Good .22 for concealed carry? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Good .22 for concealed carry?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2011, 09:37 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesr-01 View Post
The walther p-22 is a great gun to carry. I have never had the issues all the reviews show... the key is just take good care of it and use quality ammo. The best ammo I found for it is the CCI BLazer 22. It will also put a ton of holes right where you want them, very quickly. I love it.
FYI.. I've went through a brick or two of the Blazer CCI and not one failure of any kind...

Old 04-12-2011, 09:57 PM   #22

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

As I said over a year ago when this thread was fresh, a .22 isn't very effective as a defensive gun. It's better than a knife or a stick - but not by much. Not sure why you chose a .22 as your carry, I hope it serves you well if you ever need it...

Old 04-12-2011, 11:20 PM   #23

I agree with the used .38 suggestion but if you insist on a reliable .22 for a defense gun then this is your guy. these guns are every bit as well made as a high end smith & Wesson for under $300. I have an even smaller version in .22 mag that will be going surf fishing and kayaking with me when I get my concealed carry.

North American Arms

Old 04-17-2011, 09:40 PM   #24

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

If you insist on a .22 for self defense, I recommend a high capacity revolver. Because of the rimmed cartridge, a .22 auto is much more likely to jam than a revolver. And since the .22 is not a very good defense round, the more rounds available, the better your chances of stopping an attacker. An 8 or 9 shot revolver would be significantly better than a 5 or 6 shot.

I have a S&W Model 317. It is an 8 shot and is extremely lightweight. It is made in a snub nose and a 3 inch barrel. Mine is the 3 inch. The 3 inch has adjustable sights. Also the longer sight radius makes it easier to shoot accurately.

(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Old 04-18-2011, 04:49 PM   #25

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

.22lr has supposedly killed more people than any other round, BUT, did it stop them in 1-5shots?

I would think that they were shot and ran away, then died later as a result. Maybe, unless it was a head shot........and even then.

I just wouldn't bank on a .22 for self defense. If I have to use deadly force I want it to be just that. I'll carry the round I believe will do the job as soon as possible. I don't want the goblin shooting back at me while I wait for him to bleed out. my 2 cents

Old 04-21-2011, 10:43 AM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default 22 cal conceled carry

Been thru four marriges and 3 wars ( or police actions or conflicts or whatever), been shot at and hit and crapped at and hit also. Been blown up and cut, beat up and kicked so I think I've been around the racetrack a couple of times. Carry what you shoot the best, anything between the horns is a definate fight stopper. Myself I carry an old Walther PP in 22 cal which I can put 10 rounds on a playing card at 10 feet in a very short time, if that's not a fight stopper then I'll just run. Purely my opinion. The old firstsoldier.

Old 04-21-2011, 02:20 PM   #27

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Hey 1st Sgt, thanks for sharing your background experiences and your point on carrying what you feel comfortable with, along with having a good and practical follow up plan, if the situation suddenly goes SNAFU.

Could you stop by INTRODUCTIONS and give us an informal "Howdy Do" so the rest of the members can welcome ya to the forum, but it's your choice. Also, THANKS for your service top.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 04-21-2011, 06:58 PM   #28
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2102 Times on 1152 Posts
Likes Given: 629

The Charter Arms line up of revolvers are often overlooked. They are reasonably priced and made in the USA. Usually under $350. An Off Duty in 38spl weighs in at 12 ounces. Other models and calibers are available and have a lifetime warranty.
Welcome to Charter Arms
This is an old thread but it is currently active so I threw in some info that was not previously covered in case some one else is looking for a carry revolver.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:50 PM   #29

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Unknown.......May I suggest a basic firearms class? With proper instruction you can learn a lot and not develop bad habits that are difficult to break later on. Check with local ranges and gun stores for classes and cost.

Welcome to the gun world. We have all been where you are.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 04-22-2011, 07:53 AM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default concealed carry .22

Now don't get me wrong but when I said a Walther PP .22, I didn't mean a P22 which is a plastic gun, maybe a good gun but I don't like plastic guns. When I find a good one I will probably carry a Walther PP in either .380 or 7.65 (.32 ACP) as soon as I can shoot it as good as the .22. While I'm on the subject (plastic guns) I don't like the ARs either. When I had to get the job done I preferred an AK or an SVD, when in indian country sound like and indian. I'll leave you with this thought "If you can't laugh at yourself, DON'T YOU DARE LAUGH AT ANYONE ELSE." As always the old firstsoldier.