Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Got my ticket

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2011, 11:53 AM   #21
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ScottA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Davenport,IA
Posts: 6,613
Liked 1992 Times on 1080 Posts
Likes Given: 716

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider View Post
No background check? I'd be worried about who can get a permit there if there is no thorough background check.

Forgive me if that point was addressed in the thread, I did not read every post.
There was a background check. It doesn't take very long to punch a name and SSN in the FBI database. That was the 15 min part.
__________________

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA
ScottA is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:19 PM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lincoln,Nebraska
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
There was a background check. It doesn't take very long to punch a name and SSN in the FBI database. That was the 15 min part.
That's amazing. I personally took my app and proof of CCW class and birth certifiate, picture ID and the fee to the Nebraska State Patrol office, got fingerprinted right there, and have been waiting since 4 April for my permit to arrive.
__________________
Spider is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:32 PM   #23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Jesse17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,471
Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider View Post
That's amazing. I personally took my app and proof of CCW class and birth certificate, picture ID and the fee to the Nebraska State Patrol office, got fingerprinted right there, and have been waiting since 4 April for my permit to arrive.
I believe the background check is the same as buying a gun, just a phone call.

The long waiting periods IMHO just equates to bureaucrats saying "If the law says we have 60 day, then we'll make them wait 55 days." as a sort of unspoken waiting period.

They can sure as heck get a drivers license printed up in no time, no reason they can't do that with a CCW permit.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmszbi View Post
"Be polite to everyone you meet but have a plan to kill them".
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000
Jesse17 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:33 PM   #24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lincoln,Nebraska
Posts: 25
Default

Yeah. I mailed off the app, etc for the Utah permit on the same day. Still waiting.

__________________
Spider is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 03:34 PM   #25
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ScottA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Davenport,IA
Posts: 6,613
Liked 1992 Times on 1080 Posts
Likes Given: 716

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse17 View Post
I believe the background check is the same as buying a gun, just a phone call.

The long waiting periods IMHO just equates to bureaucrats saying "If the law says we have 60 day, then we'll make them wait 55 days." as a sort of unspoken waiting period.

They can sure as heck get a drivers license printed up in no time, no reason they can't do that with a CCW permit.
There have been stories from other counties in the state that will string it out to the last day allowed by the law. Thankfully, Scott County has not had that problem. I think there are still a few sheriffs in the state who are PO'd at having their discretion taken away by the new law.
__________________

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA
ScottA is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 03:49 PM   #26
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Flint,Michigan
Posts: 346
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

I applied over 10 years ago here in michigan they make you work for your cpl. First you have to find a parking space then you have to go to the county clerk's office and do there paper work they give you a fingerprint card tell you to go over to the Sheriff's which is about a city block over. then you go back give them your pass port photo or they will take some for 15 dollars so about after 20 to 30 mins of wating around you have about 2 to 3 month wait. It is the same for you when you renew except the wating period is not as long.

__________________
FaTmAn is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 04:05 PM   #27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lincoln,Nebraska
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
There have been stories from other counties in the state that will string it out to the last day allowed by the law.
That whole thing reminds me of the "saturday night special" anti-gun logic going on in California years ago. The waiting period from point of purchase to actually picking up the gun was debated for a long time, ad infinitum. I think they settled on three days after considering 30 days, etc.
__________________
Spider is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 04:48 PM   #28
Civil Disobedience-wherever there is authority, there is a natural inclination to disobedience. Oppression breeds Rebellion
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Cinderocka1989's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Laradise
Posts: 5,686
Liked 2876 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 122

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider View Post
Yeah. I mailed off the app, etc for the Utah permit on the same day. Still waiting.
It took like 3 months for Utah to get me mine keep waiting....
__________________

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Cinderocka1989 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:14 PM   #29
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lincoln,Nebraska
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989 View Post
It took like 3 months for Utah to get me mine keep waiting....
Wow. Thanks for the info; now I'll stop thinking, "any day now."

During our ccw class it was mentioned that Utah is slow. The instructor even had photos of each stage of the procedure, including one of a great big file shelf (bookcase-like) full of folders and papers. Apparently Utah is one of he most popular permits to acquire.
__________________
Spider is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:07 PM   #30
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Jesse17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,471
Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider View Post
That whole thing reminds me of the "saturday night special" anti-gun logic going on in California years ago. The waiting period from point of purchase to actually picking up the gun was debated for a long time, ad infinitum. I think they settled on three days after considering 30 days, etc.
I believe the waiting period for purchasing a gun in Commifornia is 5 days for a long gun and 15 days for a handgun.

But I could be wrong, the only gun I've purchased in Mexifornia was a C&R cash and carry. That's probably not legal there now either.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmszbi View Post
"Be polite to everyone you meet but have a plan to kill them".
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000
Jesse17 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Sarge's Parking ticket sarge_257 The Club House 6 04-23-2011 10:44 AM
Speeding ticket cpttango30 The Club House 5 02-02-2010 12:29 AM
Palin-FTF Member Ticket Benning Boy The Club House 11 09-05-2009 05:52 AM