Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Getting my CCW, What to use revolver/autoloader???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2010, 04:55 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Getting my CCW, What to use revolver/autoloader???

So, I'm getting my CCP in a 2-5 years (If you haven't figured out, I'm a bit young for a firearms enthusiast.) And I've been wondering, What's the advantages of a revolver over an automatic, or visa versa? A few obvious ones are that the automatic can pump out more fire power, but the revolver usually tends to be smaller and less of a pain to carry as opposed to a heavy 1911...

Can I get some experienced advice on this? I want to narrow down my choices.

"The Tree of Liberty must be watered from time to time with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants."
Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by canebrake; 09-02-2010 at 11:22 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-20-2010, 05:11 AM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

A revolver tends to go bang everytime. A semi (any make) can malfunction much more easily.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 02-20-2010, 05:52 AM   #3

Do a lot of research. Test both then buy your favorite.
You'll probably want to own both a revolver and a semi.

Its worth it to buy both because you're sacrificing something no matter what you carry. Just do your research, it'll be worth it.

Personally, I don't have a CCP but once I do I'll carry whatever I feel like at the time. For instance, a full size .45 1911 is heavy but I'm comfortable with that weapon and its always cold around here so I'll have no problem concealing it.
But when I just feel like I don't want to tote around steel I'll choose a polymer 9mm. Now if I feel like I just want comfort I'll grab my .38 snubby lightweight revolver. Its all up to your personal tastes and how you feel at that time.

Research, research, research!

You'll also want to research ballistics and barrel lengths to help you decide.

Old 02-20-2010, 03:20 PM   #4

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You will want to handle alot of guns to find one that fits you. Take your time. I carried a ppk for many years, but decided to get something with more knock down. Settled on a 1911 with a kydex IWB. holster. Much more comfortable than the walther. And super concealable. Your holster and belt are as important as the gun. Good luck

Old 02-20-2010, 04:00 PM   #5

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Carry the largest gun, that you can conceal and carry comfortably

All these super-duper tiny, new late breaking technological advances may be oh-so cool to chatskie at the watercooler about, but many times they arent practical for primary carry.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 02-20-2010, 05:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghillie-Monster View Post
So, I'm getting my CCP in a 2-5 years (If you haven't figured out, I'm a bit young for a firearms enthusiast.) And I've been wondering, What's the advantages of a revolver over an automatic, or visa versa? A few obvious ones are that the automatic can pump out more fire power, but the revolver usually tends to be smaller and less of a pain to carry as opposed to a heavy 1911...

Can I get some experienced advice on this? I want to narrow down my choices.
The posts above make good points...but since you have time, first consider the most important question. Are you willing to kill if necessary? I have heard many people with 'carry permits' and pistols on their persons or in their purses say they refuse to kill. They actually hope to scare their assailants by pulling their weapon, of firing it at their feet, or maybe give the bad guy a "Hollywood style" arm/leg wound--but NO MORE! In those cases assailants will take the gun and use it on the owner. I've looked down both ends of a gun, and nobody really knows what they will do until the time comes. But since you have lots of time spend some time pondering this. Then if you get a carry permit, buy what you can hit the target with quickly, repeatedly using one hand & either hand. Good luck!

Old 02-20-2010, 08:00 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Oledog, with all due respect the guy asked about carry options, not about the reprocussions of having to use it, willingness to "kill" etc....... Please stop by the introductions forum.

My 1911 only weighs 28oz with the aluminum frame.

Like willfully armed said, carry the largest caliber you can conceal and shoot well with.

A carry gun is supposed to be comforting, not comfortable.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:45 PM   #8

We can all tell you what we like, but you will have to see what you like. Some prefer revolvers, others autos, large ones, small ones and each person might be comfortable with something different.

Dont buy only because somebody tells you to get what they like. You are smart to be thinking about this so far ahead of time...use that time to learn all you can about them, shoot as many as you are able to until you find one that makes you say "this is the one".

Old 02-21-2010, 12:14 AM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
Carry the largest gun that you can conceal, carry comfortably, and shoot proficiently.
Fixed, but the point stands. The "ideal" carry will vary from person to person.

My two cents: Autos have gotten very, very good in recent years, but there's no substitute for a revolver when it absolutely, positively has to go "bang" every time. Then again, it's tough to carry 8+1 rounds of .45 ACP (Or 19+1 rounds of 9mm) in a revolver. Everything has advantages and disadvantages. Except Glocks - they have the ghey. =P

So, shoot as many different guns as you can, find what you like, and decide what you value most in a carry gun. Thankfully, you've got plenty of time to experiment, and a lot of good knowledge from the people on this board.
Ruger Mk III Competition .22 LR, S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm

Last edited by Mr. Bluesky; 02-21-2010 at 12:25 AM.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:37 AM   #10

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey View Post
You will want to handle alot of guns to find one that fits you. Take your time. I carried a ppk for many years, but decided to get something with more knock down. Settled on a 1911 with a kydex IWB. holster. Much more comfortable than the walther. And super concealable. Your holster and belt are as important as the gun. Good luck
Well put dewey, and +1 on the holster and belt! Your carry belt should cost as much as your holster!

My favs;

A 1.5" bull-hide carry belt by Jim Speidel is the best bang for your buck, IMHO! I own one and about to order my second. (Different color)

Gun Belts by The Belt Man

"Holsters = Crossbreed, once you go ugly, you'll never go back!" cane

SuperTuck Deluxe

As far as the gun to go in the carry rig, find "Your" gun through exhaustive search and research.

Of course, a Colt model O4860XSE Lightweight Commander would be my choice.
1coo4860xse.jpg  

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello