Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Good .22 for concealed carry?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2009, 02:25 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown View Post
I would carry everywhere allowed by law. Im not sure, What do range fees usually run? And it is around 4-500.00
Where are you?

Here, indoor range fees run about $10 per hour. With say $450 to spend, especially if you consider used, there are a lot of good options available for you. The best advice you'll get is to find a range that rents various guns and try them out. What works for me, or anybody else, may not work for you...

Old 10-14-2009, 02:53 PM   #12

Awesome, I am in Florida, i will defiantly give that a try

Old 10-14-2009, 09:03 PM   #13

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Unknown, I have my Kimbers, Rugers, Colts etc. but Taurus makes a very good gun. I have three of them a .44 spl, a .44 mag and a .38 spl. and they are perfect. My carry gun is a Kimber Ultra Compact II .45 ACP.

Old 10-15-2009, 02:04 AM   #14
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Where are you?

Here, indoor range fees run about $10 per hour. With say $450 to spend, especially if you consider used, there are a lot of good options available for you. The best advice you'll get is to find a range that rents various guns and try them out. What works for me, or anybody else, may not work for you...
Good advice from NGIB
Express to the folks at the range your expereince and expected use. In most cases they will fit you with the right firearm for you (expecting you to be a repeat customer). Also considering your new to firearms and want to carry, look into training from the range. A firearm is only as good as the person using it.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:55 AM   #15

thanks for the advice, i have another question. what acp mean? and whats the difference between .38 and .38+p

Old 10-15-2009, 12:02 PM   #16

Liked 1413 Times on 807 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
thanks for the advice, i have another question. what acp mean?
ACP = Automatic Colt Pistol

Quote:
and whats the difference between .38 and .38+p
About $0.25 per round!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 10-15-2009, 01:59 PM   #17

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Besides the cost per round, .38 +P ammo is loaded to higher pressures and is higher "performance" - and it can't be used in a lot of older guns. Think of it as a point between .38 Special and .357 Magnum...

Old 10-15-2009, 05:29 PM   #18

Checked into the local range (which just opened up at the beginning of the month) its 15.00/day. probably head up there next week and check it out.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:52 PM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
thanks for the help, whats wrong with taurus or rossi?
They appear to be a crapshoot on quality. I have a Taurus Millennium Pro PT140 that I've had for about five years with absolutely no problems. Based on that, my son bought a PT145 a year ago. His Taurus had problems out of the box and is now on its fourth trip to Taurus in an attempt to get a decently repaired firearm. Customer service has been rude, haphazard, and downright lied on several occasions. So it appears that if you get a good Taurus, then you have a nice handgun but if you get a bad one good luck getting the issues resolved.

Given that experience, I'd say its better, especially for a first time gun buyer, to stay away from that brand altogether. There are plenty of decent affordable small handguns that at least offer good customer service if it's needed.

Also, don't overlook the surplus military guns. Makarovs and PA63 pistols in 9x18mm have a reputation as being accurate and reliable as well as inexpensive. The caliber is sort of a .380ACP magnum and, at least at the moment, more readily available than .380ACP ammo. They are essentially copies of the Walther PP and so are quite compact and easy to carry.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:36 PM   #20

Quote:
Hi, Im looking for a good .22 handgun for concealed carry. something reliable that wont fail when i need it most. I have read things about the Walther p22 and the sig mosquito it doesn't seem like there are to many fans of those guns around here. any other suggestions? Thanks
The walther p-22 is a great gun to carry. I have never had the issues all the reviews show... the key is just take good care of it and use quality ammo. The best ammo I found for it is the CCI BLazer 22. It will also put a ton of holes right where you want them, very quickly. I love it.