Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Good resource for traveling with a firearm? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/good-resource-traveling-firearm-53954/)

sparky80 12-22-2011 12:50 AM

Good resource for traveling with a firearm?

HI guys I am traveling from the northeast to Florida and will be there for about a week. Me CCW is not valid in Florida but, I am either taking a pistol or shotgun to our rental house for HD purposes. Is there a good book or website that I can look at to figure out how to legally transport the firearm and ammunition. Thanks in advance.

HOSSFLY 12-22-2011 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparky80 (Post 657290)
HI guys I am traveling from the northeast to Florida and will be there for about a week. Me CCW is not valid in Florida but, I am either taking a pistol or shotgun to our rental house for HD purposes. Is there a good book or website that I can look at to figure out how to legally transport the firearm and ammunition. Thanks in advance.

Think you need to check each states laws you'll be going thru - They vary :confused:
Not to be a smartass but check each states laws dont ask in general :rolleyes:

vincent 12-22-2011 01:52 AM

Start here...I'll see if I can dig up the right link, I have nothing better to do...seriously :D There's a whole book on the subject, not sure if it's available as a PDF

My personal advice...DON'T GET PULLED OVER!!!

NRA-ILA ::

http://www.cjrpc.com/interstate_1.htm

I just skimmed the 2nd one, looks okay, best to get the same facts from different sources to see what lines up with what

partdeux 12-22-2011 01:53 AM

Make sure you especially understand NY laws.

c3shooter 12-22-2011 02:08 AM

Commonly called the Peaceable Jouney Act, it is US Code Title 18, Section 926A. This is a Federal law that prempts State law. However, stay clear of New York- they are operating contrary to Federal law. Here is what the law says:

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or
regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any
person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from
transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to
transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he
may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place
where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during
such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the
firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible
or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such
transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle
without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the
firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container
other than the glove compartment or console.

Bottom line- if moving between two locations where legal to possess, unload it, lock it in the trunk, and it is legal. Do not take it where possession is not allowed.

sparky80 12-22-2011 09:42 AM

Wow thanks for the replies. What a PITA I can't believe how antigun some of the states we are traveling through are. May have to leave the gun at home. not worth risking jail and or fines. Guess some of these states have'nt heard of the second.:rolleyes:

WilliamTF 12-22-2011 09:26 PM

Here's a story for y'all on this subject. I've lived in VA my entire life, well soon be moving to PA as my father inlaw owns a couple properties up there and one on 40acres is vacant. Anyway this is far northern PA about 10mn south of Binghamton NY and we typicaly enter NY and double back into PA. Last June we were heading up their for my sister inlaws graduation party. My wife and I are ccw holders and love to shoot/hunt, and I had the formentioned 40ac to shoot on up their. So I called the NY state police in Broome county NY and explained my story and ask what I needed to do to my pistols( break them down, render inoperable,case them, seperate from ammo?) to legaly pass through the state of NY? His answer left me upset,confused and angry he said: there is NOTHING you can do if I catch you I will arrest you and you'll be the fourth person so far this year. WTF happened to the 2nd ammendment in some states? I know that's his job and I have quite a few friends who are leo's , but I would hope in that situation unless your percievd to be a threat that most leo's would have enough sense and consience to not be an unfair hypocrit and overlook that senseless law.

Jpyle 12-22-2011 09:40 PM

NRA website lists a book of gun laws for all 50 states. C3 has it right, transporting is covered under Federal Law but problems will arise once you stop traveling beyond a reasonable time. Steer clear of NJ, some poor bastage was arrested for illegal posession of a firearm when his flight was delayed and he tried to claim his luggage and his properly cased and declared firearm.