Getting ready for CCW
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Getting ready for CCW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2014, 12:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Getting ready for CCW

Given the way things are going these days in our society, I feel it is time for me to start carrying. IWB or OWB will not be an option for me as I feel I would probably just end up leaving it at home or in the truck. So, I will be looking at a Pocket Grabber type holster and either a .380 or sub 9mm. I'm interested to know what others are using for pocket carry.

Thank you,

Last edited by boringoldfart; 03-30-2014 at 03:42 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-30-2014, 02:52 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You can not go wrong with one of there
http://www.desantisholster.com/store/SEARCH-BY-GUN-MANUFACTURER/TAURUS/738-TCP-380cal/POCKET-HOLSTERS/Super-Fly

Old 03-30-2014, 03:40 PM   #3

Thanks Ray

Old 03-30-2014, 09:12 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

I don't currently pocket carry so please take this with a grain of salt.

The Ruger LCP is a very popular choice. I have a small amount of trigger time on the one my mother-in-law owns, and I didn't like it. Snappy because it's so light, hard to cycle the slide (maybe hers just wasn't broken in very well), and just generally not a pleasant shooter. However its size lends itself very well to pocket carry. I have been tempted despite not having a pleasant shooting experience.

Another popular choice is the Kahr. I shot one of their subcompact 9mm's and it hurt the webbing of my hand between the thumb and forefinger, after less than 50 rounds. However, I personally greatly prefer the Kahr over the LCP. The trigger was nicer and the slide was easier to manipulate.

There are many options that fill this niche nowadays. Ruger LCP, LC380, LC9, S&W Bodyguard, Taurus makes some, the Kahrs, Sig P238, P938, Colt Mustang, even Glock has the model 42 now.

I suggest going to a couple gun stores and holding as many as you can. When you find a couple that feel "right" in your hand, see if you can rent them to shoot.

My choice would probably be the Sig P938, because I prefer 9mm over .380 and really like the feel of that gun. A little expensive though. Or maybe a Kahr in 9mm, because the Sig has a thumb safety that I'm not keen on.

Oh another one is the S&W M&P Shield in 9mm. I wish that gun didn't have a thumb safety. I might already own one despite the fact that its a little bigger.

Always have clean socks.

Last edited by JW357; 03-30-2014 at 09:14 PM.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:39 PM   #5

Thanks JW357 I'm leaning towards something small enough for comfortable pocket carry. I already have a pr of nice 9mm to take to the range and my CC will be for self defense only. With that said, I am not closed to a sub-compact 9 if it is small enough to pocket.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:48 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by boringoldfart View Post
Thanks JW357 I'm leaning towards something small enough for comfortable pocket carry. I already have a pr of nice 9mm to take to the range and my CC will be for self defense only. With that said, I am not closed to a sub-compact 9 if it is small enough to pocket.
Here's an excellent chart that might help you narrow down the choices:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B22wLsy YEkTOMDU4MjJlNTktOTRlZi00NTJkLWE0MGMtZmEwNGFlMWE3Z Dlm&hl=en_US

Always have clean socks.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:55 PM   #7

Liked 302 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Why is pocket carry the only option you are considering? (just curious)

I hate the trigger and shooting an LCP, but a guy at work had replaced the trigger and some other part, which made the trigger MUCH better. And he added a Hogue slip on grip, made the gun feel a lot better.

With summer coming I am also looking at a smaller gun for occasional pocket carry.

@JW a few mins with a dremel tool and a dab of black paint and the safety on the Shield is no longer a problem.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:00 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_G View Post
@JW a few mins with a dremel tool and a dab of black paint and the safety on the Shield is no longer a problem.

I would worry about voiding the warranty though.

Always have clean socks.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:19 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

A Glock 26 in a Galco King Tut is awfully comfortable. People seem to really like the Baby Glock. With a small Pearce grip extension it's got a good feel to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 03-30-2014, 11:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_G View Post
Why is pocket carry the only option you are considering? (just curious)

I hate the trigger and shooting an LCP, but a guy at work had replaced the trigger and some other part, which made the trigger MUCH better. And he added a Hogue slip on grip, made the gun feel a lot better.

With summer coming I am also looking at a smaller gun for occasional pocket carry.

I know myself and I am just too lazy to fool with IWB or OWB. No offence to those who carry that way.