gun belt, does it matter?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > gun belt, does it matter?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 07:14 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default gun belt, does it matter?

hi folks. i'd be getting my ccl in the mail any day now. i'm all set with my ccw and holster. i wonder though if i need to replace my cheapo leather belt with an actual gun belt, and if it even matter... if so, which one would you recommend, leather or nylon? i'll be carrying an m&p shield in a n82 holster. thanks for the inputs.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-30-2012, 07:23 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisms View Post
hi folks. i'd be getting my ccl in the mail any day now. i'm all set with my ccw and holster. i wonder though if i need to replace my cheapo leather belt with an actual gun belt, and if it even matter... if so, which one would you recommend, leather or nylon? i'll be carrying an m&p shield in a n82 holster. thanks for the inputs.
Yes, a gun belt does matter, but they matter more with heavier guns. A good quality belt found anywhere but the dollar store should work well with the Shield.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:45 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

thanks for the tip. at least i wouldn't have to spend anymore as i realized gun belts don't come cheap (at least the good ones).

Old 11-30-2012, 07:51 PM   #4

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
thanks for the tip. at least i wouldn't have to spend anymore as i realized gun belts don't come cheap (at least the good ones).
Never buy a belt thats advertised as "gun"belt----
The same belt without the "gun" is about half the price

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

John_Deer Likes This 
Old 11-30-2012, 07:55 PM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3110 Times on 1787 Posts
Likes Given: 1321

IMO, anything related to SD should be of the best quality you can afford.

I've to many run-ins with Murphy's law when trying to scrimp a few dollars.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 11-30-2012, 07:59 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2146 Times on 1473 Posts
Likes Given: 798

Hossfly nailed it. I use a craftsman tool belt for my western rig. A little saddle oil goes a long way. What is funny the exact same belt with a little saddle oil was at the gun shop for $80, same pattern, etc, minus the Craftsman logo. For a heavy gun you are going to conceal you need a leather belt that is 1 3/4" wide and at least 3/16" thick.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:50 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer
Hossfly nailed it. I use a craftsman tool belt for my western rig. A little saddle oil goes a long way. What is funny the exact same belt with a little saddle oil was at the gun shop for $80, same pattern, etc, minus the Craftsman logo. For a heavy gun you are going to conceal you need a leather belt that is 1 3/4" wide and at least 3/16" thick.
wow that is quite interesting. i suppose they figured they'd make a lot more when they market it as a gun belt.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:53 PM   #8

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
wow that is quite interesting. i suppose they figured they'd make a lot more when they market it as a gun belt.
Exactly
Like the Zombie stuff- Sum Gun guys are eatin up now what they wudn't touch before a Zombie sticker was stuck on it

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 11-30-2012, 08:55 PM   #9

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 58

I agree, a good belt makes all of the difference. You don't have to spend the money that I spent, because the shield is a lot lighter than what I carry. Here is a link to a thread I had just started today.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/great-every-day-carry-gun-belt-77411/

SGT U.S. Army Special Operations Command, Ft. Bragg, NC (2002-2006)
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran (2004)

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:37 PM   #10

Liked 162 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I got a cheap work belt at wal mart that I use to hang my guns on. You basically want something that you can hold by each end with the holster in the middle and not have it torque much. Stiff multiple layer belts are the best.