A Great Day for Iowa
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > A Great Day for Iowa

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2010, 05:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 6 Posts

Default A Great Day for Iowa

Tomorrow Iowa Concealed Carry Law changes.
www,iowacarry.org

Iowa becomes a "SHALL" issue state, no longer will it be up to the local sheriff(and his personal beliefs) to "give" you a permit.

Semper Fi

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-31-2010, 06:13 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Excellent news! Happy New Year.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-31-2010, 07:19 PM   #3
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1361 Times on 691 Posts
Likes Given: 1015

Good news. I was starting to worry about Iowa.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:15 PM   #4

To be fair, the sheriff in my county has been VERY supportive of the 2nd Amendment, BUT the is a sheriff in a neighboring county that REFUSED to issue a CCW for any reason. Glad that the "ball" is in OUR court now!!!!

Old 12-31-2010, 09:30 PM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

So what states will they reciprocate with?

Old 12-31-2010, 10:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
I don't remember all of them but, Mo.,Ar.,Ok.,and Tx. are on the list, but NOT Ks.(I travel to Tx. quite a bit.

Old 01-01-2011, 05:47 AM   #7

Liked 1102 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
I know Ohio reciprocates Iowa, so thats one for you.

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 01-01-2011, 07:45 PM   #8

Great! Keep us posted with how it goes for you getting yours. We might move back to Iowa this year and it's nice to know I'll be able to carry if we do. Hats off to former Gov. Culver for signing the law!

Old 01-01-2011, 08:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger44 View Post
Great! Keep us posted with how it goes for you getting yours. We might move back to Iowa this year and it's nice to know I'll be able to carry if we do. Hats off to former Gov. Culver for signing the law!
I already have my CCW. The problem was some sheriff's would not issue a permit for ANY reason. Now they SHALL issue unless the applicant is disqualified by law.
I saw a sheriff from another county on the news last night state that anyone could get a permit WITHOUT ever firing a handgun!!!!!!!! That is NONSENSE and as sheriff he should know that. ANY new applicant MUST go through a NRA or ILEA (Iowa Law Enforcement Association) certified course to get their permit. If you already have your permit there are three different ways to renew your permit:
1- you can go through the NRA/ILEA course.
2- you can just do the shooting portion with a NRA/ILEA instructor.
3- you can let your permit lapse, and your sheriff will use your old certification to issue you a new permit.
I don't understand the 3rd option, but that's the way the new law reads.

Semper Fi

Old 01-01-2011, 08:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCjtm View Post
I already have my CCW. The problem was some sheriff's would not issue a permit for ANY reason. Now they SHALL issue unless the applicant is disqualified by law.
I saw a sheriff from another county on the news last night state that anyone could get a permit WITHOUT ever firing a handgun!!!!!!!! That is NONSENSE and as sheriff he should know that. ANY new applicant MUST go through a NRA or ILEA (Iowa Law Enforcement Association) certified course to get their permit. If you already have your permit there are three different ways to renew your permit:
1- you can go through the NRA/ILEA course.
2- you can just do the shooting portion with a NRA/ILEA instructor.
3- you can let your permit lapse, and your sheriff will use your old certification to issue you a new permit.
I don't understand the 3rd option, but that's the way the new law reads.

Semper Fi
Well, things went well for you getting yours already. I lived in Dubuque County and didn't even attempt to apply there. Here in Pa there is no problem - both me and the wife are LTCF (License to Carry Firearms) holders. I liked Vermont's law though when I lived there - if you were a citizen, you could carry.