Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Which gun is better for the night stand?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 07:11 PM   #91
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3858 Times on 2304 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

I know a great gun for the night stand. A Sig Sauer P556 pistol chambered with 5.56mm NATO. End of thread

Old 04-08-2013, 08:29 PM   #92
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 837 Times on 484 Posts
Likes Given: 338

You're forgetting the AK pistols, Jager.

I'm sure some bright young lad out there has already thought up .50 BMG pistols, but I want to live in the house after I fire my pistol, not bring the great outdoors inside with me.

If the SAIGA-12 pistols and SBR's don't hose them down with enough lead to make them remember that other place that they urgently need to get to, surely setting them on fire is sufficient evidence for the thief in question to understand that he chose poorly.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:56 PM   #93

Liked 117 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 21

A pistol in a strong side bed-mounted holster such as the Crossbreed Bedside/Ohai

keeps the gun discretely hidden, yet instantly ready for action. The holster portion is attached to the bedside portion with Velcro so it can be positioned precisely for an easy & fast draw. Only one hand is needed to access the gun, and since anyone serious about accessing their gun quickly keeps a round in the chamber, it is ready to fire.

If keeping a round in the chamber is too scary for you, then a frame-mounted thumb safety (or a heavy DA trigger) should alleviate those fears. Similarly, if you're concerned that the bad guy might grab the gun and wrestle it from you, then you can opt for a gun with a mag safety so you can drop the mag and disable your gun.[/QUOTE]

Nice looking holster however with the grandkids I will still keep my night security in my no look safe - - - with practice it is readily available.

The bad guys will have a problem with the ½ mile drive, the alarm, then the German Shepherds, then the locked doors.

So if I am surprised you can rest assured it was an inside job!

Old 04-08-2013, 11:58 PM   #94

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Your absolutely right

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlympicFox View Post
So much of your argument is founded on the idea that you only have "nano seconds to arm yourself" yet you don't have a round in the chamber. So, with your technique you have to draw from a belly-band holster (one of the slowest holsters possible) and rack then slide before you are armed. By comparison, someone with a bed-mounted holster only has to draw from a holster that resembles a strong side belt holster.

Your is not only slower, it requires two hands to ready the pistol, AND since your own scenario included the bad guy standing right next to the bed, he can easily grab your gun while you are trying to rack the slide while laying on your back.

A pistol in a strong side bed-mounted holster such as the Crossbreed Bedside/Ohai

keeps the gun discretely hidden, yet instantly ready for action. The holster portion is attached to the bedside portion with Velcro so it can be positioned precisely for an easy & fast draw. Only one hand is needed to access the gun, and since anyone serious about accessing their gun quickly keeps a round in the chamber, it is ready to fire.

If keeping a round in the chamber is too scary for you, then a frame-mounted thumb safety (or a heavy DA trigger) should alleviate those fears. Similarly, if you're concerned that the bad guy might grab the gun and wrestle it from you, then you can opt for a gun with a mag safety so you can drop the mag and disable your gun.
I agree with you on that one. Many a night before hitting the rack I have asked myself about the situation having to rack the slide. I have had a holster for the bed but not as nice as the one you posted. I like your response as it tells me that I need to go back to the bed mount sidearm.
I'm glad you brought that up as its been on my mind for awhile now. I'm one of those type veterans who stay away from the public these days and avoid people unless I'm going to the range. I'm going to checkout the pistol mount you posted. Who makes the holster mount in the pic?

Last edited by GaryE; 04-09-2013 at 12:00 AM. Reason: need to ask a question

Old 04-09-2013, 12:10 AM   #95

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for the information. I check into this and purchase one.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:15 AM   #96
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19535 Times on 11088 Posts
Likes Given: 49179

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryE View Post
I agree with you on that one. Many a night before hitting the rack I have asked myself about the situation having to rack the slide. I have had a holster for the bed but not as nice as the one you posted. I like your response as it tells me that I need to go back to the bed mount sidearm.
I'm glad you brought that up as its been on my mind for awhile now. I'm one of those type veterans who stay away from the public these days and avoid people unless I'm going to the range. I'm going to checkout the pistol mount you posted. Who makes the holster mount in the pic?
GaryE, i made my own that is very similar in design and function. for many years i use to keep my pistol under the pillow. well a couple of years ago my current wife was making the bed and saw the pistol under there pointing in her direction. now my wife isn't scared of guns and has her own and is a proponent of our 2nd amendment rights and a now an NRA member. for many of my years i was single and had done this for years and never though about it from a safety standpoint. but she was concerned and after thining about it, it concerned me as well. so this is when i decided we needed a new way of keeping the pistol handy, but safe. i saw some of the bedside holsters and thought this would be perfect. well i made my own out of 3/8" plywood and mounted a holster to it. it works great. my pistol is never more that a foot away at all times and allows me to keep it chambered and locked and ready to go, safely.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:08 PM   #97

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'd like to see a picture of it if you could post that for me. Thanks! Gary

Old 04-09-2013, 05:13 PM   #98

Liked 64 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 327

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlinn View Post
I know it won't fit in the night stand,,,, but always been a fan of a shotgun for home defense. But choosing from your question I go with the 9 mm. I like the idea of having more rounds in a low light situation, bettering your chances of impacting the target....
I agree with you gunlinn. Gotta be careful on rounds going through walls and hitting your neighbors.

Sig P220 Equinox, Sig P239, Sig P226 Navy (MK25)
Sig P238
Glock 19, Glock 20, Glock 26, Glock 36
Springfield XD 45ACP
S&W M&P 45ACP, S&W M&P Shield 9MM
Kimber Ultra Carry II
Kimber Sapphire Ultra Carry II
Kimber Stainless Pro Raptor II
Kel Tec PF9, Kel Tec P32
Ruger SR9, Ruger SR9C
Remington 887 Nitro Mag Tactical (12g)
Stag Arms AR15 556
Ruger SR556E
SKS Chinese Norinco
Mosin Nagant 91/30 (2)
NRA Member

Old 04-09-2013, 06:23 PM   #99

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillersfan View Post
I agree with you gunlinn. Gotta be careful on rounds going through walls and hitting your neighbors.
Have you checked out any of the studies that compare the wall penetration of various ammo types. Buckshot is the traditional shotgun defensive load, and is tremendously effective on bad guys. But it goes through walls like gangbusters into the next room and beyond. Whether it will reach a neighbors house or not depends on distance. Even 7 1/2 bird shot goes through multiple walls without a problem.

Modern 9mm ammo, especially stuff like Cor-Bon DPX (one of my favorites) is designed to penetrate walls, windshields, cars, etc and still get job done. So I wouldn't consider 9mm as safe with regard to over-penetration. Even frangible ammo can go through sheet rock and do damage on the other side.

IMHO, there aren't any silver bullets that are guaranteed to not leave your house or property. Therefore, the onus is still on the shooter and that means (1) train enough so that you can hit what you're aiming at even under stress and while shooting very rapidly, and (2) have a light and/or laser on your home defense weapon.

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
Albert Einstein

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 04-09-2013, 06:45 PM   #100

Liked 163 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Phalanx CIWS and mounted on your foot board.