by TapRackBang
There ain't nothin wrong with shooters in the navy son. Just slow your roll and get that marine hoo-ra crap out of your head.
WTF does that mean??

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 04-14-2013, 11:34 PM   #138
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19557 Times on 11100 Posts
Likes Given: 49220

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
WTF does that mean??
sounds like he doesn't like Marines!

Old 04-14-2013, 11:44 PM   #139

Liked 163 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 48

What happened to the original thread, "Which gun is better for the night stand? Things are about to get heavy around here.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:46 AM   #140

Liked 2175 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

sounds like he doesn't like Marines!
Mabe a shunned Marines bitch?

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

People Like This