Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Which gun is better for the night stand?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 08:26 PM   #101
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 841 Times on 486 Posts
Likes Given: 339

Standard 5.56MM 55 grain FMJ M193 ammunition is probably a better choice than a hot loaded 9MM or magnum buckshot rounds if you're really concerned about penetration.

At 3 AM, if someone breaks down your door, will your children be wandering around the house a lot?

Could you aim high (or perhaps low)? A kneeless ninja won't run very far or fast and probably won't be attacking too many people, Monty Python characters aside. You can be on all the drugs you want, if you don't have knees you aren't much of a threat. Just sayin.

It concerns me that I might shoot through someone or miss them altogether and punch a hole in a wall, but is there some reason why changing the angle you present your weapon to the target won't work? Perhaps let the criminal walk into an ambush in a confined space like a hallway with a shot taken into an unoccupied space? You already know the layout of your property, why not use it to your advantage?

If it were me, I think I'd worry a lot more about hitting the target than what might happen if I miss or the criminal is malnourished.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:42 AM   #102

Liked 279 Times on 243 Posts

Lol what is it about this thread that has caused such persistence? The OP asked for a simple answer to "this or that" and I'd say about 10 at the most answered correspondingly. These are the threads that should be shut down.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:37 PM   #103

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
Lol what is it about this thread that has caused such persistence? The OP asked for a simple answer to "this or that" and I'd say about 10 at the most answered correspondingly. These are the threads that should be shut down.
I consider myself one of those that responded directly to the OP's question. However, I fail to see what the problem is with a thread developing a life of its own as long as it's a healthy life.

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
Albert Einstein

Old 04-10-2013, 06:40 PM   #104
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1764 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
Yeah. I guess it doesn't make much sense for people to explain why they feel one way or another about someone's answer. Heck, we might actually learn something constructive that would influence the decision.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:44 PM   #105

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post
Standard 5.56MM 55 grain FMJ M193 ammunition is probably a better choice than a hot loaded 9MM or magnum buckshot rounds if you're really concerned about penetration.

At 3 AM, if someone breaks down your door, will your children be wandering around the house a lot?

Could you aim high (or perhaps low)? A kneeless ninja won't run very far or fast and probably won't be attacking too many people, Monty Python characters aside. You can be on all the drugs you want, if you don't have knees you aren't much of a threat. Just sayin.

It concerns me that I might shoot through someone or miss them altogether and punch a hole in a wall, but is there some reason why changing the angle you present your weapon to the target won't work? Perhaps let the criminal walk into an ambush in a confined space like a hallway with a shot taken into an unoccupied space? You already know the layout of your property, why not use it to your advantage?

If it were me, I think I'd worry a lot more about hitting the target than what might happen if I miss or the criminal is malnourished.
I've been through I don't know how many shooting courses, both LE and civilian defensive, and every one of them taught us to aim at the Center of Mass. The only good excuse that I'm aware of for aiming at an alternative target is that the center of mass is not available. For example, the COM is behind cover, behind a hostage, wearing body armor, etc. Trick shots are for Hollywood.

Your best assurance of hitting the target where you want to hit the target is through training and having the best equipment for the situation - such as an intuitive laser sight.

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
Albert Einstein

Old 04-10-2013, 07:25 PM   #106

One thing in favor of the 45 - bullets are big and SLOW: usually do NOT penetrate walls - this from a sheriff friend of mine. SO, who's in the next room?

Old 04-10-2013, 09:11 PM   #107

Liked 26 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebush62
One thing in favor of the 45 - bullets are big and SLOW: usually do NOT penetrate walls - this from a sheriff friend of mine. SO, who's in the next room?
This could not be anymore wrong. Your friend is gravely mistaken. A 55gr 556 out of an AR will stop way before a 45 ACP bullet. There are a couple of tests on YouTube, will try to find.

In that test, the 45 penetrates four walls and I believe ends up in the berm, while the tiny 556 breaks up after two walls.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:52 PM   #108
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 841 Times on 486 Posts
Likes Given: 339

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlympicFox View Post
I've been through I don't know how many shooting courses, both LE and civilian defensive, and every one of them taught us to aim at the Center of Mass. The only good excuse that I'm aware of for aiming at an alternative target is that the center of mass is not available. For example, the COM is behind cover, behind a hostage, wearing body armor, etc. Trick shots are for Hollywood.

Your best assurance of hitting the target where you want to hit the target is through training and having the best equipment for the situation - such as an intuitive laser sight.
You're absolutely correct, no "trick" shots. I was thinking about contact shots in "safe" directions. My home is 1500 square feet and is rather cramped inside. Maximum shoot distances are 10 yards or less because of the layout.

Although a secondary consideration, 556 will penetrate soft body armor without issue. The criminals who rob banks and stores here have been known to wear soft body armor.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:35 AM   #109

Liked 26 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixfix View Post
This could not be anymore wrong. Your friend is gravely mistaken. A 55gr 556 out of an AR will stop way before a 45 ACP bullet. There are a couple of tests on YouTube, will try to find.

In that test, the 45 penetrates four walls and I believe ends up in the berm, while the tiny 556 breaks up after two walls.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #110

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default In response to your post,

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlympicFox View Post

I was also always taught to aim Center Of Mass. But in the last class I took to get my Concealed Carry Permit, they stated that shooting at the cradle area on the body, i.e., hip to hip and groin area, that a shot there would immediately disable the threat as he/she would not be able to stand at all. I had never heard of this. Even in combat training in the Corps I was never taught this. I'm not challenging what you've said at all, Oly, just wondering if you or anyone else had ever heard of this tactic? I keep a 1911 in .38 Super +P bedside and a shotgun loaded with 00 buck above the door. I have no more kids at home, so that's no concern. When the grandkids come over, a trigger-lock goes on the shotgun and the 1911 is on my hip, as always during waking hours.