Got my CHP. Need advice. - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

Got my CHP. Need advice.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 01:13 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 217 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 305

I carry a full size xd 9 everyday, summer or winter. I have a regular hip holster and it stays concealed most days very well. I also Carry a naa 22 mini revolver in my pocket everyday. If for some reason I can't carry a full size weapon where I'm going it stays locked in my jeep and the 22 goes with me. I'm a higher guy 6'6" 220lbs so concealing a xd isn't much of an issue with the bigger shirts. The important thing is having something you can shoot well. I can't shoot smaller framed handguns well bc of my hands being so huge. I did shoot a tiger lc9 (?) Last night and enjoyed it. May be gettin one of those soon.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:29 PM   #12

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwardo23
I got my permit in the mail today, and my Crossbreed Super tuck should be here soon. Unfortunately, the only handgun I have is my Glock 17. I love it, don't get me wrong, very reliable, but I feel like it will be difficult for me to conceal because I'm kind of skinny. 6 foot 170lbs. Being that its winter time I should be alright. But I'm wondering what you guys do in the warmer months. Any advice would be appreciated.
Since you are sticking with the g17. Look into appendix style holsters (holster in the front part of the pants). They work best on skinny guys since big guys like me have what some may call a weight problem (have to use the Chris Farley voice) an so my stomach sticks out so much it is not practical.

Read some reviews on them first but I have read a lot of people (that are able too) have gone to that style of carry. There are tons of holsters out there and finding the right one may take some time.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:48 PM   #13

Liked 1960 Times on 1032 Posts
Likes Given: 4288

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBear View Post
Since you are sticking with the g17. Look into appendix style holsters (holster in the front part of the pants). They work best on skinny guys since big guys like me have what some may call a weight problem (have to use the Chris Farley voice) an so my stomach sticks out so much it is not practical.

Read some reviews on them first but I have read a lot of people (that are able too) have gone to that style of carry. There are tons of holsters out there and finding the right one may take some time.

QFT...Also be prepared to have a whole drawer full of 'tried and failed' holsters...comes with the territory.

Since it's winter, think about a shoulder rig...just a suggestion...

Old 01-10-2013, 11:41 PM   #14

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent

QFT...Also be prepared to have a whole drawer full of 'tried and failed' holsters...comes with the territory.

Since it's winter, think about a shoulder rig...just a suggestion...
QFT? I'm not familiar with that abbreviation.

I lucked out and dont have a drawer of failures.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:24 AM   #15
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3472 Times on 1989 Posts
Likes Given: 1523

TexasBear, we have a place for the acronyms that may be used:
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/firearmstalk-acronyms-34806/

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-11-2013, 12:58 AM   #16

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl
TexasBear, we have a place for the acronyms that may be used:
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/firearmstalk-acronyms-34806/
Thanks. I have been trying to figure all of these out.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:32 AM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks texasbear and Vincent. I have thought about a shoulder holster for winter time. And although I feel my discipline is up to par with handling my glock, I'm not sure I'm comfortable having it pointing down the front of my pants.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:37 AM   #18
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I have the same issues that you do. I'm 6'2 170. My first trial was with a Glock 30. It's ok during the winter, but almost impossible during the summer. For the last year I carried the KelTec P-3AT .380 in an ankle holster as I rarely wear shorts. Most recently, I bought the Sig P938 as I wanted a larger caliber and it's small enough to conceal with just a t-shirt during the summer and no print. Now, I haven't tried these, and I have no idea how they work, but there is a company that makes a pair of pants for conceal carry, I think it was called the CCW breakaway. I read about it a while back, and it supposedly allows you to carry fullsize in your pocket. Again, I've never tried it nor even seen it in person, and I don't really care for look of the method myself. I sold one of my 1911's to fund the purchase of the Sig. And as stated, be ready to buy and toss several holsters in the drawer. Or resell them, I think I tried like 5 before I found one I liked for my Glock. (It was a FOBUS)

While puttering around looking at some online "deals," I ran into this: http://strykrtacticalgear.com/strykr_limitedsale1.html It's a pair of cargo pants that have a conceal holster for up to 5" 1911's in the cargo pocket. The price is a little steep at $99 but it's an option

Last edited by GeneralPatton; 01-11-2013 at 02:21 AM.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:07 AM   #19

Liked 263 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 373

When I carry my glock 20 I carry appendix carry @ 12:30. And it doesn't print at all.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:45 AM   #20

Liked 57 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0zt36
When I carry my glock 20 I carry appendix carry @ 12:30. And it doesn't print at all.
Same here,, course having a fat belly that easily pushes farther out than my full size 40 can print helps a lot......
I knew being fat would pay off someday, , although I figured it would be a food shortage first, I probably can last for a month easy on reserves,,, lol