Greetings

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Greetings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2009, 07:03 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Greetings

Hey all. I'm new here, so you'll have to forgive me if this post is in the wrong place. The point of this post is that soon I'll be aquiring my concealed carry permit. Which pistol(s) and how much spare ammo I'll carry hasn't been decided yet, as it will take some time for me to learn what is comfortable for me.

That, however, is not really the point.

This is mainly a question of WHAT I should carry for ammo. Specificaly, .357 mag., .45acp, 9mm para, and .44 spl. I have been thinking along the lines of Gold Dot or Extreme Shock, but I'm curious as to what the more balisticaly-savvy of you may think.

Any advice would be helpful and much appreciated. I would even consider fmjs if someone could make a convincing argument.

P.S.
I know that allot of people really don't like shoulder holsters (I've heard the argument about excessive sweeping during the draw, so I don't really need to hear it again) but humor me. If anyone has any suggestions for a shoulder holster for a S&W K Frame with a 4 inch barrel, I'm listening.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-21-2009, 07:24 PM   #2

I've been exceedingly happy with Remington's Golden Sabers. I keep them loaded in my Commander .45 and in my Taurus .357 (Model 65, 4in barrel). They're by no means the cheapest round out there, but then again I'm not using these to shoot empty cans in the back yard either. I've owned two different Glocks in .40 S&W and kept both loaded with Gold Dots, they performed very well also. I don't think you'd go wrong with either brand.

http://www.joshuasilverman.com

Old 08-21-2009, 07:30 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Welcome, glad to have you here! I would stay away from the "fancy" ammo like extreme shock and the like. Stick with a good hollow point, the gold dots you mentioned are good as are golden sabers, hydra shocks, HSTs, Rangers all good ammo. Pick up a box of some you'd like to try and see how the different ones perform in your gun. Personally, I carry HSTs in my 45 because I like the round and my gun shoots them well but I wouldn't feel under powered by going to any of the ones mentioned above.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 08-21-2009, 07:30 PM   #4

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Krazy, right place but when you get the chance, go over to the Introductions forum and tell the membership a little about yourself.

Ammo for me is Speer Lawman 230 grain or Gold Dot JHP.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 08-22-2009, 03:57 AM   #5

Thanks guys. I posted basically the same message on the other forum and in the same time that the three of you replied, I only had one person (a "guru" or "master" or some other silly accout title) give a condescending reply including a lecture on how I should be carrying a .32 or .380 pocket gun instead of a full-size. So far, I prefer this forum.

Old 08-22-2009, 04:14 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Welcome to the FTF community.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-23-2009, 06:29 AM   #7
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazykelley View Post
Hey all. I'm new here, so you'll have to forgive me if this post is in the wrong place. The point of this post is that soon I'll be aquiring my concealed carry permit. Which pistol(s) and how much spare ammo I'll carry hasn't been decided yet, as it will take some time for me to learn what is comfortable for me.

That, however, is not really the point.

This is mainly a question of WHAT I should carry for ammo. Specificaly, .357 mag., .45acp, 9mm para, and .44 spl. I have been thinking along the lines of Gold Dot or Extreme Shock, but I'm curious as to what the more balisticaly-savvy of you may think.

Any advice would be helpful and much appreciated. I would even consider fmjs if someone could make a convincing argument.

P.S.
I know that allot of people really don't like shoulder holsters (I've heard the argument about excessive sweeping during the draw, so I don't really need to hear it again) but humor me. If anyone has any suggestions for a shoulder holster for a S&W K Frame with a 4 inch barrel, I'm listening.
Look at HighNoon holsters and get belt tie downs to prevent Sweeping. I like hydrashock for PD rounds

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.