Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   gun belt, does it matter? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/gun-belt-does-matter-77430/)

Krisms 11-30-2012 06:14 PM

gun belt, does it matter?
 
hi folks. i'd be getting my ccl in the mail any day now. i'm all set with my ccw and holster. i wonder though if i need to replace my cheapo leather belt with an actual gun belt, and if it even matter... if so, which one would you recommend, leather or nylon? i'll be carrying an m&p shield in a n82 holster. thanks for the inputs.

Doc3402 11-30-2012 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krisms (Post 1033522)
hi folks. i'd be getting my ccl in the mail any day now. i'm all set with my ccw and holster. i wonder though if i need to replace my cheapo leather belt with an actual gun belt, and if it even matter... if so, which one would you recommend, leather or nylon? i'll be carrying an m&p shield in a n82 holster. thanks for the inputs.

Yes, a gun belt does matter, but they matter more with heavier guns. A good quality belt found anywhere but the dollar store should work well with the Shield.

Krisms 11-30-2012 06:45 PM

thanks for the tip. at least i wouldn't have to spend anymore as i realized gun belts don't come cheap (at least the good ones).

HOSSFLY 11-30-2012 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krisms (Post 1033568)
thanks for the tip. at least i wouldn't have to spend anymore as i realized gun belts don't come cheap (at least the good ones).

Never buy a belt thats advertised as "gun"belt----
The same belt without the "gun" is about half the price ;)

danf_fl 11-30-2012 06:55 PM

IMO, anything related to SD should be of the best quality you can afford.

I've to many run-ins with Murphy's law when trying to scrimp a few dollars.

John_Deer 11-30-2012 06:59 PM

Hossfly nailed it. I use a craftsman tool belt for my western rig. A little saddle oil goes a long way. What is funny the exact same belt with a little saddle oil was at the gun shop for $80, same pattern, etc, minus the Craftsman logo. For a heavy gun you are going to conceal you need a leather belt that is 1 3/4" wide and at least 3/16" thick.

Krisms 11-30-2012 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_Deer
Hossfly nailed it. I use a craftsman tool belt for my western rig. A little saddle oil goes a long way. What is funny the exact same belt with a little saddle oil was at the gun shop for $80, same pattern, etc, minus the Craftsman logo. For a heavy gun you are going to conceal you need a leather belt that is 1 3/4" wide and at least 3/16" thick.

wow that is quite interesting. i suppose they figured they'd make a lot more when they market it as a gun belt.

HOSSFLY 11-30-2012 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krisms (Post 1033649)
wow that is quite interesting. i suppose they figured they'd make a lot more when they market it as a gun belt.

Exactly :(
Like the Zombie stuff- Sum Gun guys are eatin up now what they wudn't touch before a Zombie sticker was stuck on it :p

truevil1313 11-30-2012 07:55 PM

I agree, a good belt makes all of the difference. You don't have to spend the money that I spent, because the shield is a lot lighter than what I carry. Here is a link to a thread I had just started today.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/great-every-day-carry-gun-belt-77411/

magnumman 11-30-2012 08:37 PM

I got a cheap work belt at wal mart that I use to hang my guns on. You basically want something that you can hold by each end with the holster in the middle and not have it torque much. Stiff multiple layer belts are the best.


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:52 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.