Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Is it good or bad? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/good-bad-32104/)

WHOSNEXT 09-22-2010 11:54 PM

Is it good or bad?

New to the forum and just wanted to share a quick blurb. I filled out a one page form with personal info etc. with three personal references, drove to the local PD and handed the officer who buzzed me in the form, and exactly seven days later my ccw permit was hand delivered to me in my driveway by an officer after I signed the permit and gave him a ten dollar bill. I was shocked at how easy it was for me to aquire a ccw permit. I have plenty of time on a range and have been around firearms for 30 years so no doubt I could have completed any course or passed any test quite easily, but that is all that is required to get a ccw in NH. Is that a good or bad thing?

p.s. NONE of my personal references were checked!!!

Dillinger 09-22-2010 11:59 PM

They probably ran your record, presumably found you clear as fresh snow, and rubber stamped it. I would say that is a good thing. No harassment, no intimidating your personal references and you are good to go.

I consider that a Win/Win.

JD

CourtJester 09-23-2010 12:02 AM

That's not too far from what it was when I lived in Indiana 5 or so years ago. I had to take an all day class last weekend now that I live in Iowa. Ugh.

General_lee 09-23-2010 12:39 AM

Sounds like a good thing to me. In my opinion, to make it more difficult to get your ccw would be "infringing" on your right to keep and bear arms, and we all know infringing is a no no.
It's fairly easy to get them here in GA too.
I went to my county probate office, paid $40, filled out some papers, then went to the sheriffs office to get my paw prints taken. About 3 weeks later my permit came in the mail.

Jpyle 09-23-2010 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WHOSNEXT (Post 355720)
New to the forum and just wanted to share a quick blurb. I filled out a one page form with personal info etc. with three personal references, drove to the local PD and handed the officer who buzzed me in the form, and exactly seven days later my ccw permit was hand delivered to me in my driveway by an officer after I signed the permit and gave him a ten dollar bill. I was shocked at how easy it was for me to aquire a ccw permit. I have plenty of time on a range and have been around firearms for 30 years so no doubt I could have completed any course or passed any test quite easily, but that is all that is required to get a ccw in NH. Is that a good or bad thing?

p.s. NONE of my personal references were checked!!!

If you believe that you have a Constitutionally protected right to keep and bear arms it's a good thing. :) If you are an anti-gun, 2A infringing weenie then it's a bad thing. :(

Law abiding citizens should not have to jump through state mandated hoops to exercise their rights. That being said I live in New Jersey and am jealous as all h*ll.

P.S. That's a rhetorical you, not you personally. :)

NGIB 09-23-2010 08:58 AM

As General_lee said, GA is pretty easy as well. FYI, GA does run a check with the FBI as well as in state with the GBI so if you have any mud on your record - they will find it. Not having a training requirement costs us reciprocity with some states, notably our neighbor SC - which is a PITA as I spend much time there...

TheOldMan 09-23-2010 02:03 PM

I'm still trying tho wrap my head around the fact that they "hand" delivered your CCW to ya like that... LOL.. Gratz to ya.

ElvisIsDead 09-27-2010 09:01 PM

More than likely they just ran your name and saw you have been a good person all your life and they passed it through. I own property in New Hampshire and my daughter lives there with her husband and children. NH in general is a very Pro-Gun, Pro-2nd amendment state. You probably had a good record and clean, honest look. Sad but true personal appearance can hold a lot of weight in judgement decisions made by a Police Officer. I'm sure if you had and criminal record or showed up at the Police Station with your gold teeth, sideways ball cap, hoodie and pants hanging 2/3 the way down your back side you might not have received your permit so quickly.

jbd 09-27-2010 09:12 PM

Very good that is the way it should be. People with clean records shouldn't have to bang their heads against a wall to get it done.

FreedomFighter69 09-27-2010 10:22 PM

I wish it was that easy here in PA. Over here you have to wait 6 to 8 weeks before you get your permit camera card, then you have to sign another form, and get your picture taken. Our CCWP looks just like our drivers license only bigger!