gun belt, does it matter? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > gun belt, does it matter?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 02:46 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
IMO, anything related to SD should be of the best quality you can afford.

I've to many run-ins with Murphy's law when trying to scrimp a few dollars.
^^^ This! ^^^

I tell my students this very thing, tho mostly related to holsters. While there's nothing wrong w/the nylon holsters out there, I always - and heartily! - recommend that they spend the extra money on a quality leather holster and not go cheap. Anything that is expected to possibly save your life shouldn't be bought because you want to save a couple of bucks.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:34 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffworks View Post
^^^ This! ^^^

I tell my students this very thing, tho mostly related to holsters. While there's nothing wrong w/the nylon holsters out there, I always - and heartily! - recommend that they spend the extra money on a quality leather holster and not go cheap. Anything that is expected to possibly save your life shouldn't be bought because you want to save a couple of bucks.
I second your opinion on nylon holsters. In my experience they tend to sag after a week or so. The next thing you know Officer Not-So-Friendly is talking to me about why my gun is printing so much. A cheap belt and nylon holsters both make it very difficult to keep a concealed weapon concealed for any extended period of time.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:46 PM   #13

Liked 780 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 499

No need to spend a fortune, google Amish belt. For about 40 bucks you can get a solid 2" leather belt with little or no "tell "

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 12-03-2012, 10:00 PM   #14

Liked 5009 Times on 2429 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Quality gun belts are important, particularly when carrying hefty handguns OWB.

Thin cheap belts will roll allowing the holster to cant out away from the body and print. This will force you to sinch that cheap belt tighter which greatly reduces comfort.

Spare yourself the agony of trial and error and buy a good quality double layer leather belt at least 1.5" tall. Personally, I prefer 1-3/4".

Outlets like Sportsmans Wharhouse carry nice looking quality belts for around $40.00.

Of course you could save yourself a boatload over the next few years by forgoing holsters and belts all together and picking up a $15 Belly Band.

Slinging it low around your hip allows you to place your gun anywhere you could put it with an IWB holster, it does not try to drag your pants down since it's not attached to your pants, and it does not leave you wondering where to balance your gun if nature calls for a class 2 download while out in public...

Simply tug the whole rig up your belly, take care of business, and readjust without any need to unholster your side arm.

After 17 years of EDC and a sack full of holster, I can tell you this is the most comfortable and concealable method of EDC available short of carrying a purse!

Good Luck

Tack

Old 12-03-2012, 10:10 PM   #15

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffworks
^^^ This! ^^^

I agree but get the nylon if you seriously can't afford something better.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:15 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 982 Times on 628 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Quality gun belts are important, particularly when carrying hefty handguns OWB.

Thin cheap belts will roll allowing the holster to cant out away from the body and print. This will force you to sinch that cheap belt tighter which greatly reduces comfort.

Spare yourself the agony of trial and error and buy a good quality double layer leather belt at least 1.5" tall. Personally, I prefer 1-3/4".

Outlets like Sportsmans Wharhouse carry nice looking quality belts for around $40.00.

Of course you could save yourself a boatload over the next few years by forgoing holsters and belts all together and picking up a $15 Belly Band.

Slinging it low around your hip allows you to place your gun anywhere you could put it with an IWB holster, it does not try to drag your pants down since it's not attached to your pants, and it does not leave you wondering where to balance your gun if nature calls for a class 2 download while out in public...

Simply tug the whole rig up your belly, take care of business, and readjust without any need to unholster your side arm.

After 17 years of EDC and a sack full of holster, I can tell you this is the most comfortable and concealable method of EDC available short of carrying a purse!

Good Luck

Tack
It's funny, just yesterday I Googled looking for a good holster, and lo and behold one of the top results was a thread where you recommended the belly band! It definitely looks like it would be better than a drawer full of holsters. Just curious as to if you could recommend a brand as the results on Amazon and eBay netted me so many different brands and styles. The only reason I ask is because some are probably junk, whereas others are probably quality, or are you still using the original from the other thread? It does sound like a much better system for when nature calls

PS sorry for getting off the original topic! As for that the Liver gun belt looks nice. American made of all American components. Something like 2,000 lbs tensile strength, and like 300 lbs at holes. Not cheap though $60-$70

Isaiah 53:5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

Last edited by BigB; 12-03-2012 at 10:25 PM.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:33 PM   #17

Liked 5009 Times on 2429 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB View Post
It's funny, just yesterday I Googled looking for a good holster, and lo and behold one of the top results was a thread where you recommended the belly band! It definitely looks like it would be better than a drawer full of holsters. Just curious as to if you could recommend a brand as the results on Amazon and eBay netted me so many different brands and styles. The only reason I ask is because some are probably junk, whereas others are probably quality, or are you still using the original from the other thread? It does sound like a much better system for when nature calls

PS sorry for getting off the original topic! As for that the Liver gun belt looks nice. American made of all American components. Something like 2,000 lbs tensile strength, and like 300 lbs at holes. Not cheap though $60-$70
I'm using the same one I ordered from Kahr 5 years ago. It has a mag pouch just forward of the gun pouch which I like a lot.

Keys to comfort on these is the height. Mine is 4" which is perfect. I also have a 6" band from the NRA store because I wanted something Beefier for my 4" 1911 but I find that it's not as comfortable because when positioned at the right height for carry...the bottom of the band rubs the top of my...Umm...Well...you know.

Also, having a mag pouch opposite the gun pouch puts the BU mag in the right spot to dig into my belly while seated because each is at 3 O'clock and 9 o'clock respectivle and I like my gun at about 5 o'clock.

Tack

Old 12-04-2012, 12:01 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 982 Times on 628 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post

I'm using the same one I ordered from Kahr 5 years ago. It has a mag pouch just forward of the gun pouch which I like a lot.

Keys to comfort on these is the height. Mine is 4" which is perfect. I also have a 6" band from the NRA store because I wanted something Beefier for my 4" 1911 but I find that it's not as comfortable because when positioned at the right height for carry...the bottom of the band rubs the top of my...Umm...Well...you know.

Also, having a mag pouch opposite the gun pouch puts the BU mag in the right spot to dig into my belly while seated because each is at 3 O'clock and 9 o'clock respectivle and I like my gun at about 5 o'clock.

Tack
Thanks for the info! Reading the entire other thread convinced me to give it a try. I've been looking at the uncle mikes, it has a nice soft coating for comfort, and breathable! Now if I could only find it in my size

Isaiah 53:5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:21 PM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

anyone had any experience with the 5.11 tactical tdu belt? i'd be carrying a very light gear (m&p 9 shield in a n82 holster). some suggested that a regular belt will do but just wanted to have something as an alternative.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:39 PM   #20

Liked 162 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 6

After reading this I went to the army/navy store after work last night an bought a blackhawk gun belt. It is vert nice and does make a difference. It was only $21 so I figured I couldn't go wrong.