Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Got called paranoid today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2011, 06:01 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Got called paranoid today!

So the wife's little sister and her boyfriend were at the house when I got home today. I'm taking my car tomorrow so I grabbed the AR from behind the pick-up seat. I got to thinking that I hadn't run an oil patch thru the bore in months and took it into the house with me.

I had just put my AR, main carry and back-up weapons on the table in my den when Mike, my probable future brother-in-law, came into the room. Now this guy has a CCW too and carries a SA 1911 Govt also. Thats why it surprised me when the first words out of his mouth were, "get'in kinda paranoid ain't ya pops".

I really hadn't thought about it, most of the people I know carry a loaded rifle or shotgun behind their truck seat or in the trunk of their car. Mike doesn't and thought I was sort of over doing it. My CCW covers loaded long arms, exposed or concealed, it don't matter.

I don't think I'm paranoid - handguns are great, but I do get the warm fuzzies knowing I can lay my hands on 200 rds of 5.56 and a rifle in a hurry if needed.

So what ya think! Am I a sick puppy, (only about this topic please) or just well prepared. Anyone else use a rifle as part of their CCW weapons? Ken

"The older I get, The better I was"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-27-2011, 06:09 AM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you. Sorry, just couldn't resist.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:11 AM   #3

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You don't do it

paranoid-300x300.jpg  

Old 05-27-2011, 06:18 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Hmm. On the one hand, paranoid. On the other, possibly dead. I'll take paranoid for the win.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 05-27-2011, 06:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Hmm. On the one hand, paranoid. On the other, possibly dead. I'll take paranoid for the win.
VERY good point! Thanks, I'm feeling better already.

"The older I get, The better I was"

Old 05-27-2011, 06:44 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

"Condition White - Unaware and unprepared. If attacked in Condition White, the only thing that may save you is the inadequacy or ineptitude of your attacker. When confronted by something nasty, your reaction will probably be "Oh my God! This can't be happening to me."

"Condition Yellow - Relaxed alert. No specific threat situation. Your mindset is that "today could be the day I may have to defend myself". You are simply aware that the world is a potentially unfriendly place and that you are prepared to defend yourself, if necessary. You use your eyes and ears, and realize that "I may have to shoot today". You don't have to be armed in this state, but if you are armed you should be in Condition Yellow"

Old 05-27-2011, 07:10 AM   #7

Liked 2348 Times on 1050 Posts
Likes Given: 2257

Of course we have the old standby: "Better to have and not need than to need and not have."

Old 05-27-2011, 08:38 AM   #8
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2756 Times on 1597 Posts
Likes Given: 1203

Different scenarios call for different firearms.

No paranoid, but (like a Boy Scount) prepared.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 05-27-2011, 11:08 AM   #9

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Different scenarios call for different firearms.

No paranoid, but (like a Boy Scount) prepared.
Bingo! You have to asses your personal conditions and situations you will likely encounter then make decisions on what is an appropriate level of response.

But in the end over-prepared is just fine...

Old 05-27-2011, 11:41 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8609 Times on 3731 Posts
Likes Given: 1323

Heard the story about the old boy that was pulled over for a license check? Trooper asked "Do you have any firearms?" "Yep, there's a Colt 45 in the glove box, and a 12 g pump and a 30-06 behind the seat of the truck." "Dang! What are you afraid of?" "Not a damned thing."

My daughter once told a friend "My dad is not paranoid. He has no REASON to be paranoid. He has a gun."

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt