Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Got my CHP. Need advice. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/got-my-chp-need-advice-80856/)

mwardo23 01-10-2013 03:07 AM

Got my CHP. Need advice.

I got my permit in the mail today, and my Crossbreed Super tuck should be here soon. Unfortunately, the only handgun I have is my Glock 17. I love it, don't get me wrong, very reliable, but I feel like it will be difficult for me to conceal because I'm kind of skinny. 6 foot 170lbs. Being that its winter time I should be alright. But I'm wondering what you guys do in the warmer months. Any advice would be appreciated.

JonM 01-10-2013 04:15 AM

Well in wisconsin we got oc and ccw so printing or showing is a nonissue most times. I tend to carry owb and will have a 1911/xdm/m9a1. At all times i also carry a ruger lcp in a pocket holster.

fupuk 01-10-2013 06:42 AM

I have been carrying my Glock 17 for almost a year and I have no complaints about it. Its light, ive shoot thousands of rounds through it so I know where to aim and never had any problems with it. If your like me I dont like real small frame firearms. And I dont want to carry a firearm that im not comfortable with. Its gonna be a trail and error type of thing. Somethings may work well for you but not for me. Try the Glock and see how it goes, you may fall in love with carrying a full size you may not.

NM-LEO 01-10-2013 07:04 AM

The G17 is a GREAT weapon, but for CC EDC, you might find that's its full size frame us a slight but too large.

Try looking at the Glock 19 ( assuming you like the 9mm factor).

I own both. My first LE job required me to own a 9mm so I bought a Gen3 G17. I loved it, it was fun and cheap to shoot. I don't get into the "caliber contest"; modern day SD ammo produces AWESOME results with 9mm, and yes, I own 9mm, .38, .38 Super, .40, .45, 10mm, .44, .357 Sig, .357 Mag, and even a .50.

I bought my Gen4 G19 because I enjoyed shooting 9mm so much and it made an EXCELLENT CC EDC.

fupuk 01-10-2013 08:11 AM

[QUOTE="NM-LEO;1087645"]The G17 is a GREAT weapon, but for CC EDC, you might find that's its full size frame us a slight but too large.

Try looking at the Glock 19 ( assuming you like the 9mm factor).

I own both. My first LE job required me to own a 9mm so I bought a Gen3 G17. I loved it, it was fun and cheap to shoot. I don't get into the "caliber contest"; modern day SD ammo produces AWESOME results with 9mm, and yes, I own 9mm, .38, .38 Super, .40, .45, 10mm, .44, .357 Sig, .357 Mag, and even a .50.

I bought my Gen4 G19 because I enjoyed shooting 9mm so much

fupuk 01-10-2013 08:13 AM

Sorry my phone went crazy.

And that may work for him. My wife carrys a jframe everywhere she goes and she likes it because its small and she is pretty accurate up to 15-20 yards and thats great that she carries and its light weight so its not gonna stop her from carrying it. I personally bought my handguns for range weapons and got use to shooting full size and thats what I carry. I got into handguns purely for something I enjoyed doing and somwthing me and my wife both like doing together. I know I will be looking at a smaller frame for a special occasion when I cant conseal a large frame gun. Rent as many guns as you can and shoot them all. You may be suprised what you like and what fits your hands. Everbody ive talked to says a glock dosent fit in their hands. I like the way my glock feels and dont have a problem with the grip. But a glock 19 is a great choice for a carry weapon and you might go out and buy one tomorrow and never look back. Just carry something your comfortable with and can shoot well. 18 misses with you glock 17 is nothing if you can make one shot with a glock 19. Keep us informed..

mwardo23 01-10-2013 10:24 AM

Thanks. But buying a g19 is not an option for me right now. I also have no interest is open carry. Any other tips?

danf_fl 01-10-2013 10:42 AM

Just as one should have more than one pair of shoes, so goes the concealed weapon.

There are times the G17 is not the appropriate CW.
There are times the crossdraw holster is not appropriate.
There are times the shoulder rig is not appropriate.

Your task is to decide what is appropriate for you. Trying to hide that Glock 17 can be challenging if you are wearing Speedos.

mwardo23 01-10-2013 10:49 AM

Haha. I also have no interest in wearing speedos. I know I'm going to need some bigger shirts, and hopefully I'll be able to afford a more concealable handgun before the summer comes. But until then the g17 is all I got

Donn 01-10-2013 12:16 PM

I carry either a J Frame or M&P Shield in a pocket holster during the summer. Into either a front or cargo pocket.