Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Glock 19 ccw and home defense (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/glock-19-ccw-home-defense-56292/)

KLonger02 01-25-2012 03:43 PM

Glock 19 ccw and home defense

Hi everyone.
I am currently awaiting to pick up my ccp this week been waiting about 2 months now CT is really slow and I was wondering how the g19 fairs as a first handgun and how it would perform as a ccw. I hve not yet been able to pick one up but will be doing so this weekend when I get my permit bit it's either the g19 or smith and Wesson m&p 9c. Input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

silverado113 01-25-2012 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KLonger02 (Post 688913)
Hi everyone.
I am currently awaiting to pick up my ccp this week been waiting about 2 months now CT is really slow and I was wondering how the g19 fairs as a first handgun and how it would perform as a ccw. I hve not yet been able to pick one up but will be doing so this weekend when I get my permit bit it's either the g19 or smith and Wesson m&p 9c. Input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Personally I like the S&W M&P9C as that is my EDC. Besides the fact that S&W is made in the USA it's a great shooter, reliable, and feels better in the hand IMO. It's different for everyone, but I don't think you would go wrong with either one.

Firearms4ever 01-25-2012 03:57 PM

The Glock 19 is a great firearm in my opinion, but for a first handgun I do not recommend a Glock usually. The reason is the Glocks have a safe action mechanism that revolves around the trigger. The trigger saftey, drop saftey, and firing pin saftey all get disengaged when the trigger is pulled, and there's no external saftey. So a new shooter, and even well trained shooters could accidentally discharge the firearm very easily, because there's no external saftey like a thumb or grip saftey.

That aside I recommend you compare the two side by side and go from there. It also would behoove you to go to a local range, if you have one, and see if they have a rental program, and have either or both to rent.

Regarding carrying either one, the Glock 19 is going to be a little harder generally to carry without printing, because for some people, including myself, it is a full size firearm, and it also is larger than the M&P9c.

KLonger02 01-25-2012 04:25 PM

Thanks guys. And another thing is I'm going to be entering the police academy in April and the department I'm going to carries the m&p's so the 9c would probably be a good off duty choice makin me more familiar with that line of weapon. No?

Firearms4ever 01-25-2012 05:13 PM

That's a good idea in my opinion. Something I always urge/recommend is that if you're going to carry stick to one system as much as you can. I carry the Ruger SR9c and the Springfield Mil-Spec 1911a1, because they're similar in the fashion they're carried. When they're carried they both have their thumb safties engaged and are cocked in locked, with a round in the chamber. They might be different in caliber and size, but they both are similar to each other regarding how they're carried.

silverado113 01-25-2012 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KLonger02 (Post 688948)
Thanks guys. And another thing is I'm going to be entering the police academy in April and the department I'm going to carries the m&p's so the 9c would probably be a good off duty choice makin me more familiar with that line of weapon. No?

Yep

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firearms4ever (Post 688977)
That's a good idea in my opinion. Something I always urge/recommend is that if you're going to carry stick to one system as much as you can. I carry the Ruger SR9c and the Springfield Mil-Spec 1911a1, because they're similar in the fashion they're carried. When they're carried they both have their thumb safties engaged and are cocked in locked, with a round in the chamber. They might be different in caliber and size, but they both are similar to each other regarding how they're carried.

I agree. I have had a lot of shooting time from my time in the military and recreational and I'm a big fan of thumb safeties, I guess because I have always had them. Becareful on the M&P though as some don't have T/S. I would also recommend the night sights on them! I picked up my M&P at Buds for $500 with a t/s, n/s, and an extra mag. BTW I think S&W still has the $50 rebate for LE and Military.

PSYCHOFREAK3 01-25-2012 08:17 PM

I purchased a Gen 3 Glock 19 as "my" first pistol. I respect Firearms4ever's opinion about no external safety however in my specific case I am glad I had what I had. All it did was further push the importance of the 4 rules knowing that if there is a round in the chamber there is nothing else besides myself in preventing a ND. I believe that this assisted me in my safe gun handling ability. However, that being said, accidents do and will happen from time to time. So train, practice, whatever, and be careful.

locnload 01-26-2012 03:15 AM

The G19 is a great pistol for CCW, and so is the M&P. I own both but prefer to carry the G19 most often as it was my first serious carry gun. I would agree that the M&P has great ergonomics and in light of the info about your PD issuing the M&P it would probably be wise to go that route. But still, when you have the chance to build up your inventory, "get yourself a Glock". :)

rugerjazzkohai 01-26-2012 03:32 AM

My wife and brother both carry a g19 and love it. Combined thy shot about 30k rounds in last 2 years.

KLonger02 01-26-2012 05:35 AM

Thanks for the input guys. I just picked up my permit today and will be getting out to the store hopefully next weekend depending on my work schedule. Definitely will be testing out both. I am fortunate where I live smith and Wesson headquarters is only an hour from me an I've been able to go shoot there once but I shot a full size m&p so I haven't been able to shoot a glock yet. So if anyone gets the chance a trip up to there range an store in Springfield mass is definitely worth it. Don't need a permit to shoot there.