Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Getting my CCW, What to use revolver/autoloader???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2010, 01:48 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Thanks for All the Input! And Oledog, I've though about the reprecussions, The Fact that I'm going Into the Marine Corp should answer your question on my mental Point of view. Oklahoma Ruger, The reason I posted the thread was to get input, not an answer, I've got enough of a mind to know when a gun doesn't 'fit'.

Again, thanks for your two cents! keep it coming!

"The Tree of Liberty must be watered from time to time with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants."
Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-22-2010, 05:39 PM   #12

Liked 156 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 43

One of both would be good.A snub .38 for daily carry and a Glock g17 with 2 mags if going into a dangerous area.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:46 PM   #13

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oledog View Post
The posts above make good points...but since you have time, first consider the most important question. Are you willing to kill if necessary? I have heard many people with 'carry permits' and pistols on their persons or in their purses say they refuse to kill. They actually hope to scare their assailants by pulling their weapon, of firing it at their feet, or maybe give the bad guy a "Hollywood style" arm/leg wound--but NO MORE! In those cases assailants will take the gun and use it on the owner. I've looked down both ends of a gun, and nobody really knows what they will do until the time comes. But since you have lots of time spend some time pondering this. Then if you get a carry permit, buy what you can hit the target with quickly, repeatedly using one hand & either hand. Good luck!
You came here with the sole intent of posting THAT? Since Tango hasn't checked in yet, let me be presumptuous and ask you which Effing Douche you are? Massengil, or a home-made concoction with a vinegar base? SUX2BU.

Now, on to the kweschink at hand.... Running out of ammo sucks. Flipping switches takes time. Handguns which can be fired using only a pencil are inherently dangerous (Axe Plaxico Burress). I'd rather be shot at with a .45 8 times than with a 9MM 17 times. If I AM shot at, I hope that someone else is doing it (Axe Plaxico Burress). Get a Springfield XD or XDM, whichever size feels comfortable to you.
Max props for your decision to become a Devil Dog (And I NEVER use that term lightly, having hung with Uncle Sam's Misguided Children for decades) I have shot more comfortable andguns, more powerful handguns, and more concealable handguns, but have never found one which meets my personal requirements of capacity, ease of operation, and most importantly, safety. Throw in reliability, simplicity of maintenance, and accuracy, and you have to go with an XD.

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Last edited by gorknoids; 02-23-2010 at 10:58 PM.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:54 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghillie-Monster View Post
...Oklahoma Ruger, The reason I posted the thread was to get input, not an answer, I've got enough of a mind to know when a gun doesn't 'fit'.

Again, thanks for your two cents! keep it coming!
My apologies...

Old 08-22-2010, 08:10 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Get what works for you. My 2 cents is to get a good semi-auto that you are comfortable shooting and a snub nose revolver for your back up. Sine you do not have your permit I would suggest carrying them around in the comfort of your own home to see what works best for you. Go to a range that rents different types of handguns and shoot as many as you can till you find the right one.1911, Sig, XD, what, do some hands on research and you will find something.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:33 PM   #16
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2757 Times on 1597 Posts
Likes Given: 1205

Some people will limit themselves to only one carry piece. I have several choices that I use. Different circumstances require different answers.
Awareness and preparedness are key.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 08-22-2010, 08:40 PM   #17
Jay

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts

First off ... greetings....
Second, Marine Corps has an "S" on the end..

This is strictly my opinion, and has worked in many years of firearms training, and for men and ladies alike.

Buy a handgun just like you would buy a pair of shoes. If Ol' Joe over here says he likes Charlie China tennis shoes, and you're looking for a new pair of shoes, do you run out and buy Joe's pick, just because HE likes 'em? Probably not. If a new shooter is asking what to buy for a carry gun, it doesn't matter what works for me, or you, or anyone else. I suggest telling that new shooter to go to as many gun shops, and/or gun shows, and handle all the guns they can get hold of. Just like they would try on shoes. Before long they'll be able to make a list of guns that feel ok, pretty good, real good, and "that really feels great in my hands". The last two are the ones to pursue, and here's why I say that....

If a given handgun doesn't feel "right" in your hands, you'll not shoot it enough to become proficient with it, because it's not comfortable, and you won't like shooting it. If you're not gonna become proficient with it, save your money, and buy a ball bat to carry. With proper fundamentals, you can learn to shoot almost any handgun. Very few folks can re-train their hands to make just any handgun feel comfortable.

The last suggestion.........proper shooting techinques, practiced slowly, but proficiently, will breed speed. Do it slowly, and do it the right way, every time.......If you practice speed first, and introduce less efficient techniques into your training, you'll have to do it all over again to get it right.

By the way..... anyone who introduces a new shooter to our pastime by having them start with a large-caliber handgun, makes a very poor decision. Yes, some folks do ok starting out with large calibers, but the vast majority will not continue to shoot if their very 1st experience is with .50 S&W.

Again, just my ramblings.... but they work for me...

Shoot Safely....

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 08-22-2010, 09:07 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Some people will limit themselves to only one carry piece. I have several choices that I use. Different circumstances require different answers.
Awareness and preparedness are key.
Living here in Az we have all kinds of different weather. Hot cold so having several different choices comes in handy.

I normally carry my XD45C but when going outside for long periods of time like to watch a game or something I carry my Sig P239 in 9mm in a Milt Sparks VMII under my t-shirt.

Your every day life will tell you what to carry and what not to. Just my 2 cents.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:02 AM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wouldn't suggest an auto if you don't shoot alot because a semi-auto handgun takes some training and range time to get down. Revolver would be the way to go.

If you must go auto, I would suggest Kel-Tec's handguns, very very small, some of the models could easily fit in your pocket.

The p3AT is extremely small and fires the .380 auto, 6+1 cap, optional belt clip so you can tuck it in your pant waist

Kel Tec CNC

If you need something with a larger capacity or caliber, try the Kel Tec PF9 or P11 chambered in 9mm.

Remember you want something completely out of sight. In some States even if someone see's the handgun on you by accident you could go to jail or some nonsense like that. (even with cc permits)

Old 08-23-2010, 11:38 AM   #20
Jay

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts

I've heard the semi-auto takes more training theories, but it's not like the pursuit of a Master's Degree. I've been teaching handguns for many years, and the vast majority of students gravitate towards semi-auto's, rather then revolvers. It's a personal choice, but there are factors on both sides of the discussion.

semi... more rounds

revolver... just pull the trigger... unless the D/A pull requires you to cock it first

semi may have a safety, but you likely won't have to cock it first

most carry-sized revolvers have more perceived recoil than semi-autos of the same size

I've seen by far, more ladies trade in the revolver that hubby bought 'em for a semi-auto, than the other way around.

The notion that the revolver is the style for dummies is just incorrect. My classes over the years, have proved to me that more folks tend to prefer semi-autos than revolvers. Bottom line, it's up to the shooter.

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Newest Threads