Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Got called paranoid today! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/got-called-paranoid-today-43075/)

kenhesr 05-27-2011 07:01 AM

Got called paranoid today!

So the wife's little sister and her boyfriend were at the house when I got home today. I'm taking my car tomorrow so I grabbed the AR from behind the pick-up seat. I got to thinking that I hadn't run an oil patch thru the bore in months and took it into the house with me.

I had just put my AR, main carry and back-up weapons on the table in my den when Mike, my probable future brother-in-law, came into the room. Now this guy has a CCW too and carries a SA 1911 Govt also. Thats why it surprised me when the first words out of his mouth were, "get'in kinda paranoid ain't ya pops".

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...weapons014.jpg

I really hadn't thought about it, most of the people I know carry a loaded rifle or shotgun behind their truck seat or in the trunk of their car. Mike doesn't and thought I was sort of over doing it. My CCW covers loaded long arms, exposed or concealed, it don't matter.

I don't think I'm paranoid - handguns are great, but I do get the warm fuzzies knowing I can lay my hands on 200 rds of 5.56 and a rifle in a hurry if needed. :)

So what ya think! Am I a sick puppy, (only about this topic please) or just well prepared. Anyone else use a rifle as part of their CCW weapons? Ken

freefall 05-27-2011 07:09 AM

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you. ;) Sorry, just couldn't resist.

lonyaeger 05-27-2011 07:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
You don't do it

CA357 05-27-2011 07:18 AM

Hmm. On the one hand, paranoid. On the other, possibly dead. I'll take paranoid for the win.

kenhesr 05-27-2011 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA357 (Post 512737)
Hmm. On the one hand, paranoid. On the other, possibly dead. I'll take paranoid for the win.

VERY good point! Thanks, I'm feeling better already. :D

BlindOldMan 05-27-2011 07:44 AM

"Condition White - Unaware and unprepared. If attacked in Condition White, the only thing that may save you is the inadequacy or ineptitude of your attacker. When confronted by something nasty, your reaction will probably be "Oh my God! This can't be happening to me."

"Condition Yellow - Relaxed alert. No specific threat situation. Your mindset is that "today could be the day I may have to defend myself". You are simply aware that the world is a potentially unfriendly place and that you are prepared to defend yourself, if necessary. You use your eyes and ears, and realize that "I may have to shoot today". You don't have to be armed in this state, but if you are armed you should be in Condition Yellow"

:)

rjd3282 05-27-2011 08:10 AM

Of course we have the old standby: "Better to have and not need than to need and not have." ;)

danf_fl 05-27-2011 09:38 AM

Different scenarios call for different firearms.

No paranoid, but (like a Boy Scount) prepared.

Wambli 05-27-2011 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 512760)
Different scenarios call for different firearms.

No paranoid, but (like a Boy Scount) prepared.

Bingo! You have to asses your personal conditions and situations you will likely encounter then make decisions on what is an appropriate level of response.

But in the end over-prepared is just fine...

c3shooter 05-27-2011 12:41 PM

Heard the story about the old boy that was pulled over for a license check? Trooper asked "Do you have any firearms?" "Yep, there's a Colt 45 in the glove box, and a 12 g pump and a 30-06 behind the seat of the truck." "Dang! What are you afraid of?" "Not a damned thing."

My daughter once told a friend "My dad is not paranoid. He has no REASON to be paranoid. He has a gun."